Scott Hatteberg

Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
Pick him up and DL Konerko, he could then be the lacking bat off the bench when Konerko comes back.

Am I the only one that thinks this move makes too much sense?

Hatteberg does have some potential it seems - his career lines remind me a lot of Ross Gload. But I think Eldred could give you something similar for less. Hatteberg's advantage is that he hits lefty, but Eldred has the advantage of age (Eldred is 27, Hatteberg is 38 - pretty darn old).

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
Pick him up and DL Konerko, he could then be the lacking bat off the bench when Konerko comes back.

Am I the only one that thinks this move makes too much sense?

So we need a 4th backup 1st baseman/DH? I didnt know that

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 28, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
So we need a 4th backup 1st baseman/DH? I didnt know that

If Konerko is DL'd, since I'm pretty sure we're not playing Thome at 1B except in interleague, the only real 1B on the team to back him up is Swish. Playing Swish there and Anderson in CF isn't a bad idea either, but picking up Hatteberg or Eldred may be equally useful. And I forgot to add earlier, Eldred can just be called up then sent back down - Hatteberg needs to be signed to a contract, and may not have any options left.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
If Konerko is DL'd, since I'm pretty sure we're not playing Thome at 1B except in interleague, the only real 1B on the team to back him up is Swish. Playing Swish there and Anderson in CF isn't a bad idea either, but picking up Hatteberg or Eldred may be equally useful. And I forgot to add earlier, Eldred can just be called up then sent back down - Hatteberg needs to be signed to a contract, and may not have any options left.

Playing Swish at 1b and Anderson in CF is probably actually a preferable option in my eyes. But here's the kicker...if you go that route, you have no backup 1b on the roster. Unless you're going to take Thome out of the DH slot if Swisher gets hurt or needs a day off, the backup 1b could be quite useful.

Just a few comments on this topic, first on Hatteberg. There have been criticisms of Thome here regarding bat speed and age. Hatteberg is in the same boat, he's pushing 39 and there's a reason he can't crack a very mediocre Cincinnati lineup playing for a manager who loves veterans.

Even if they do end up DL'ing Konerko, they've got Swisher and there are two guys at least who can play 1B in an emergency, those being Dye and Ozuna. That's why you see DeWayne Wise up here now as a fill in ... he adds speed and defensive flexibility. Hatteberg is much more one dimensional.

As for Brad Eldred, if strikeouts and bad at bats frustrate you, you will not like him. There's a reason why he's playing in AAA at this point in his career.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 28, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Just a few comments on this topic, first on Hatteberg. There have been criticisms of Thome here regarding bat speed and age. Hatteberg is in the same boat, he's pushing 39 and there's a reason he can't crack a very mediocre Cincinnati lineup playing for a manager who loves veterans.

Even if they do end up DL'ing Konerko, they've got Swisher and there are two guys at least who can play 1B in an emergency, those being Dye and Ozuna. That's why you see DeWayne Wise up here now as a fill in ... he adds speed and defensive flexibility. Hatteberg is much more one dimensional.

As for Brad Eldred, if strikeouts and bad at bats frustrate you, you will not like him. There's a reason why he's playing in AAA at this point in his career.

just to pile on we need to get younger and faster, not older. Brad eldred most likely will never see a game in the majors he is this years version of crash davis.Now have I mentioned ryan freel to anyone?

QUOTE (quickman @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
just to pile on we need to get younger and faster, not older. Brad eldred most likely will never see a game in the majors he is this years version of crash davis.Now have I mentioned ryan freel to anyone?

Hatteberg is a flyer like Edmonds.

I like Anderson and think he should be playing more but what happens if he flames out and is hitting .200?

Hatteberg is a bench player and hits left handed. There is no left handed bat on the bench. I believe he caught at one time (I could be wrong) and could be an emergency guy that allows Ozeroo to use both catcher's in favorable late game match-ups. Something he has been reluctant to do.

At this point in time there is no need for the number of pitchers that this team is carrying. There are a ton of off days between now and the end of July taht make the rest of pitcher's even more favorable.

QUOTE (quickman @ May 28, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)

How long before Cristian Guzman's name is mentioned?

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)

I agree with you completely regarding Eldred. However, I do think there is a chance Eldred could be duplicating Thome's power numbers and low average to this point of the season. I also believe that there is a far >>> % that Thome would finish the year with much better numbers. Despite my constant belittling of Thome, I will not be at all surprised to see him finish the year with a .260-.265 average, 170K's, and 35 Hr's (and an OBP in the .370+ range).

However, it should be said that I personally do not consider those acceptable numbers on a team with a lot of pure sluggers as is. I understand that while I feel this way, that the statheads of the world will say the opposite and gush about what would be a very solid OPS. I prefer to have an OPS driven more on average and slugging than walks and slugging. I will continue to say that hits, not walks, drive in runs (in terms of starting innings, hit or walk, either works great, but to drive in runs you need HITS). Plus when you face very good pitchers (ie, above league average pitchers or even aces) you have a much lower chance (typically) of drawing a walk so being a good hitter becomes even more important (since you can't rely on drawing the walks and are going to have to really have a solid approach to get a hit off a good to great pitcher).

It should be pointed out that Hatteberg did a very good job in 06 & 07 (rock solid numbers, average wise, obp wise, & ops wise). This season he has been worse than anyone on the White Sox offensively though. I don't know if it is injury related or if he's just finished. A good scout who has followed him and can break down the footage should be able to identify that. If he's not swinging any different than the previous years and its more just him being hampered, I wouldn't be opposed to it. However, I suspect his decline has more to do with diminished skills. He's hitting .173 in 34 games.