The POSitive Walker Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:52 AM)
I am not a fan of greg, however you can't blame him for being upset. Dangling anyones job in the press will piss off anyone. In my view, if you have come to the conclusion to do something, then you do it. You don't use the press the threaten. Nothing is accomplished with that.

I don't think Ozzie meant anything by it...and I'm sure it's water under the bridge now.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 06:59 AM)
I don't think Ozzie meant anything by it...and I'm sure it's water under the bridge now.

Does Ozzie ever mean anything he says?

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:59 AM)

Cowley(yes not the best source), had a theory today that Ozzie put Walker on notice publically to motivate the players. He has tried yelling, talking to the players, and nothing is working. But now putting a guys job on notice, a guy that they like, it may motivate them to have more focus and results.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
Cowley(yes not the best source), had a theory today that Ozzie put Walker on notice publically to motivate the players. He has tried yelling, talking to the players, and nothing is working. But now putting a guys job on notice, a guy that they like, it may motivate them to have more focus and results.

Makes perfect sense to me. Guillen is a master button pusher. He'd dangle his mother in front of the media if it meant getting this team to hit.

Yeah, Quentin was so highly-regarded by the D-backs that they dealt him for a lesser prospect. He'll be 26 in August and his two years in Arizona were plagued with injuries and a general failure to live up to expectations. Ozzie didn't even expect him to make the roster back in ST. So, yeah, I'd say that Quentin's career wasn't going very well this past winter and that he was under some pressure to produce at the ML level.

Quentin was dealt because the D-Backs OF was too crowded, not because they had given up on him.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:52 AM)
I am not a fan of greg, however you can't blame him for being upset. Dangling anyones job in the press will piss off anyone. In my view, if you have come to the conclusion to do something, then you do it. You don't use the press the threaten. Nothing is accomplished with that.

Ageed, but Ozzie also dangled his own job in the same sentence, and has done so on several other occasions. Because of that, I don't think that Ozzie was trying to throw him under the bus per se. But it's understandable that Walker was pissed, as Ozzie's comments were, as usual, not very professional.

On top of that, I get the feeling that Walker is sick of dealing with the heat from the media and fans as well. It's probably best that he parts ways with the organization sooner this winter, if not sooner.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
The Diamondbacks GM publically gave Williams credit, he said KW was badgering him about Quentin for a long time.

I remember a quote from KW when talking about the offseason being successful, and something he said was that they went out to acquire Carlos Quentin. Not just any outfielder, but specifically Carlos Quentin. I also believe that Quentin was a name they tried to get in any possible Dye trade.