All Things Probama

NorthSideSox72

Obama has a vision for the Lincoln Bedroom

He's not president yet, but Barack Obama has already given some thought to White House decor.

Asked at a town hall-style meeting in Fargo, N.D., about any decorating plans for the Lincoln Bedroom, Obama described a visit to the White House after he became a U.S. senator.

"You have all these mementos of Abraham Lincoln, but you have this flat-screen TV in there," Obama told the crowd at the outdoor event.

"I thought to myself, 'Now, who stays in the Lincoln Bedroom and watches [ESPN's] 'Sports Center'? You've got your clicker. . . . That didn't seem to me to be appropriate. So I might take out the TV, I don't know.

"You should read when you're in the Lincoln Bedroom! Reread the Gettysburg Address. Don't watch TV."

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCain concedes.......... that Obama is patriotic.

"We don't want to tal
k
about hi
s
patrioti
s
m and character,"
s
aid McCain advi
s
er Charlie Blac
k
. "
We concede that he'
s
a patriot and per
s
on of good character
. Thi
s
i
s
about big i
s
s
ue
s
."

It kind of says it all that to this senior McCain campaign hand, acknowledging that Obama is patriotic is a concession.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
Obama moves the last day of the Democratic Convention to Mile High Stadium. 75,000 people will be there to watch his acceptance speech.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11558.html

Last time a candidate did this was when JFK did the same in 1960 at the LA Memorial Colosseum.

That's a huge psychological thing. THe visuals there are huge. Compare that to where McCain holds these small townhalls with 50-100 people.

He's just messing with the GOps head now.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
That's a huge psychological thing. THe visuals there are huge. Compare that to where McCain holds these small townhalls with 50-100 people.

He's just messing with the GOps head now.

RAH RAH RAH! IMPRESSIVE! WOOT! He's just messing with people's heads. Psychological stuff. WOOOHOOOO!

Your post pretty much tells me what I need to know about Obama's substance, IMO.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
RAH RAH RAH! IMPRESSIVE! WOOT! He's just messing with people's heads. Psychological stuff. WOOOHOOOO!

Your post pretty much tells me what I need to know about Obama's substance, IMO.

what? he cant play psychological games with the GOP? He pretty much psyced Clinton out in the primaries. She had no idea what hit her until it was too late.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)

I think it says that Obama can fill a stadium. Which is kinda neat.

Doesn't really say much else.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
what? he cant play psychological games with the GOP? He pretty much psyced Clinton out in the primaries. She had no idea what hit her until it was too late.

Yea, because someone running for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES should be someone who "play(s) psychological games" to get elected (your words, not mine). Thank you for making my point so nicely for me.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
Yea, because someone running for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES should be someone who "play(s) psychological games" to get elected (your words, not mine). Thank you for making my point so nicely for me.

Kap: politics is a psychological game.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)

alright kap, we get it. After every athomeboy post you are going to make fun of him and say how it proves that Obama is a bad candidate.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
alright kap, we get it. After every athomeboy post you are going to make fun of him and say how it proves that Obama is a bad candidate.

Heh. Although this is supposedly a "Pro-Obama" thread you can find about 50 posts by Kap that trash Obama in about the same way.

I don't care if there is criticism of obama, obviously I came in here for discussion, but the responses to athomeboy posts are getting old and petty and not interesting at all.

Kap, you don't like Obama because he's a democrat, alright. We know.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
Obama moves the last day of the Democratic Convention to Mile High Stadium. 75,000 people will be there to watch his acceptance speech.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11558.html

Last time a candidate did this was when JFK did the same in 1960 at the LA Memorial Colosseum.

I honestly think you would need to pay 75K people to go watch McCain speak.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Heh. Although this is supposedly a "Pro-Obama" thread you can find about 50 posts by Kap that trash Obama in about the same way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
I don't care if there is criticism of obama, obviously I came in here for discussion, but the responses to athomeboy posts are getting old and petty and not interesting at all.

Kap, you don't like Obama because he's a democrat, alright. We know.

Wrong. I don't like Obama because he's brainwashed half of America with his "charm" and "good looks" and his "great speaking abilities". If he were a Democrat, Republican, dips***, whatever, and he would do what I believe to be right, I'd vote for him.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Wrong. I don't like Obama because he's brainwashed half of America with his "charm" and "good looks" and his "great speaking abilities". If he were a Democrat, Republican, dips***, whatever, and he would do what I believe to be right, I'd vote for him.

So all of us supporting Obama in the fall are brainwashed. Got it.

This line of thinking - that Obama has so much less substance than anyone else, that he's all flash - has been peddled throughout the campaign season. And its a joke.

During the primaries, people were saying that Obama was nothing but speeches, and never made any tough stances or policy statements. This was patently false. He had all sorts of policy out there, on his website, as well as in POLICY speeches. This is exactly the same as the other candidates. But because Obama is ALSO a much better speaker and more charismatic than other candidates, he was ripped for that, to make him seem hollow. Except its just not the case.

Now the GOP is using the same tactic. Similarly, the Dems are trying to portray McCain as being nothing but Bush Part Deux. There are two key points in looking at this... One, neither of those charges is true. Yes, Obama has far less political experience than McCain. Yes, its true that McCain is with Bush on the war and some other key issues. But in reality, both those charges are blatant overstatement and oversimplification of the facts.

You want to say that Obama doesn't have the resume for the job? Fine, that's a really good argument. You want to say that McCain's pledges to continue (basically) the Bush policies on the war and the economy? Also a good argument. But to say Obama is nothing but a speech-maker, or that McCain is just another Bush, is absurd and outside of reality.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
I honestly think you would need to pay 75K people to go watch McCain speak.

even then about half would fall asleep either from boredom or old age.

PS: NOT taking a shot at mcCain's age. He tends to have a significantly older demographic.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
So all of us supporting Obama in the fall are brainwashed. Got it.

This line of thinking - that Obama has so much less substance than anyone else, that he's all flash - has been peddled throughout the campaign season. And its a joke.

During the primaries, people were saying that Obama was nothing but speeches, and never made any tough stances or policy statements. This was patently false. He had all sorts of policy out there, on his website, as well as in POLICY speeches. This is exactly the same as the other candidates. But because Obama is ALSO a much better speaker and more charismatic than other candidates, he was ripped for that, to make him seem hollow. Except its just not the case.

Now the GOP is using the same tactic. Similarly, the Dems are trying to portray McCain as being nothing but Bush Part Deux. There are two key points in looking at this... One, neither of those charges is true. Yes, Obama has far less political experience than McCain. Yes, its true that McCain is with Bush on the war and some other key issues. But in reality, both those charges are blatant overstatement and oversimplification of the facts.

You want to say that Obama doesn't have the resume for the job? Fine, that's a really good argument. You want to say that McCain's pledges to continue (basically) the Bush policies on the war and the economy? Also a good argument. But to say Obama is nothing but a speech-maker, or that McCain is just another Bush, is absurd and outside of reality.

Point one, I didn't say that. Some people will vote Democrat no matter what. Some people will vote for Obama because he seems like a "nice young man"... and then there's those who think the guy is going to change things - I just don't see it - he's more of the same washed up rhetoric this country's seen for years yet no one wants to see that - he's just packaged better then anyone else has been for a long, long time. Those are the people who are brainwashed, IMO, and not "everyone".

Obama's surrogates are out there being the attack dogs of old. Obama? Let's take the high road! Riiiiiiiight.

I'm not talking about McCain at all. I can't stand the man. I just can't stand Obama worse now because of all the hypocritical spew that's out there. If people stop and a) really listen and B) understand what it is that Obama thinks he is going to do, they should run like hell. For those who hated Hillary so bad, they have the same damn polocies when it comes right down to it. Same for Edwards. Yet, Obama is supposed to be some guy that's "different" and "will bring change", etc.? No way. He's going to polarize folks like no other has in a long, long time, and some of it is not his doing, unfortunately.

So your argument is that because other people will make Barack Obama a polarizing figure that he isn't worthy of your support, despite the fact that it is, by your own admission, not his intent to be polarizing or divisive?

Obama does represent some form of real change, but wholesale change doesn't happen overnight. So in a year or two, the Obamatons that feel that Barack can do no wrong will feel wholesale disappointment. But the truth is, in my opinion, Obama will bring some sort of change to Washington - not as far or as fast as many people would like to see, but there will be some real change in the way Washington runs with Obama in the oval office. Not because he is anything special, but because he represents people who want some form of change. I'm sorry Kap, that you can't see that. I'm jaded too, maybe not as jaded as you, but Obama's candidacy represents something special that we haven't seen in decades. People power.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
So your argument is that because other people will make Barack Obama a polarizing figure that he isn't worthy of your support, despite the fact that it is, by your own admission, not his intent to be polarizing or divisive?

Obama does represent some form of real change, but wholesale change doesn't happen overnight. So in a year or two, the Obamatons that feel that Barack can do no wrong will feel wholesale disappointment. But the truth is, in my opinion, Obama will bring some sort of change to Washington - not as far or as fast as many people would like to see, but there will be some real change in the way Washington runs with Obama in the oval office. Not because he is anything special, but because he represents people who want some form of change. I'm sorry Kap, that you can't see that. I'm jaded too, maybe not as jaded as you, but Obama's candidacy represents something special that we haven't seen in decades. People power.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make - he's going to be polarizing because some people can't get over the fact of his name or his race, and that is beyond his control and I mean it when I say that part is unfortunate. As far as "change" - he's not different then any of the others, and that is my point. He packages it all up differently, but at the end of the day, he's a politician, with the same bankrolls and fat cats that everyone else has. He flipflops depending on who's giving him the money and showing him THE WAY, and to that point, he's no different then any other candidate. He doesn't give a rat's ass about "people", only power, and in that, he's just like all the rest... and I'm sorry that a lot of people can't see that.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
That wasn't the point I was trying to make - he's going to be polarizing because some people can't get over the fact of his name or his race, and that is beyond his control and I mean it when I say that part is unfortunate. As far as "change" - he's not different then any of the others, and that is my point. He packages it all up differently, but at the end of the day, he's a politician, with the same bankrolls and fat cats that everyone else has. He flipflops depending on who's giving him the money and showing him THE WAY, and to that point, he's no different then any other candidate. He doesn't give a rat's ass about "people", only power, and in that, he's just like all the rest... and I'm sorry that a lot of people can't see that.

So I take it you will never vote again since all politicians are the same and power hungry?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
So I take it you will never vote again since all politicians are the same and power hungry?

This election is particularly difficult for me. McCain is an assmunch and Obama is 100% not what he shows himself to be.

I agree Rex, there are a few things that excite me about Obama and why I do think he is a change candidate:

1. The amount of money he's made off of small money donations

- I don't believe public financing for campaigns will ever work. But, what gives me hope with the internet is now with it so easy to give money to your candidate, these 100 dollar donations creating a substantial amount of revenue to the candidates campaign fund, the large $4500 donations are less important and the money is spread out over enough people that the lobbyists have less weight. (But I'm not one of those people that feels all lobbyists are bad)

2. His grassroots organization

- He's gotten a very apathetic generation to be very excited in the political process. Whereas in 04 they were just on listserves, Obama has utilized web 2.0 with myBO to create an interactive site where supporters can set up meetings with other supporters and help with volunteering

3. He's not afraid to ask the country to do things

- Not everything can be done by the government, clearly. He seems willing to just ask the American people to have dialogue and sacrifice. Will it everyone participate? No, but it brings awareness and any individual who would participate in things such as taking a cloth bag to the grocery store instead of plastic is one more person whose helping.

Not everyone pays attention to the politics game, and really this surrogate fighting in such prominence is a created distraction by the ADD 24-hour media. As a candidate, both have been courteous and have avoided the public fighting from close officials we've seen in the past.

So I do think there is change coming. A new 21st century election campaign is being run, so yes, that is exciting for a young person. It does seem like this election will see a heavier involved democracy and I do think that should be heavily attributed to Obama and his campaign.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
This election is particularly difficult for me. McCain is an assmunch and Obama is 100% not what he shows himself to be.

I understand the frustration with politics as they are right now, and with each of these candidates. But I don't get how this election is so hard for you. To me, and most people I've spoken with about it, this choice is a lot better than the ones we got the last few elections.