What is going on??

gosox41

I heard 3 distrubing things today that can greatly affect clubhouse chemistry:

1. Cabrera whining like a littile baby to the official scorer in the middle of a game. Forget him. That's garbage.

2. Ovtavio Dotel going after Allen Thomas-not sure if this true, but it's what I heard. What's the story behind it?

3. Alexi Ramirez ignoring Guillen's bunt sign in the 12th last night. Yes we all know it worked out, but who's running this team, Ramirez or Guillen. Nice to know a .200 hitting rookie is calling the shots.

Are Sox management going to stand for this? Looks to me like the inmates are running the asylum. Cabrera is selfish and a cry baby. I don't know about you, but where I work physcially going after an employee is not a good idea. Last, Ramirez should listen to the manager.

Am I over analyzing this, or are these 3 incidents somewhat disconcerting?

Bob

According to Cowley, the front office was livid when OC publically stated that Scioscia was the best manager he's played for. Supposedly, OC hasn't been close to the leader they thought he'd be. Instead, he's the first one to leave the clubhouse after the game.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:49 AM)
I think people are upset because you see it so rarely now, it's not recognized as a baseball play. At one time, it was very common, but obviously would have to take place in bunting situations.

Cliff Politte had no problem doing it in Colorado during the 2005 season.

yea PK is just bad... and im tired of hearing about his thumb!! If its that bad he should go to the DL. As far as O Cab is concerned, it doesnt bother me that he called the press box guy, the guy has pride out in the field defensively, and it also doesnt bother me that he said Scoscia was his best manager, Rowand also said that when he left the Sox about Ozzie. As long as he makes plays for 'the new' team i dont give a rats poop. The only thing that concerns me with this team is Konerko and Thome, they are just bad this year. I think Swisher will be fine, same with Buerhle, but Thome is the one guy who is showing his age.... and we cant have that as our DH if we are going to contend.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
According to Cowley, the front office was livid when OC publically stated that Scioscia was the best manager he's played for. Supposedly, OC hasn't been close to the leader they thought he'd be. Instead, he's the first one to leave the clubhouse after the game.

Why would they care? Everyone has opinions. It's not meant as a knock on Ozzie.

Bob

Skimming through the Trib sports section today I read a comment from Konerko to the tune of him being able to try and grind it out or he could take time off to let it heal to the point where he's comfortable. I love Paulie and all, but this is painful to watch and there's no other way to put it. Give him 2 weeks off, bring someone up, maybe Fields, and see where that takes you. A half inning with Paulie scheduled to bat at this point is a 2 out inning for the opposing pitcher/defense.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ May 27, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Skimming through the Trib sports section today I read a comment from Konerko to the tune of him being able to try and grind it out or he could take time off to let it heal to the point where he's comfortable. I love Paulie and all, but this is painful to watch and there's no other way to put it. Give him 2 weeks off, bring someone up, maybe Fields, and see where that takes you. A half inning with Paulie scheduled to bat at this point is a 2 out inning for the opposing pitcher/defense.

The big problem is, 2 weeks off seems like it's not going to make a difference according to the diagnosis people.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
Why would they care? Everyone has opinions. It's not meant as a knock on Ozzie.

Bob

I agree, I mean he's played for Ozzie for less than 2 months. But it also depends on the context.

Is there a contender out there that would be willing to deal for a SS? The Blue Jays? The Rays? The Red Sox?

If this causes KW problems I don't know what he can do. I wouldn't be at all opposed to a MIF of Alexei at SS and Richar at 2B since that might be our future anyway, but you can't deal Orlando without getting what you'd consider fair compensation, i.e. something worth close to the picks that Type A status brings.

Kenny isn't the type of guy who will put up with a whole lot of s*** from his players though, and from his quotes he doesn't exactly seem thrilled with Mr. Cabrera. With Richar and Uribe both on the come-back trail, if this keeps up it won't be long before Cabrera is on the block.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 28, 2008 -> 05:17 AM)
Is there a contender out there that would be willing to deal for a SS? The Blue Jays? The Rays? The Red Sox?

If this causes KW problems I don't know what he can do. I wouldn't be at all opposed to a MIF of Alexei at SS and Richar at 2B since that might be our future anyway, but you can't deal Orlando without getting what you'd consider fair compensation, i.e. something worth close to the picks that Type A status brings.

Kenny isn't the type of guy who will put up with a whole lot of s*** from his players though, and from his quotes he doesn't exactly seem thrilled with Mr. Cabrera. With Richar and Uribe both on the come-back trail, if this keeps up it won't be long before Cabrera is on the block.

unless the sox go in the crapper and are out of contention by the deadline, there is no compelling reason to trade cabrera.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ May 27, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
I heard 3 distrubing things today that can greatly affect clubhouse chemistry:

1. Cabrera whining like a littile baby to the official scorer in the middle of a game. Forget him. That's garbage.

2. Ovtavio Dotel going after Allen Thomas-not sure if this true, but it's what I heard. What's the story behind it?

3. Alexi Ramirez ignoring Guillen's bunt sign in the 12th last night. Yes we all know it worked out, but who's running this team, Ramirez or Guillen. Nice to know a .200 hitting rookie is calling the shots.

Are Sox management going to stand for this? Looks to me like the inmates are running the asylum. Cabrera is selfish and a cry baby. I don't know about you, but where I work physcially going after an employee is not a good idea. Last, Ramirez should listen to the manager.

Am I over analyzing this, or are these 3 incidents somewhat disconcerting?

Bob

I'd be curious to hear more about this as well.

Actually Rock this was all in the Sun-Times this morning.

And what's causing concern is:

a) O Cab is starting to seem like a guy in a walk year phoning it in, worried more about his stats and trade value than the team or what his manager thinks

B) The fact that O Cab now won't talk to the Sun-Times for apparently running the story about his calls to the press box, but was overheard calling Ozzie out to another reporter, claiming he needs to back his players, which of course made it right back to Ozzie. Not good.

c) Then of course while all this is going on Dotel manages to get into an altercation with the conditioning coach--!!!, never heard that one before--which provides yet another distraction.

Doesn't sound like all is well in that clubhouse.

Plus, you take into account that the so-called verteran team "leaders" Konerko and Thome are playing like dookie and probably should be benched/rested. Another actual leader, Buehrle, is probably so wrapped up in his poor record this season he can't really be The Guy.

What a weird season so far. If O Cab keeps the mouth running, I could easily see him packaged with Konerko or Crede or whomever by the ASB to get that leadoff hitter we don't have.

QUOTE (rafacosta @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)
I believe PK and Swisher hitting nothing is a much bigger issue...

I agree. Don't read too much into these stories or so called issues. Plus did Ramirez "ignore" or did he "miss" the bunt sign? I only believe about 1/4 of what I read on perceived inner turmoil stories. What we ned to see is production from Konerko, Swisher, Thome and some others and all will be good again. Plus I believe when I last looked at the standings we were in 1st place.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
Go tell your boss how much better this other guy you used to work for was. See how happy he is.

Yes, that's for certain, but another think is is that Ozzie knows Socsia (you know that guy in La-La land) is a real good manager. Nothing wrong with being positive about people who influenced you in the past

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
Go tell your boss how much better this other guy you used to work for was. See how happy he is.

So should every Puerto Rican player on the Sox get pissed because Ozzie said that Alomar is the greatest player from PR?

I don't think the comment about Socsia is an issue. I think Ozzie would probably second that. He never seemed like the type to not give others their due, and downplay himself.

It's the sniping at Ozzie that's going to blowback on O Cab.

Carlos Lee, anyone? Buh-bye...

I get the overall impression that OCab is having trouble adjusting to life in Chicago. It was like getting fired from a place you absolutely loved to work and being forced to move out of state to a company with a weaker benefit package.

He loved his boss, his team, the weather, his role, etc. Now, all of a sudden he is rejected via a trade. His new manager is not nearly as calm and laid back as the former, the weather is lousy for the first two months of the season, and he is expected to be a leader among a team full of guys he does not know. Meanwhile, he is in his walk year.

I think he is pouting and thinking about the places he would rather be right now, particularly, LA. I hope the warm summer weather and tank tops will help adjust his attitude and keep him hitting like he has been recently. This pouting just does not cut it with me, no matter how much he liked it elsewhere.