Alexei full-time at second base?

rokimar

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Interestingly, the two White Sox announcers and the Cleveland announcers commented on his huge swing on that play, noting he should know it's a contact play and to cut down on the swing.

He won't adjust his swing for different situations. Some believe (and I agree with this) that he has star quality written all over him. It's almost like expecting Soriano to swing to contact. It isn't going to happen.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't adjust his swing for different situations. Some believe (and I agree with this) that he has star quality written all over him. It's almost like expecting Soriano to swing to contact. It isn't going to happen.

Well I would disagree he won't adjust his swing. I agree he has tremendous potential. He did adjust his bunt "swing" to the butcher boy, so he has shown the ability to adjust. There have been other times too when he hits the ball to the right side in the appropriate situation, which (to me) made the huge swing on the hit and run more frustrating to me, and to the two Sox announcers as well for what that's worth.

All that said, I like Ramirez and have been encouraged by his progress, particularly recently. I am impressed with his defense at 2B and I didn't expect it to be as good as I'm seeing.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Well I would disagree he won't adjust his swing. I agree he has tremendous potential. He did adjust his bunt "swing" to the butcher boy, so he has shown the ability to adjust.

Well I would consider that an exception to the rule. I don't see him adjusting his swing to the count or where runners are in scoring position. He's up there to do one thing and that's hit the ball as hard as he can every time up. I think with a tweak here and there, he'll be able to do that.

Well I would consider that an exception to the rule. I don't see him adjusting his swing to the count or where runners are in scoring position. He's up there to do one thing and that's hit the ball as hard as he can every time up. I think with a tweak here and there, he'll be able to do that.

Fair enough. He has potential as we agree upon so let's just hope he continues to make progress in all aspects of the game.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 28, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
by the way, hitting .307 since May 12.... roughly when he started seeing consistent atbats

All I ever wanted for Alexei was a chance to get consistent ABs... he was rotting away on the bench. It's just like I felt for Anderson last year. Either play him more or send him down, but keeping him on the bench, you're doing him no favors.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
All I ever wanted for Alexei was a chance to get consistent ABs... he was rotting away on the bench. It's just like I felt for Anderson last year. Either play him more or send him down, but keeping him on the bench, you're doing him no favors.

it may have helped him though...he has gotten a chance to see big league pitching, to learn how pitchers like to operate...i mean this guy in all probability hadnt seen more than 9 innings of american baseball til he came here...i think hes been able to learn while being on the bench, though i understand it would have been nice to get him consistent ABs in the minors if it wasnt here...either way i think he should be better than uribe from here going forward...

the thing ive been most impressed with has been hes defense....hes really smooth out there and hes got a nice arm....the few double plays ive seen him turn have been the quickest ive seen for a 2b in a while

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
it may have helped him though...he has gotten a chance to see big league pitching, to learn how pitchers like to operate...i mean this guy in all probability hadnt seen more than 9 innings of american baseball til he came here...i think hes been able to learn while being on the bench, though i understand it would have been nice to get him consistent ABs in the minors if it wasnt here...either way i think he should be better than uribe from here going forward...

the thing ive been most impressed with has been hes defense....hes really smooth out there and hes got a nice arm....the few double plays ive seen him turn have been the quickest ive seen for a 2b in a while

Richar's not too bad at the DPs himself from what I could tell.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
Know what I noticed that is cool about Ramirez. Watch how he catches groundballs. Uses two hands and gets down. Very fluid.

Plus he has a serious arm. You don't see many infielders who can throw as hard sidearm, or off 2nd base on a DP, as he does.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
Know what I noticed that is cool about Ramirez. Watch how he catches groundballs. Uses two hands and gets down. Very fluid.

Yea, he's a smooth fielder for the most part, although he needs to learn a primary position (SS I'd say) and stick. I'd love to see him finish out the year as a servicable (talking OPS around 700 here) with good defense 2B. Then he spends all winter at SS and all spring at SS and is the everyday SS next season.

It's awesome how much young talent this team appears to have after seemingly having nothing going into the offseason last year. Ramirez, Fields, Q, Swisher, Richar -- all those guys have proven (or sorta proven in Richar's case) that they are talented young cheap players. It's great to see!

QUOTE (feistyboy @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
Swisher hasnt proven squat for me. I am impatiently waiting for more from him.

He's young (27), talented (career OPS .809, OPS+ 114), and he's relatively cheap (26 mill over the next 4 years).

It hasn't shown much in a Sox jersey, but he's a part of the young nucleus.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:42 AM)
I don't...he has much more value to this team than Pablo Ozuna does. If anything, I hope he's DFA'd.

I disagree strongly. Ozuna at least offers some offensive potential and while his D might not be as good as Uribe's, he has played a fine 3B in place of Crede. Could we upgrade on Ozuna? Probably. But that fat pile of goo isn't it. I believe it's time we cut ties with Uribe once and for all.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)
I disagree strongly. Ozuna at least offers some offensive potential and while his D might not be as good as Uribe's, he has played a fine 3B in place of Crede. Could we upgrade on Ozuna? Probably. But that fat pile of goo isn't it. I believe it's time we cut ties with Uribe once and for all.

What the f*** are you talking about? Ozuna is a terrible player who offers negative defense at every position. Uribe can play 3 IF positions quite well and is a better hitter than Ozuna.

Good grief.

QUOTE (KevinM @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
What the f*** are you talking about? Ozuna is a terrible player who offers negative defense at every position. Uribe can play 3 IF positions quite well and is a better hitter than Ozuna.

Good grief.

The career .252 hitter, who is batting in the .190's this year and batted in the .230's last year, and who is argueably the worst offensive player in the majors, is a better hitter? Sure he plays better D, but Uribe is one of the worst offensive players I've ever seen in the past 3 years. Ozuna might not be a great hitter, but he is sure as hell better than Uribe with the stick. I think anyone who can hold a bat would be better than Uribe with the stick.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:43 AM)
The career .252 hitter, who is batting in the .190's this year and batted in the .230's last year, and who is argueably the worst offensive player in the majors, is a better hitter? Sure he plays better D, but Uribe is one of the worst offensive players I've ever seen in the past 3 years. Ozuna might not be a great hitter, but he is sure as hell better than Uribe with the stick. I think anyone who can hold a bat would be better than Uribe with the stick.

And I think anyone who can put on a glove would be better than Ozuna with the leather. What do you want from your utility IF? Uribe is the prototype for utility IF.

Edited by KevinM

QUOTE (KevinM @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
And I think anyone who can put on a glove would be better than Ozuna with the leather. What do you want from your utility IF? Uribe is the prototype for utility IF.

Maybe if Uribe would get the same amount of time as Ozuna does, maybe. But as long as Uribe is on this team, you know Ozzie will use him over more deserving players.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
Maybe if Uribe would get the same amount of time as Ozuna does, maybe. But as long as Uribe is on this team, you know Ozzie will use him over more deserving players.

Ramirez and Uribe are essentially the same player, so I'm not really concerned who gets more playing time.