Anthony Carter (Crazy stats)

A poster over at SSS brought him to my attention. He is a 22 year old righthanded starting pitcher at Kanny. Here are his stats for this season thus far...

5-1, 1.92 ERA, 56 1/3 IP, 38 H, 3 HR, 9 BB, 61 K's, 0.83 WHIP

That ERA, BB/K ratio, and WHIP are tremendous. I hope he makes AA before the season is over, and then AAA by 2009 season, and maybe make a bid at the rotation by 2010. I am getting a little ahead of myself, but his numbers are nasty right now.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=457580

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Well, no one has done an AAP on him yet. Why don't you take a shot at that? Might find something in your digging.

ETA: Looking at his baseball cube page, he was a 26th round pick in 2005, but didn't sign in time to play that year. Did lousy in Bristol his first year (2006), then pretty good in GF in 2007. Now he's dominating in Low A. He also just turned 22. With his numbers improving dramatically each year, the org may have a gift 26th rounder. Or, it could be he's just a low-level dominator.

One worry - he's listed at 6'2" and 170, which is pretty skinny. Or, per MiLB.com, he's 6'3" and 180 - still skinny.

And here's a really bad pic of him.

Here something from MLB.com when he was drafted in 2005.

Body similar to Kevin Brown. Athletic RHP w/ quick, strong arm. FB arm side run, occasional cut life. Establishes FB, likes to work inside. Late, sharp break slider w/ some tilt. Feel for straight change. Around plate w/ all pitches. Arm strength w/ projectable body.

But I still wanna see some velocity numbers.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Here something from MLB.com when he was drafted in 2005.

But I still wanna see some velocity numbers.

That's actually a pretty positive little blurb - makes him sound pretty projectable, with good movement and location. Velocity may be a concern (who knows), but, its not everything in any case.

In his 10 starts this year, Carter has struck out 8 guys 3 times... and 7 guys 3 times. (Almost all of those games he only worked 6 innings per too.) The most walks he's given up in any game is 2. And he's had 4 starts where he hasn't walked anybody.

I'd love to hear more about his stuff if anyone can find anything on him.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 30, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
One worry - he's listed at 6'2" and 170, which is pretty skinny. Or, per MiLB.com, he's 6'3" and 180 - still skinny.

And here's a really bad pic of him.

I wouldn't worry about that too much, Milb.com is not very accurate with their heights and weights. There's a guy (Matt German, the former closer for Northern) who's about a normal size (6 foot, 185-190 pounds) and Milb has him listed at 6'8" and 240LBS. Who knows where they make some of the sizes up.

Not even close

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
That's actually a pretty positive little blurb - makes him sound pretty projectable, with good movement and location. Velocity may be a concern (who knows), but, its not everything in any case.

I think the most encouraging thing is his awesome control. 61 K's and just 8 walks. Thats remarkable. As we saw with MacDougal, you can have electric stuff, but if you can't locate it, it dosen't matter. I love that this kid is throughing through a teacup. I am really excited about him just from what we have read and seen through his stats.

Does anyone here have an MiLB account? You can watch all the Kannapolis games if you do. It's like $7 a month for the subscription. If anyone has it, it would be nice to hear how he looks.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
I think the most encouraging thing is his awesome control. 61 K's and just 8 walks. Thats remarkable. As we saw with MacDougal, you can have electric stuff, but if you can't locate it, it dosen't matter. I love that this kid is throughing through a teacup. I am really excited about him just from what we have read and seen through his stats.

I'd bet damn good money he's not throwing through a teacup in A ball. In fact, I'd venture to guess he's getting quite a few generous calls down there that he wouldn't dream about getting in AA.

His control's a bit overrated. He's one to watch, but I'd look at how he does in AA or get a velocity report before I'd even consider Carter a prospect. Not a non-prospect, just a wait-and-see minor leaguer. Similar to Cook.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)
I'd bet damn good money he's not throwing through a teacup in A ball. In fact, I'd venture to guess he's getting quite a few generous calls down there that he wouldn't dream about getting in AA.

His control's a bit overrated. He's one to watch, but I'd look at how he does in AA or get a velocity report before I'd even consider Carter a prospect. Not a non-prospect, just a wait-and-see minor leaguer. Similar to Cook.

Based on what? Maybe he is actually getting squeezed on those walks and he really is even better than his 66/10 shows. I mean, unless there is something to back that up, I dont think it's a fair assessment to make.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)

You can't compare Cook and Carter. Cook is very old for his level, where as Carter has done nothing but produce from the get go and isn't near as old or as experienced. I agree its a wait and see with him, but he's got a good arm. I'm working on getting some info on his exact velocity, but I know he was drafted as a projectable guy and at the time of the draft I remember hearing he was throwing in the upper 80's (ie, actually pitching in that range, so there is definately a chance he pushed that velocity up into the 90's).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
A poster over at SSS brought him to my attention. He is a 22 year old righthanded starting pitcher at Kanny. Here are his stats for this season thus far...

5-1, 1.92 ERA, 56 1/3 IP, 38 H, 3 HR, 9 BB, 61 K's, 0.83 WHIP

That ERA, BB/K ratio, and WHIP are tremendous. I hope he makes AA before the season is over, and then AAA by 2009 season, and maybe make a bid at the rotation by 2010. I am getting a little ahead of myself, but his numbers are nasty right now.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=457580

I personally like Poreda and Ely better even though their numbers are worse just because of their draft positions. Hopefully he pans out but lots of pitchers dominate low A. (remember Ray Liotta? god I wish he made the bigs)

QUOTE (Noberto Martin @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:21 AM)
I personally like Poreda and Ely better even though their numbers are worse just because of their draft positions. Hopefully he pans out but lots of pitchers dominate low A. (remember Ray Liotta? god I wish he made the bigs)

Yeah, I like Poreda better as well just because he was drafted in the first round so he is probably a safer pick, but regardless, it will be fun to follow Carter and see if he goes through the levels well.