Blackhawks Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
I thought the Rangers resigned Jagr? Or am I mistaken and they are still in talks for an extension?

According to nhlnumbers.com, they must still be in talks.

He's a cheaper version of Hossa, minus some points. If he can give us 30 goals and 30 assists, we'll have 5 players who could do that next year- him, Toews, Kane, Sharp, and a healthy Havlat.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Why is everyone so against Jagr? His last 3 seasons:

GP G A

82 54 69

82 30 66

82 25 46

He's just an older version of Hossa, and he'll come way cheaper. This would allow us to get another top-notch forward, and the PP QB that we desperately need, and the best one out there in Brian Campbell at about $7.1 a year.

And don't say you don't want the man because he said that he'd rather not participate in shoot-outs. Maybe he's trying to help the team, maybe that's not a strong point for him. I'd rather have Kane, Toews, and Sharp, anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
Agreed.

The Hawks should have two things on their mind.

1) Figure out the future at goaltending

2) Get Marion Hossa in here

Here's their future. Let Lalime walk, and switch around Khabby and Crawford as the starter. If Crawford out plays him, Khabby can be the back-up and tutor him. There really isn't a goalie market in this offseason. Next year, Ryan Miller and Martin Biron are UFA's, so there's a possibility. Biron will be 36 by that time, though.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Why is everyone so against Jagr? His last 3 seasons:

GP G A

82 54 69

82 30 66

82 25 46

He's just an older version of Hossa, and he'll come way cheaper. This would allow us to get another top-notch forward, and the PP QB that we desperately need, and the best one out there in Brian Campbell at about $7.1 a year.

And don't say you don't want the man because he said that he'd rather not participate in shoot-outs. Maybe he's trying to help the team, maybe that's not a strong point for him. I'd rather have Kane, Toews, and Sharp, anyway.

Here's their future. Let Lalime walk, and switch around Khabby and Crawford as the starter. If Crawford out plays him, Khabby can be the back-up and tutor him. There really isn't a goalie market in this offseason. Next year, Ryan Miller and Martin Biron are UFA's, so there's a possibility. Biron will be 36 by that time, though.

Jagr is a big b****.

As far as Crawford goes, there's no way he can be the starter next year. Habby is not the future, but that's irrelevant. You don't play the younger goalie next year - you play the better one. Next year isn't a rebuilding year. You dress the best team possible.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
Jagr is a big b****.

As far as Crawford goes, there's no way he can be the starter next year. Habby is not the future, but that's irrelevant. You don't play the younger goalie next year - you play the better one. Next year isn't a rebuilding year. You dress the best team possible.

You've expressed your dislike/like of Jagr, all of you have. Now just explain why.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
You've expressed your dislike/like of Jagr, all of you have. Now just explain why.

He's a team cancer, a whiner, a diver, old, the opposite of a leader, and will be highly overpaid by someone.

It's money spent much better elsewhere.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
He's a team cancer, a whiner, a diver, old, the opposite of a leader, and will be highly overpaid by someone.

It's money spent much better elsewhere.

Wouldn't you whine if you played in an awful Washington system for practically your whole career? Highly overpaid- I doubt it. He'll get $4 a year at the most, I just hope, we get Hossa, we offer him about $3.1 a year for 2 years. He's like Hossa, stats wise. Hossa hasn't exactly been Mr. Great Locker Guy, either, as he complained his way out of Atlanta.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Jagr was crying in Pittsburgh while playing with Mario.

And Hossa cried playing with Kovalchuk. All he wants to do is win. I guarantee if he playing with Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose, etc., he'd keep his mouth closed. We're going to win next year, maybe even 52 games. He'll keep his mouth shut, and if he doesn't, we'll take a pay cut but not one that'll affect us forever or anything, like if we did it to Hossa.

I think Pittsburgh is a bad example, as there was a reason they had all those high draft picks the last few years.

About Sharp on the shootout; wasn't he like 1-7 at one point last year? Kane is all but automatic, Toews is a stud, but I'd rather have someone else (and please no Havlat).

I thought it was all but a formality that Lalime was going to be gone next season.

I'd like Redden, Liles and an offensive threat (preferabily a power forward but that won't happen so hopefully Buf toughens up).

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
I think Pittsburgh is a bad example, as there was a reason they had all those high draft picks the last few years.

About Sharp on the shootout; wasn't he like 1-7 at one point last year? Kane is all but automatic, Toews is a stud, but I'd rather have someone else (and please no Havlat).

I thought it was all but a formality that Lalime was going to be gone next season.

I'd like Redden, Liles and an offensive threat (preferabily a power forward but that won't happen so hopefully Buf toughens up).

I'd rather go with #1 PP QB available (Campbell) and another top notch forward (Jagr) since we can't pay both Campbell and Hossa huge money, or go with the #1 forward available (Hossa) and the #2 PP QB available (Liles).

Jagr: Larry Brooks reported over the weekend that talks may be beginning soon between Jagr and the Rangers on a one year deal. Tough to say how this will develop, but if Jagr is remaining in North America a few other teams including LA, Edmonton and Vancouver are rumoured to have interest as well.

thats from like May 19, but needless to say the Hawks wont go after him. We dont need him, spend it elsewhere.

Habby would also be the worst "mentor" for Crawford since he doesnt want to be in that position. Habby still has stuff(see March 19 Washington game, wow was that the best game to be at) let him play next season and do something with him upon results.

I would love to get Campbell, but Liles is a nice add if it means big bang on O

Andrej Meszaros could be on the move this summer.

Not only has the name of the Senators defenceman surfaced in possible trade talks with the Flyers, but his agent, Ritch Winter, confirmed to Sun Media yesterday that the 21-year-old Meszaros turned down a lucrative offer to play in Russia next season.

HELD TALKS

The talk is Meszaros, who made $984,000 (all terms US) this season and can become a restricted free agent on July 1, could have made in excess of $3.5 million next season to play in Russia, but he has no interest in leaving the NHL.

Winter said he had "constructive" discussions with Senators GM Bryan Murray about a new contract yesterday and both sides remain optimistic about getting a deal in place.

"There was an offer from a team in Russia, but (Meszaros') first priority is to remain with the Senators," said Winter. "He's had success with the Senators and he wants to be part of that team.

"We know there are going to be challenges to get a deal done, but we're working on it."

Whether Meszaros will be back with the Senators next season remains a question mark. Sources say Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has approached Murray about dealing for Meszaros.

Meszaros is a special player, it be nice to get him, but looks like Flyers could.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
Meszaros is a special player, it be nice to get him, but looks like Flyers could.

It would be. Not being able to get too much Sens hockey, does anyone know if he's an enforcer? I feel that's our 4th, maybe even our 3rd, biggest need this offseason. Georges Laraque would be a nice addition at a max of 1.3 a year.

I've just learned our cap space for this offseason is $8 million, which probably gives us either Campbell, Hossa, or the 2nd best PP QB and the a good forward.

So, I'll be satisfied with Ryan Malone who'd be about 3 a year, and Liles who'd be about 4 a year.

Next year, since Lang, Khabby, and Havlat will all be gone, we'll have about $16 in cap space, which could get us the best goalie out there (Ryan Miller from the Sabres is probably the best out there), and the best forward (not sure who that is).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Except it doesn't work that way at all, as Toews-Kane-Keith will all be up new contracts in two years. You can't just press yourself up against the cap every year. Thats not how it works. Big money will be set aside for the 3 of them.

But Khabby's contact will be up by then, so you get that extra money freed up.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
But Khabby's contact will be up by then, so you get that extra money freed up.

The point Tony is making is that after this season the 12 money or so that Havlat and Bulin make will be free yes, but you'll have to earmark that for JT and Patrick. The Hawks are going to have to give each of those guys at least 6-8 million per year. So that money in which you just freed up is already gone.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Except it doesn't work that way at all, as Toews-Kane-Keith will all be up new contracts in two years. You can't just press yourself up against the cap every year. Thats not how it works. Big money will be set aside for the 3 of them.

Didn't we just extend Keith this season to a fairly affordable contract?

Edit: Just checked and looks like Keith is signed through 09/10 and then becomes a RFA in 10/11. Same with Kane/Toews.

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
The point Tony is making is that after this season the 12 money or so that Havlat and Bulin make will be free yes, but you'll have to earmark that for JT and Patrick. The Hawks are going to have to give each of those guys at least 6-8 million per year. So that money in which you just freed up is already gone.

Actually, Lang's will be up after next season so that'll be about another $3.5 million freed up.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)

Not that much. I'd give them both 8 years, $40 million. That's only $10 million between 2 guys, and then I'd give Keith $4 million a year, probably 4 years, $17 million.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Actually, Lang's will be up after next season so that'll be about another $3.5 million freed up.

Not that much. I'd give them both 8 years, $40 million. That's only $10 million between 2 guys, and then I'd give Keith $4 million a year, probably 4 years, $17 million.

Good luck with that