Question for stat rats

gosox41

Not sure where to look this up or if it's even calculated.

Throughout MLB the lat 5 or 10 years, does anyone know the winning percentage is for teams that gives up 1, 2, or 3 runs a game? On the same note, how does that compare to the Sox winning percentage this year when giving up 1, 2 or 3 runs a game? We've had exceptional pitching and should have the best record in baseball IMHO. I'd like to see how the stats bear out.

The Sox are 10-1 when they allow 1 run, 6-6 when they allows 2 runs, and 3-1 when they allow 3 runs. That is a 19-8 record when you allow 3 or less. I am sure that it is a game or two below the norm, especially the 6-6 with only 2 runs allowed. However, I don't think a change here would actually give us the "best record" in baseball.

In comparison, Boston is 18-5 when allowing 3 runs or less, and they have a much better offense than us.

The issue is clearly the offense. They were shutout 4 times in May compared to only once in April.

The Sox seem to be riding CQ, and when he doesn't produce, they lose. They are 3-13 when CQ goes hitless, and 4 of those losses are shutouts. Coincidence or not?

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
The Sox are 10-1 when they allow 1 run, 6-6 when they allows 2 runs, and 3-1 when they allow 3 runs. That is a 19-8 record when you allow 3 or less. I am sure that it is a game or two below the norm, especially the 6-6 with only 2 runs allowed. However, I don't think a change here would actually give us the "best record" in baseball.

In comparison, Boston is 18-5 when allowing 3 runs or less, and they have a much better offense than us.

The issue is clearly the offense. They were shutout 4 times in May compared to only once in April.

The Sox seem to be riding CQ, and when he doesn't produce, they lose. They are 3-13 when CQ goes hitless, and 4 of those losses are shutouts. Coincidence or not?

Thank you for the info. I didn't realize they were 19-8 when giving up 3 runs or less. I'd still like to know how that compares to the rest of the majors the last few years. Unfortunately I don't know where to go to look it up.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Thank you for the info. I didn't realize they were 19-8 when giving up 3 runs or less. I'd still like to know how that compares to the rest of the majors the last few years. Unfortunately I don't know where to go to look it up.

That's not a stat that's generally available...you'd have to research something like that. Baseballreference.com has every box score from the last gazillion years, so the information is out there, it just isn't organized.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
That's not a stat that's generally available...you'd have to research something like that. Baseballreference.com has every box score from the last gazillion years, so the information is out there, it just isn't organized.

I wish I had the time.