Where's Bureau?

Marky Mark

This from Chisoxfn:

I will clear things up in a short summation. While we are not 100% on the information posted, we did perform some follow-up confirmations (those follow-ups indicated that the information appeared to be legit). However, we are not in the business of ruining peoples careers and the material posted was such that could ruin someones career. As such, we pulled it from the site.

Edited by kapkomet

Haha, we think a little bit too highly of ourselves. "We're" not ruining careers. Bureau is, if at all. Let the man post what he wants. He's an adult. I had to browse Cheat's website to find out all the information. And I heard we tried to strong arm him, as well.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 30, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
Haha, we think a little bit too highly of ourselves. "We're" not ruining careers. Bureau is, if at all. Let the man post what he wants. He's an adult. I had to browse Cheat's website to find out all the information. And I heard we tried to strong arm him, as well.

soxtalk = scientology

Are we talking about Bureau here, as well? I don't know much more about it so I won't continue to act as if I do.

Concerning the actual story on Soxtalk, even if it were unconfirmed and uncorroborated, what's the issue? We're not a legitimate news media and shouldn't have to be held to the same standards. This is baseball, afterall. People have created threads before of imminent signings and rumors claiming some sort of knowledge most aren't exposed to. We're not revealing the identiy of CIA agents, here. And neither should anyone care about our reputation if, say, everything Bureau posted and claimed to have inside connecitons proved to be wrong. This is a problem with WSI -- they seem to believe they're more than a fan-run website.

I know I'll probably experience the wrath of moderators and administrators, but I just can't feel for Bureau because he provided the information himself. Tell the WORST that could happen to Soxtalk? We exposed inside information about the restructuring of the minor league system. hahaha, that's nothing important. It'd be different in Bureau came in here claiming Williams is having an affair with some random girl.

I'll comment on this subject one last time. When this item was initially posted, we did our dilligence and went to sources to confirm the validity to the extent we could. We did exactly that and determined that what was being posted was to be considered reasonable (or as reasonable as anything can be which is confirmed through online intermediaries).

However, as things progressed it became clear that the information posted could lead to larger issues (none, specifically related to Soxtalk). However, based on numerous discussions (not just amongst admins/mods mind you) we deemed it appropriate to remove such stuff from public information in order to do our best to try and clean up a mistake which was made (note, that we did all things to the extent to insure that no matter what, Soxtalk performed no innapropriate actions).

The fact of the matter is that while I run this site to discuss Sox baseball and thrive on being the best community out there which at times breaks newsworthy stories well in advance of the national media(because we have a lot of people here who have an ear to someone close to the organization or in the organization), there are other things that are more important. And in certain instances, that includes the jobs of the people who have helped out or provided us with outstanding information.

Bottom line, Soxtalk's position is that there are certain things greater than baseball and while what was said was said and was in motion, we deemed it appropriate to try and protect to our best extent the long term consequences of said actions in our attempt to do what we could to protect the "source".

I will also make one comment regarding Cheat's Blog. We simply made a request, no strong-arming no nothing. I won't get in the details of the request but nowhere did we demand anything, we solely stated our reasoning behind our actions and that the person concerned wanted us to reach out (since they did not know who ran the blog). I'm fully aware that Cheat's blog is his business and I completely respect his decision. I disagree with the way he handled the situation (ie, throwing Soxtalk under the bus even though the information would have never been out there without Soxtalk, nor did I ever have to provide any additional information I provided him with regarding the situation) but I'm more than willing to take such heat for trying to protect a poster.

It all goes back to the basics that Soxtalk was established under and I've always felt we've done our best to ensure that every member here has an enjoyable experience.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 30, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
Are we talking about Bureau here, as well? I don't know much more about it so I won't continue to act as if I do.

Concerning the actual story on Soxtalk, even if it were unconfirmed and uncorroborated, what's the issue? We're not a legitimate news media and shouldn't have to be held to the same standards. This is baseball, afterall. People have created threads before of imminent signings and rumors claiming some sort of knowledge most aren't exposed to. We're not revealing the identiy of CIA agents, here. And neither should anyone care about our reputation if, say, everything Bureau posted and claimed to have inside connecitons proved to be wrong. This is a problem with WSI -- they seem to believe they're more than a fan-run website.

I know I'll probably experience the wrath of moderators and administrators, but I just can't feel for Bureau because he provided the information himself. Tell the WORST that could happen to Soxtalk? We exposed inside information about the restructuring of the minor league system. hahaha, that's nothing important. It'd be different in Bureau came in here claiming Williams is having an affair with some random girl.

I will say one thing regarding this (otherwise I've said everything that needed to be said in the post I made). There is a major difference between me, or someone else posting something that we've heard from someone we know or that is close/involved with the organization and an actual employee of an organization posting this sort of information. And I say that with upmost respect to you Flash because I know you have the best interest of the site at heart. I also want to point out that while we may not be a media source, nor have we ever silenced anyone who wants to slam the White Sox (if you think they suck, by all means you can spew it as long as it is in an intelligent, anti spamming/trolling fashion).

I'll comment on this subject one last time. When this item was initially posted, we did our dilligence and went to sources to confirm the validity to the extent we could. We did exactly that and determined that what was being posted was to be considered reasonable (or as reasonable as anything can be which is confirmed through online intermediaries).

However, as things progressed it became clear that the information posted could lead to larger issues (none, specifically related to Soxtalk). However, based on numerous discussions (not just amongst admins/mods mind you) we deemed it appropriate to remove such stuff from public information in order to do our best to try and clean up a mistake which was made (note, that we did all things to the extent to insure that no matter what, Soxtalk performed no innapropriate actions).

The fact of the matter is that while I run this site to discuss Sox baseball and thrive on being the best community out there which at times breaks newsworthy stories well in advance of the national media(because we have a lot of people here who have an ear to someone close to the organization or in the organization), there are other things that are more important. And in certain instances, that includes the jobs of the people who have helped out or provided us with outstanding information.

Bottom line, Soxtalk's position is that there are certain things greater than baseball and while what was said was said and was in motion, we deemed it appropriate to try and protect to our best extent the long term consequences of said actions in our attempt to do what we could to protect the "source".

I will also make one comment regarding Cheat's Blog. We simply made a request, no strong-arming no nothing. I won't get in the details of the request but nowhere did we demand anything, we solely stated our reasoning behind our actions and that the person concerned wanted us to reach out (since they did not know who ran the blog). I'm fully aware that Cheat's blog is his business and I completely respect his decision. I disagree with the way he handled the situation (ie, throwing Soxtalk under the bus even though the information would have never been out there without Soxtalk, nor did I ever have to provide any additional information I provided him with regarding the situation) but I'm more than willing to take such heat for trying to protect a poster.

It all goes back to the basics that Soxtalk was established under and I've always felt we've done our best to ensure that every member here has an enjoyable experience.

Jason, you made the right call here. I inquired behind the scenes and was told Bureau did not know the extent of SoxTalk's audience nor the ramifications of some of his technically incorrect statements. The statement of Regier getting fired was clearly wrong, and some of the frills and dressings he added were, shall we say, unnecessary.

He tried to supply good information to fans and his emotions got the best of him. He was really concerned about proving his status or validity here, or whatever one would like to call it. He is better off not posting stuff and hey, so be it. He has his job to think of.

As for "Cheat", he's been anonymous for years. The guy who runs that networks of blogs ... at least his identity is in the open, unlike the mango tree dweller. Not surprising at all that an anonymous blogger would throw anyone or any website under the bus, it's easy when you're anonymous. You are not anonymous Jason, and you did the right thing here.

Edited by 29andPoplar

Everyone here has the opportunity to edit or delete their own posts. You put it up, you can put it down. Seems like a friendly thing to do. No one here is earning a living off this, we aren't after Pulitzer prizes. When we get so full of ourselves we can't allow people to retract their posts, priorities are seriously out of order.

honestly, does it not trouble anyone if BE really does (did?) scout for the sox? fascinating as his material was sometimes, and as much as i appreciated a glimpse behind the curtain, the sheer willful ignorance of posting some of his info, were it true, boggles me. i mean, i suppose being sensible on that type of thing isn't necessarily linked to being able to project a prospect accurately, but i'm just not sure i want that kinda mind helping rebuild our farm.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 30, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
Everyone here has the opportunity to edit or delete their own posts. You put it up, you can put it down. Seems like a friendly thing to do. No one here is earning a living off this, we aren't after Pulitzer prizes. When we get so full of ourselves we can't allow people to retract their posts, priorities are seriously out of order.

Zeus gave a box to Pandora, the first woman, with strict instructions that she not open it. Pandora’s curiosity soon got the better of her, and she opened the box. All the evils and miseries of the world flew out to afflict mankind

Welcome to the perils of the internet. Its a fast moving entity, the minute you click submit you must race and beat the human entities, bots, spiders, archive sites as they race at random times to move your data out into the open off of your controlled environment. The minute you click on submit, you have taken typed word and have put it up for display. You can as a site attempt to clean the data up, however its only safe and removed if it hasn't been archived. Hopefully BE learned this, as well as some other posters. Sometimes when the box is open, it never closes.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:46 AM)
question, is Bureau banned?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
Bureau hasn't been banned has he?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
No one was banned.

Somewhat relevant, somewhat trivial at this point...I would like to point out the fact that Soxtalk was put under scrutiny by Sports Illustrated a few years back for the Roger Clemens positive steroids test, when he "never" "tested" "positive" "for steroids."

The Mitchell Report has helped clear some of that up, and Clemens isn't doing himself any favors nowadays either.

(if he does end up [admitting/convicted] [to/of] steroid use, I really hope SI issues an apology to Soxtalk)

While I may not have been literally banned, it appears that there have been technical measure taken to make Soxtalk inaccessible from my IP address. I've been unable to log into the site since the 29th, which just so happened to be right after I pointed out that a simple google search of the name Bureauemployee171 would turn up references and full posts excerpted from this site which the powers that be seem to be trying to hide.

And to further let the users of this site know that while the admin can claim they haven't banned anyone -- that's what they'd like you to believe -- I'm mysteriously unable to access the other "Talk" sites, which I'm not a member of.

Soxtalk didn't ban or IP ban anyone.

Note: To Any MOD/ADMIN, LEAVE CHEAT's POST UP. Soxtalk has nothing to be ashamed of and I want Gene's post to stay up (to further prove the point that we could give two s***s about your baseless claims).

I've been unable to log into the site since the 29th, which just so happened to be right after I pointed out that a simple google search of the name Bureauemployee171 would turn up references and full posts excerpted from this site which the powers that be seem to be trying to hide.

And to further let the users of this site know that while the admin can claim they haven't banned anyone -- that's what they'd like you to believe -- I'm mysteriously unable to access the other "Talk" sites, which I'm not a member of.

Well, lots of people here have been subjected to decisions they haven't liked. Everyone else gets over it so I'm sure you will too.

The good news is, this will be more fodder for your blog. Inquiring minds want to know.

Anyways, it's just a decision that was made, apparently. Sort of like you remaining anonymous.

Soxtalk didn't ban or IP ban anyone.

Note: To Any MOD/ADMIN, LEAVE CHEAT's POST UP. Soxtalk has nothing to be ashamed of and I want Gene's post to stay up (to further prove the point that we could give two s***s about your baseless claims).

You go girl. :notworthy

Of the eight google hits that come back from Bureau's name, five have information to the scandal. Four are linked directly or indirectly to South Side Sox.

If you have a problem with how this was handled, talk to Jason and company. Venting this publicly is extremely childish at best.

And if you want to access the site and post, just use a proxy.

QUOTE (Gene Honda Civic @ May 31, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
So which is it? You guys seem to want it both ways

You happen to notice that one of the posts is a member making a suggestion to you if you were having trouble accessing the site. He's saying if its your IP, just use a Proxy. I'm stating (an admin and the owner) that no IP ban was done.

But again, despite me sending emails to you informing you about the situation as it was going on (which was me being nothing but respectful and sharing information I never had to share), you publicy try to berate Soxtalk based upon "baseless" claims.

I'm cleaning up the last couple posts from this thread and closing it. The point of this thread was to answer the questions as to what happened to Bureau and I believe those have been answered. For any further comments, feel free to send any of the admins/mods PM's and we'll be happy to answer/respond to them.

Note to Cheat: I would have kept your last post up but I think PM's between one member and another member should be private. If you want to make some edits and make any further points you want, feel free to shoot them to me in a PM and I can put that in a post (I don't want it to come off as if I'm trying to silence anything). More important than that, I don't want this thread turning into a public pissing match.