McClellan: Bush misled U.S. on Iraq

HuskyCaucasian

I seem to recall that when Richard Clarke had his book coming out around election time, McClellan tearing into Clarke in his press briefing on March 22, 2004 when asked about Richard Clarke’s book blasting the Bush Administration for 9/11 and CIA intelligence failures:

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, why, all of a sudden, if he (Richard Clarke) had all these grave concerns, did he not raise these sooner? This is one-and-a-half years after he left the administration. And now, all of a sudden, he’s raising these grave concerns that he claims he had. And I think you have to look at some of the facts. One, he is bringing this up in the heat of a presidential campaign. He has written a book and he certainly wants to go out there and promote that book.
Hmmm.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
I seem to recall that when Richard Clarke had his book coming out around election time, McClellan tearing into Clarke in his press briefing on March 22, 2004 when asked about Richard Clarke’s book blasting the Bush Administration for 9/11 and CIA intelligence failures:

Hmmm.

That also is a totally valid criticism/accusation IMO.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 28, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
This is just an obvious play for money if I've ever seen one.

Most likely. Unless he wanted to go back into government service again, because this pretty much precludes that.

But that's not even the real question anyway. The important question is, are the allegations true? Certainly they fit the pattern of what this administration has done. But its possible he may have exaggerated things, or embelished. Who knows? I'd like to see some folks vet out the book a bit, try to corroborate some things.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 28, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
This is just an obvious play for money if I've ever seen one.

I dunno. Put yourself in his shoes. You are calling out the President of the U.S. and his staff. Don't you think this guy will be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2008 -> 07:20 AM)
Lol. For all of the Presidents we have had over the last generations that you could trust...

Isn't that sad. I use the babysitter test. Which First couple would I want babysitting my kids? In my lifetime, I'd have to go with either the Carters or the elder Bush. Bill and Hillary would be at the bottom of the list. Of the current crop of candidates, I'd probably just stay home and watch them myself. But if that was not an option

Obama = McCain > Clinton

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 29, 2008 -> 07:59 AM)
Isn't that sad. I use the babysitter test. Which First couple would I want babysitting my kids? In my lifetime, I'd have to go with either the Carters or the elder Bush. Bill and Hillary would be at the bottom of the list. Of the current crop of candidates, I'd probably just stay home and watch them myself. But if that was not an option

Obama = McCain > Clinton

Based on that test, I think I'd trust McCain or Obama over most of the recent Presidents. Exceptions: Carter and Bush I.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)
Based on that test, I think I'd trust McCain or Obama over most of the recent Presidents. Exceptions: Carter and Bush I.

Seems like an interesting topic, I added a poll to the 'buster. I wish I had added if it is the same person you would vote for.

CNN/ABC reporter: Corporate executives forced pro-Bush, pro-war narrative

Jessica Yellin -- currently a CNN correspondent who covered the White House for ABC News in 2002 and 2003 -- was on with Anderson Cooper last night discussing Scott McClellan's book, and made one of the most significant admissions heard on television in quite some time:

JE
S
S
ICA YELLIN, CNN CONGRE
S
S
IONAL CORRE
S
PONDENT: I thin
k
the pre
s
s
corp
s
dropped the ball at the beginning. When the lead-up to the war began,
the pre
s
s
corp
s
wa
s
under enormou
s
pre
s
s
ure from corporate executive
s
, fran
k
ly, to ma
k
e
s
ure that thi
s
wa
s
a war that wa
s
pre
s
ented in a way that wa
s
con
s
i
s
tent with the patriotic fever in the nation and the pre
s
ident'
s
high approval rating
s

And my own experience at the White Hou
s
e wa
s
that, the higher the pre
s
ident'
s
approval rating
s
, the more pre
s
s
ure I had from new
s
executive
s
-- and I wa
s
not at thi
s
networ
k
at the time -- but
the more pre
s
s
ure I had from new
s
executive
s
to put on po
s
itive
s
torie
s
about the pre
s
ident.

I thin
k
, over time...

(CRO
S
S
TAL
K
)

COOPER: You had pre
s
s
ure from new
s
executive
s
to put on po
s
itive
s
torie
s
about the pre
s
ident?

YELLIN: Not in that exact -- they wouldn't
s
ay it in that way, but they would edit my piece
s
. They would pu
s
h me in different direction
s
They would turn down
s
torie
s
that were more critical and try to put on piece
s
that were more po
s
itive, ye
s
That wa
s
my experience.

Read the full article

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 29, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
Why not?

I'm asking why do you think that "big corporations" were pushing for the war, AND that they were loving GWB, as alledged by the article you cited.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 29, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
I'm asking why do you think that "big corporations" were pushing for the war, AND that they were loving GWB, as alledged by the article you cited.

I honestly don't know why. I wish I knew.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2008 -> 06:06 AM)
Most likely. Unless he wanted to go back into government service again, because this pretty much precludes that.

But that's not even the real question anyway. The important question is, are the allegations true? Certainly they fit the pattern of what this administration has done. But its possible he may have exaggerated things, or embelished. Who knows? I'd like to see some folks vet out the book a bit, try to corroborate some things.

Well, you can't take anything he says with a grain of salt because just a while ago he was one of the president's supporters. And from what I've heard, it is that his editor "edited" a lot of the book.

Is some of it true? Probably, but that "truth" has been stretched out several times over, IMO.

I also think it is telling that he sprints to go on the far left media stations like MSNBC, but Fox news? Never...

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 29, 2008 -> 06:07 AM)
I dunno. Put yourself in his shoes. You are calling out the President of the U.S. and his staff. Don't you think this guy will be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life?

Not really. This isn't some bad espionage movie, it's real live :)

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Well, you can't take anything he says with a grain of salt because just a while ago he was one of the president's supporters. And from what I've heard, it is that his editor "edited" a lot of the book.

Is some of it true? Probably, but that "truth" has been stretched out several times over, IMO.

I also think it is telling that he sprints to go on the far left media stations like MSNBC, but Fox news? Never...

His motivations are one thing, but the content in the book is altogether different.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)

Hmmm.

It seems that at a hotel in NY last night, Scooter ran in to Richard Clarke, just after Clarke finished up on the Daily Show (Where Scooter will be on Monday). There was an apology involved.