About this time last year...

Wanne

Home teams are winning at a .577 clip this year. The Sox have played as few home games as anyone. Even with their lack of hitting, they are sitting pretty. I heard one theory the other day why home teams are winning at a higher rate is the lack of amphetimes.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
The DBacks fired hitting coach Kevin Seitzer...and went on to win their division. Just sayin.......

It's not like teams don't do this all the time. Eddie Murray got fired in Cleveland in '05 and the Indians stormed back from under .500 to almost catch the Sox. Hitting coaches are hired and fired all the time.

Unless Greg Walker has bought you dinner, I don't see why anyone here would support keeping him. Our hitters look clueless at the plate.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
It's not like teams don't do this all the time. Eddie Murray got fired in Cleveland in '05 and the Indians stormed back from under .500 to almost catch the Sox. Hitting coaches are hired and fired all the time.

Unless Greg Walker has bought you dinner, I don't see why anyone here would support keeping him. Our hitters look clueless at the plate.

Eddie Murray got fired because he was a miserable schmuck. That's also why Walt Hriniak and Gary Ward got the boot with the White Sox. Walker is highly respected and liked by the players. The only name anyone mentions is Baines. He won't be the hitting coach. Any other names?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
Eddie Murray got fired because he was a miserable schmuck. That's also why Walt Hriniak and Gary Ward got the boot with the White Sox. Walker is highly respected and liked by the players. The only name anyone mentions is Baines. He won't be the hitting coach. Any other names?

I have a solution, call the vets into a meeting and tell them that they have until the end of June to fix their hitting. If they dont their buddy gets s***canned. If he is that loved, I expect that they will lead the league in hitting in June and we are back on track.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
I have a solution, call the vets into a meeting and tell them that they have until the end of June to fix their hitting. If they dont their buddy gets s***canned. If he is that loved, I expect that they will lead the league in hitting in June and we are back on track.

If the hitting coach needs to get "s***canned" because the team got shut down by Shields and Kazmir, there should be a lot of hitting coach openings around the league. Every team that Jose Contreras has pitched well against should be looking for a new hitting coach. They must all suck.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)

The fear of the great unknown. I too am worried the Sox wouldn't be able to maintain their 26th best hitting pace without the steady hand of Greg Walker.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
If the hitting coach needs to get "s***canned" because the team got shut down by Shields and Kazmir, there should be a lot of hitting coach openings around the league. Every team that Jose Contreras has pitched well against should be looking for a new hitting coach. They must all suck.

I am sure that in the month of June they will not face ace's every game. Its a month, it will balance out. The month starts tomorrow.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
The fear of the great unknown. I too am worried the Sox wouldn't be able to maintain their 26th best hitting pace without the steady hand of Greg Walker.

Yet you offer no names for a replacement. The problem is not the coach. Its the mix of hitters. It took KW a couple of years before he figured he had to do something serious with the bullpen. He has been just as slow to react with the stagnant offense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
If the hitting coach needs to get "s***canned" because the team got shut down by Shields and Kazmir

and Andy Sonnenstine... and Jered Weaver... and Joe Saunders.... and Aaron Laffey... and Dustin McGowan ... and Jesse Litsch... and Shawn Marcum ...

The Sox seem to get shut down more than any other team except the Royals.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
and Andy Sonnenstine... and Jered Weaver... and Joe Saunders.... and Aaron Laffey... and Dustin McGowan ... and Jesse Litsch... and Shawn Marcum ...

The Sox seem to get shut down more than any other team except the Royals.

How about the Tigers?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
Yet you offer no names for a replacement. The problem is not the coach. Its the mix of hitters. It took KW a couple of years before he figured he had to do something serious with the bullpen. He has been just as slow to react with the stagnant offense.

The mix of hitters would be fine if they were hitting up to their potential. I would like to see a more balanced lineup but it doesn't mean the Sox should be languishing near the bottom of baseball when it comes to hitting. None of these guys have close to the right approach. Maybe it's not all Walker's fault but if he's so powerless to do anything about it, why even have a hitting coach at all?

If I had access to KW's information, I'm sure I could come up with a competent list of replacements. Are you trying to say there's only a handful of guys fit enough to be hitting coaches in the majors?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)

That's why they pay Kenny the big bucks...it's his job...not a bunch of internet hacks. All I was doin' was sayin that sometimes people need a jolt in the ass...and if that means the beloved Greg Walker gets the boot...so beit. This offense has sucked ass for 2 and a half years...time for a wakeup call. You make it seem that Greg Walker is irreplaceable....

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
The mix of hitters would be fine if they were hitting up to their potential. I would like to see a more balanced lineup but it doesn't mean the Sox should be languishing near the bottom of baseball when it comes to hitting. None of these guys have close to the right approach. Maybe it's not all Walker's fault but if he's so powerless to do anything about it, why even have a hitting coach at all?

If I had access to KW's information, I'm sure I could come up with a competent list of replacements. Are you trying to say there's only a handful of guys fit enough to be hitting coaches in the majors?

What is their potential? People here talk out of both sides of their mouths. Thome is old and washed up, or is it Walker that makes him unable to hit? Konerko has a bad hand. Swisher has been horrid, and I don't think its because of Walker. How many players can you say aren't hitting up to what you would consider their potential because of Greg Walker?

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
That's why they pay Kenny the big bucks...it's his job...not a bunch of internet hacks. All I was doin' was sayin that sometimes people need a jolt in the ass...and if that means the beloved Greg Walker gets the boot...so beit. This offense has sucked ass for 2 and a half years...time for a wakeup call. You make it seem that Greg Walker is irreplaceable....

And the guy getting the big bucks isn't firing him. I just don't see where changing the hitting coach will mean an offensive explosion. This team has no lead off hitter. Little speed. Its pretty much station to station home run or bust. That is what needs to be changed. If it means sacrificing a few home runs, it probably is time for a change.

Edited by Dick Allen