DLS had elbow surgery

fathom

Fautino De Los Santos-S- Athletics May. 29 - 9:35 am et

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Fautino De Los Santos "had elbow-ligament replacement surgery this week."

The newspaper doesn't go into any further details, but he was recently shut down because of elbow soreness and Tommy John surgery would sideline him for the remainder of this season and much of 2009. Acquired from the White Sox this offseason as part of the package for Nick Swisher, De Los Santos was one of the A's top prospects.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

This makes the Swisher struggles so far a little easier to take.

Edited by fathom

Fautino De Los Santos-S- Athletics May. 29 - 9:35 am et

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Fautino De Los Santos "had elbow-ligament replacement surgery this week."

The newspaper doesn't go into any further details, but he was recently shut down because of elbow soreness and Tommy John surgery would sideline him for the remainder of this season and much of 2009. Acquired from the White Sox this offseason as part of the package for Nick Swisher, De Los Santos was one of the A's top prospects.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

This makes the Swisher struggles so far a little easier to take.

What's also interesting to note is the White Sox minor league people were handling DLS with kid gloves last year, he had some minor elbow issues, quite possibly the year before as well. Pitching prospects are one huge roll of the dice.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 29, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
Ryan Sweeney has that nice lookings .293 average and .353 on base percentage.

I wonder if he will develope any power..... Slugging just barely over .400

I kind of doubt it at this point. We've been waiting for him to develop power for a while and it just hasn't happened(and yes I know he's still very young). He'll be a solid player but nothing special imo.

I think by the end of this season, this deal will look like a pretty good one for the Sox. Gio isn't exactly tearing it up, FDLS is out for the year... the only player doing anything is Sweeney, and I'd bet that Swisher will have a better OPS than Ryan by the end of the season. Add that to what Swiher adds to the clubhouse and his long cheap-ish contract, and I still think this was a decent trade. Not a steal, but a trade that helped the club overall.

the only guy i was really upset to give up in this deal was Gio.

Understandable. Not that it matters much but he's been very ordinary in AAA for Oakland. However it's only the end of May.

I have my doubts about him. Small stature and a lot of torque on that arm with that curveball. To be honest I wasn't upset about giving up any of the three. DLS worried me the most but I knew he had some minor elbow issues which can turn into major elbow issues as we've just seen. Sweeney is playing well and good for him. Despite Swisher's struggles I think he'll bring more to this team over the next several years than anything they gave up.

The key is restocking the pitching prospects in the draft and also making astute deals for pitchers who haven't lived up to their rep elsewhere.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ May 29, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
the only guy i was really upset to give up in this deal was Gio.

Not doing so good in AAA.

Player W L ERA G GS IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WHIP HLD GF

Gio Gonzalez 2 2 5.37 11 11 53.2 59 34 32 6 0 28 51 1.62 0 0

Did he usually struggle when first moved up each time?

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
Did he usually struggle when first moved up each time?

He struggled his first season in AA, but that was with the Phitin Phils organizatin. He came back to the Sox and put up solid #'s while repeating AA in Birmingham, although that's something of a pitcher's park.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 29, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
I've never been impressed with sweeney. DLS and Gio were hard to let go for me. But, I was happy before the injury and now this just makes it a lot easier to take. Swisher will come around. When he does, he will be one of our top 3 hitters.

I hope so, but I'm actually really worried about him.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 29, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
I hope so, but I'm actually really worried about him.

Of the three hitters that are struggling mightily - Swisher, Thome and Konerko - Swisher worries me the least. Thome worries me the most in terms of diminishing skills, and Konerko concerns me if his hand can't heal up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
He struggled his first season in AA, but that was with the Phitin Phils organizatin. He came back to the Sox and put up solid #'s while repeating AA in Birmingham, although that's something of a pitcher's park.

Maybe he will struggle and the Athletics will trade him back to us and he will eventually land us another player.

1. Thome 2. Swisher 3. ???????

It is utterly amazing how many White Sox pitchers end up flaming out, have surgery, or get hurt after leaving the organization. It is like a kiss of death.

What can this be attributed to? Conditioning? Workload?

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 29, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
It is utterly amazing how many White Sox pitchers end up flaming out, have surgery, or get hurt after leaving the organization. It is like a kiss of death.

its smart upper management...reluctance to give long term deals to pitcher because they know they have a tendancy to break down

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 29, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)

The elbow issue usually comes down to mechanics. It is a ligament that becomes stretched to the point of being useless and needs to be tightened up and reinforced. The ulnar nerve which sits under the ligament also becomes stretched which causes the "funny bone" pain or tingling going down the forearm. It's not a muscle that can become fatigued. Although too much workload can fatigue the forearm flexors and pronators which will put excessive stress on the ligament.

Fortunately with the advent of more efficient and effective surgical procedures most of the pitchers who get this come back healthy. The problem normally lies in can the pitcher be effective with different mechanics and that is a crapshoot.

Pierre, Toronto: Under the knife went Fautino De Los Santos - Tommy John surgery. What does it mean for him in the long haul?

SportsNation Keith Law: Gee, the White Sox traded a pitcher who needed surgery right away. I feel like that's happened before (coughSirotkacough). The lost year of development hurts, because he's more raw arm than polished pitcher. Probably sets him back two years when it's all said and done.

heh ...keith law sounds pretty upset still..i believe he was in the toronto upper management when that trade went down

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 29, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
heh ...keith law sounds pretty upset still..i believe he was in the toronto upper management when that trade went down

Oh boo f***ing hoo, they should do better work with their medical reports. It's not a surprise that Pat Gillick isn't whining about Freddy going down, because he has a bit of class.

That, and the Sox kind of just gave them Iguchi.

Keith Law's a bum.