Alexei full-time at second base?

rokimar

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
That's a pretty good question.

This happened just after the Orioles vs Cuba game.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb52...06/ai_n19690424

Since then, the Orioles had signed cubans but they have not bid for anyone coming new to America. When a foreigner come to America, they are whatever citizenship they have and they can be free agents. But we can not. MLB does not want to see it that way.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
I have a question... why was a defector like Yunel Escobar drafted, while another defector like Ramirez was a FA?

Escobar came to the USA by boat. He elected to stay in the USA and entered the draft. If someone comes after the draft, then you wait until next year draft. Escobar had no name so he had no business going to a third country to obtain legal papers. Nowadays, it becoming increasingly difficult for cubans to go use the third country route. many of these governments are lefty and simpathetic of the cuban regime.

Alexei has a dominican wife. She was studying medicine in Cuba. He visited the D.R. in the past, but this time he did not return to Cuba. He got his D.R. paper through the wife. His wife is a doctor now.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Escobar came to the USA by boat. He elected to stay in the USA and entered the draft. If someone comes after the draft, then you wait until next year draft. Escobar had no name so he had no business going to a third country to obtain legal papers. Nowadays, it becoming increasingly difficult for cubans to go use the third country route. many of these governments are lefty and simpathetic of the cuban regime.

Alexei has a dominican wife. She was studying medicine in Cuba. He visited the D.R. in the past, but this time he did not return to Cuba. He got his D.R. paper through the wife. His wife is a doctor now.

So, if you go the third country route, you are a free agent, while if you go straight to America or a place Puerto Rico, you are a draft eligible player?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
So, if you go the third country route, you are a free agent, while if you go straight to America or a place Puerto Rico, you are a draft eligible player?

Puerto Ricans are US citizens

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
Puerto Ricans are US citizens

well duh, they are a territory of the U.S. Any non-nitwit knows that. I was just saying if they went to one of the U.S. Territories like Puerto Rico.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
well duh, they are a territory of the U.S. Any non-nitwit knows that. I was just saying if they went to one of the U.S. Territories like Puerto Rico.

Oh my bad, I thought you were putting Puerto Rico in the category of the DR or what have you.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)

You are correct.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
The big question, how old is Contreras?

He is much younger than El Duke for sure. I do not think he lied becuase MLB had the Orioles-Cuba rosters info. Nowadays, lying about your age can be costly because team can void your contract. Many teams can go to the IBAF and request team info. The IBAF member is an american now too and he is close to MLB.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
Oh my bad, I thought you were putting Puerto Rico in the category of the DR or what have you.

Us sane conservatives and you wacky liberals can never quite understand each other :P

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
Us sane conservatives and you whacky liberals can never quite understand each other :P

lol, I'm not a wacky liberal, people assume that, but i'm not. :lol:

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
After tonight, he might be around .265. :cheers

Try 10 points higher.

2 weeks ago we were talking about a player who was batting under .200 and some were saying he had no business in the majors.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
Try 10 points higher.

2 weeks ago we were talking about a player who was batting under .200 and some were saying he had no business in the majors.

I don't recall anybody actually saying that (the rational posters anyway). Mostly everyone was saying that he needed consistent ABs in AAA, though. I don't think too many people expected him to get this hot this fast.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
Try 10 points higher.

I've been Alexei's biggest fan, and two weeks ago I was saying he should either be starting or playing full time in Charlotte.

Having not read most of this thread and being a lifelong Uribe supporter, Ramirez has my vote after the last few games. I know it's a small sample size, but to the best of my recollection he was pursued by many a team during the offseason, and this is what he was eventually expected to do. At this point in the season, whatever clicks offensively needs to stay until it stops clicking. Down with OCab! Bring on Juan for SS!

No, but seriously, unless Cabrera starts producing like he's supposed to, there is no reason why Uribe and Cabrera shouldn't share the spot. While he's not batting .047 anymore, he got two of the s***tiest RBI I've seen last night. He's playing just as hit or miss as Uribe, only when Juan hits, he hits it onto the expressway. When Orlando hits, he hits it just out of the second baseman's reach. Plus, Uribe's cooler.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
OMG we now have a 2B who is hitting for a respectable batting avg. Alexi is hitting .275 and it feels like hes hitting .375. Im so giddy lets celebrate :headbang .

That's because he has. Since May 18th, he is batting .385 with a .985 OPS in 52 ABs. When he gets a better feel for the strikezone and can take some walks, he is going to be even better.