Carlos Quentin

DaTank

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

A load of crap. Through the first vote, CQ is not even within the top 15 of AL All-Star voting. Here's what it looks like so far...

1. Ramirez, M. Red Sox 539,122

2. Suzuki, I. Mariners 284,763

3. Guerrero, V. Angels 274,827

4. Ordonez, M. Tigers 236,890

5. Abreu, B. Yankees 233,147

6. Hamilton, J. Rangers 229,711

7. Cabrera, M. Yankees 200,248

8. Sizemore, G. Indians 193,508

9. Hunter, T. Angels 190,850

10. Damon, J. Yankees 189,844

11. Drew, J.D. Red Sox 185,673

12. Crisp, C. Red Sox 149,801

13. Crawford, C. Rays 149,732

14. Granderson, C. Tigers 145,490

15. Upton, B.J. Rays 102,623

Anybody else think the methods on voting needs to be changed? I know it's only the first vote total, but still, it's so corrupt that he isn't even within the top 15. Thoughts?

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ May 27, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Anybody else think the methods on voting needs to be changed?

The AGS voting system needs to be changed if the game is to be anything more than a meaningless exhibition. If I were a contender in the AL, I'd be pretty pissed if Quentin wasn't at least on my bench.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 27, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
The AGS voting system needs to be changed if the game is to be anything more than a meaningless exhibition. If I were a contender in the AL, I'd be pretty pissed if Quentin wasn't at least on my bench.

Quentin will be on the team.

What makes it hard for CQ is he isn't even on the ballot. I believe teams have to submit their all-star ballot entries at the beginning of the year. He will only get votes on write-ins. He will be on that fan vote at the end of the balloting and will probably have a good chance to get in if he continues to play as well as he has.

Oops. Everyone beat me to it.

Edited by BFirebird

My point is that voting methods need to be changed. I'm so tired of seeing nobody but Sawx and Yanks players winning every year when many of them don't deserve it. I wouldn't mind something like having the writers vote like they do for HOF balloting or players and management doing the voting, not being able to vote for their own players. At least do something fair.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ May 27, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
Would you put Linebrink in the ASG game as well???

Honestly...probably not. Simple logic here...first choice goes to the closers. In the AL, you've got 5 potential top ones. Rivera, Nathan, Jenks, Papelbon, and Rodriguez, all who have piled up 10+ saves so far and have ERA's under 2.35. On top of that, Liney isn't the top set up man in the AL right now. Okajima's only given up 2 runs in 20 innings for a 0.86 ERA. And there's always the potential issue of needing to find a guy from a team that's struggling or not putting up big numbers to take.

Liney keeps up the low 1's ERA's, then he's got a case, but when you're going up against closers, middle relief is a rough position to make the AS team from.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 27, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
what's equally sad is that josh hamilton isn't in the top 5, whereas the top 3 are all having years well below their all-star norms

Tek at catcher? Pedroia over Kinsler? Thome 3rd in DH? really? that's just dumb. Vlad in the top 3? Damon on that list at all?

yeah. it's just a huge joke ESPECIALLY since it now "means something" which is also the dumbest idea ever. though i'm gonna call right now that the NL is finally getting their home field advantage this year.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 27, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Tek at catcher? Pedroia over Kinsler? Thome 3rd in DH? really? that's just dumb. Vlad in the top 3? Damon on that list at all?

yeah. it's just a huge joke ESPECIALLY since it now "means something" which is also the dumbest idea ever. though i'm gonna call right now that the NL is finally getting their home field advantage this year.

Ahead of ALL those other great designated hitters.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
coco crisp, jonny damon, melky cabrera, jd drew, and bobby abreu are in the top 15 vote getters, that's all i need to say

since probably 70-75% (or more) baseball fans are ignorant about the game, it's players, stats other than balls/strikes/homeruns, they need to take the ASG ballot out of the hands of the fans

when a game like this actually serves quite a large meaning ultimately, letting the general public determine the talent that goes into that game is ludicrous.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:01 AM)
since probably 70-75% (or more) baseball fans are ignorant about the game, it's players, stats other than balls/strikes/homeruns, they need to take the ASG ballot out of the hands of the fans

when a game like this actually serves quite a large meaning ultimately, letting the general public determine the talent that goes into that game is ludicrous.

Yet Jerry Owens is on the ballot and Quentin is not. I think Garvey is the only write-in candidate ever to be elected. Don't worry, if Quentin keeps this up he will be on the ballot.

Its silly anyway that this game, an exibition, should mean home field advantage for the WS. It should be which league has the better interleague record.

It helps a bit that we can expect CQ to be on the team at least as a reserve. However, these days, that is not completely reassuring, either. The last few years we have seen an increased trend of reserves not even getting in the game, likely because of the WS home field implications of actually winning the game. Managers can't just empty the benches anymore to give every all star his due exposure. In fact, if memory serves, last year I believe a team had a lone representative who didn't get in, giving that team zero representation. How nice for their fans...

SFF

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:24 AM)
It helps a bit that we can expect CQ to be on the team at least as a reserve. However, these days, that is not completely reassuring, either. The last few years we have seen an increased trend of reserves not even getting in the game, likely because of the WS home field implications of actually winning the game. Managers can't just empty the benches anymore to give every all star his due exposure. In fact, if memory serves, last year I believe a team had a lone representative who didn't get in, giving that team zero representation. How nice for their fans...

SFF

What manager wouldn't want to put Quentin in over a guy who got in on popularity alone, though?

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
coco crisp, jonny damon, melky cabrera, jd drew, and bobby abreu are in the top 15 vote getters, that's all i need to say

well hey, we cant say much. ny and redsox fans are voting a lot! more than us!