It should be BA time

gosox41

If I'm the Sox this is what I would do right now. DL PK. Make BA (and not Ramirez) the everyday CF. BA has been more productive to the 2008 Sox then PK both offensively and defensively all year so I can make an argument that we're a better team.

Not sure what the deal is with Swisher, but maybe playing him out of position is taking it's toll on his offense. He is a corner OFer or first baseman. Now he can play first base for the next couple of weeks.

When PK is due to come off the DL (assuming he can swing the bat with some authority and not have his thumb bother him) insert him back in the line up. If by this time Swisher or Thome aren't showing signs of hitting sit the weak one and leave BA out there. PK can DH or play 1B depending on on whether Thome or Swisher is still scuffling.

If Thome and Swisher are both hitting, then sit BA and see how PK's thumb acts.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
The only thing is its not like BA is hitting the crap out of the ball either.Your offense is sad when people get excited over a guy who is hitting .240.

BA is hitting .240? He's hitting .221 with no power and a low OBP.

I hate Nick Swisher as much as the next guy, but nothing infuriates me more than talk of the magical Brian Anderson MVP Express that will save the White Sox season.

Anderson is all glove and no bat. The more you see him hit, the less you like him. With Swisher, there is potential he can regain his previous form. With Anderson, the best you can hope for is that he might hit enough to justify a stay on the major league roster. Swisher has been adequate in CF this year, so it's not like you've got Mackowiak playing center for you where it's just a total embarassment. As such, I'll take the drop off in defense for the hitting potential. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Swisher's not going to get better with his ass on the bench.

I would not mind Anderson playing if they want to DL Paulie, though.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
If Konerko isn't going to hit, and is apparently injured, DL him for a few weeks. I don't know that Anderson is ever going to be more than a .240-.250 hitter, but at least CF will be well taken care of defensively with so many low scoring games.

Exactly.

This team has enough bad hitters in the lineup, the last thing we need is Anderson playing everyday. The month of May he hit .158 with a .200 obp and this is the guy you want playing everyday? 488 lifetime at bats and you have a career .219 hitter with a .278 obp....I want to see this Anderson designated for assignment not playing....

This team has enough bad hitters in the lineup, the last thing we need is Anderson playing everyday. The month of May he hit .158 with a .200 obp and this is the guy you want playing everyday? 488 lifetime at bats and you have a career .219 hitter with a .278 obp....I want to see this Anderson designated for assignment not playing....

DFA? That's going way overboard, sir.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
Anderson is all glove and no bat. The more you see him hit, the less you like him. With Swisher, there is potential he can regain his previous form. With Anderson, the best you can hope for is that he might hit enough to justify a stay on the major league roster. Swisher has been adequate in CF this year, so it's not like you've got Mackowiak playing center for you where it's just a total embarassment. As such, I'll take the drop off in defense for the hitting potential. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Agreed to a certain extent, although Swisher is not a long-term option in CF. And as long as Anderson is hitting better than Swisher, I'd like to see Ozzie continue to give BA the nod a couple of days a week and give Swish some at-bats playing 1B and DH. If BA regresses to 2006 form, play Swish in CF every day.

It's likely that JD will either be moved to DH next year or dealt in the off-season, which would move Quentin to RF, Swisher to LF, and open up a competition between Anderson and Owens in CF. This is basically Anderson's make-or-break year and Ozzie needs to see if he's capable of hitting well enough to be an every-day CF for the Sox next season.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (tpezz27 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)

If Anderson hits .240-.250, and plays very good defense, I'd take that over one of the five guys in our lineup batting around .200 with an occasional HR, and average defense.

I'm only suggesting playing Anderson regular on one of two conditions: 1) IF the White Sox DL Paul Konerko, Swisher moves to 1B, and Anderson gets regular time in CF 2) IF the White Sox bench Swisher for about a week, let him work privately and/or clear his head, give Anderson some time.

Perhaps he doesn't hit any better than Swisher or Konerko have, but we have to shake things up for at least a few games because our offense isn't producing.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
Agreed to a certain extent, although Swisher is not a long-term option in CF. And as long as Anderson is hitting better than Swisher, I'd like to see Ozzie continue to give BA the nod a couple of days a week and give Swish some at-bats playing 1B and DH. If BA regresses to 2006 form, play Swish in CF every day.

It's likely that JD will either be moved to DH next year or dealt in the off-season, which would move Quentin to RF, Swisher to LF, and open up a competition between Anderson and Owens in CF. This is basically Anderson's make-or-break year and Ozzie needs to see if he's capable of hitting well enough to be an every-day CF for the Sox next season.

I wouldn't have an issue if they moved Swisher to 1B/DH to rotate with Konerko or Thome for the time being.

I disagree about worrying about next season for Anderson. We're currently a first place team. Play Anderson because either he deserves the opportunity or because the other options are getting it done, not because we need to know if he can play fulltime next season.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
I wouldn't have an issue if they moved Swisher to 1B/DH to rotate with Konerko or Thome for the time being.

If Paulie's thumb becomes an issue again, this just might happen.

I disagree about worrying about next season for Anderson. We're currently a first place team. Play Anderson because either he deserves the opportunity or because the other options are getting it done, not because we need to know if he can play fulltime next season.

Anderson deserves the opportunity because he is much better defensively than Swisher or any of our other outfielders. At the very least, he's earned his spot on the bench as a fourth outfielder and late-game defensive replacement.

Agreed that Anderson shouldn't be thrown out there every single day as the "heir apparent", as this isn't a rebuilding year. But his skill set (great defense with some power), the failure of Kenny to land Hunter or Rowand this past winter, and the lack of other options in the organization deem that he needs a few at-bats this season. Even contending teams need to develop their young players. If that weren't the case, Garland never would've been dealt and Floyd would've been relegated to mop-up duty.

Sure, Brian hasn't exactly been tearing the cover off the ball, but he also hasn't had regular at-bats. Don't you think that it would help him if he could get some regular playing time?

Look at the improvements Alexei has shown while getting some regular playing time. Let's see if it works for Brian as well.

Of course, this all depends on what the real story with Paul's thumb is.

1) Will it have a chance to heal completely if he is DL'd for 2, 3, or even 4 weeks?

2) Is this an injury in which an extended period of healing is necessary (1-2 months)?

3) Is this an injury that will not be completely healed until next season, after several months of the offseason?

If Paul is going to have to play through it all year, they may as well not DL him at all. If it can heal from having 15-30 days off, I say DL him now, let the thing heal entirely, and play Swisher at first while Anderson plays center. If it's going to take 30-60 days to heal entirely, that's where it gets tough. Can you be without him for that long? Would it be better to try and play through it, or will he struggle like he is currently, for the remainder of the season?

These are all things that we are not privy to, but are hopefully affecting their decision.