All Things Probama

NorthSideSox72

"I believe that people are interested very much in substance," McCain said, contrasting himself against Barack Obama's charismatic style. "If it was simply style, William Jennings Bryan would have been president."

The great orator was the losing Democratic nominee in 1896, 1900 and 1908.

Somebody should have asked McCain who he voted for in each of those elections. ;)

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
Somebody should have asked McCain who he voted for in each of those elections. ;)

:lolhitting

Dustin Hofman had a REALLY of color remark on Leno last night. It was a rip at McCain's age, but i dont feel comfortable repeating it.

well, I mean william jennings bryan lost because he basically made his platform on changing the gold standard to silver, which was completely dumb and wouldn't work, and McKinley was good at informing the public on that. The cross of gold speech is pretty wonderful though, dumb, but wonderful.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
well, I mean william jennings bryan lost because he basically made his platform on changing the gold standard to silver, which was completely dumb and wouldn't work.

Wasn't that one of FDR's 100 days acts?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
:lolhitting

Dustin Hofman had a REALLY of color remark on Leno last night. It was a rip at McCain's age, but i dont feel comfortable repeating it.

Leno had a good barb at Hillary in his monolog as well, saying that she and Bill were going to an Ikea Store because it would be the only chance she'd have of getting to put together her own cabinet. :lolhitting :lolhitting

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
Leno had a god barb at Hillary in his monolog as well, saying that she and Bill were going to an Ikea Store because it would be the only chanch she'd have of getting to put together her own cabinet. :lolhitting :lolhitting

LMAO!!! I did t catch the monologue. That's AWESOME!!

Speaking of gold/silver:

One of the great political jokes of all-time was told by Alben Barkley about a politician who wanted to please everyone during the Gold/Silver debates. He would go through crowds talking in platitudes until someone finally said, "WHAT do you STAND FOR?" and the politician said:

"I stand for a little gold, a little silver, a little greenback, and a sprinkling of counterfeit!"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
Thank god. I can still consider voting for Obama.

Edwards brings absolutely nothing to the ticket anyway.

I don't like Edwards much either, but, he definitely would have brought some political power to the ticket. He takes in a crowd that Obama has a hard time with.

I still think its Richardson.

Obama Campaign Masters Digital Media While McCain Efforts are "Old and Clunky" - TheShellyPalmerReport

Back in 1960 the skills required to become President of the United States changed forever. That was the year that John F. Kennedy debated Richard M. Nixon on national network television for the first time. When reminiscing about Kennedy's win, pundits love to cite that he was tanned, good looking, had great hair and had his make-up professionally applied, while Mr. Nixon appeared pale, had a nervous demeanor and sweaty brow. They say that Nixon won on the radio but Kennedy won on TV. 1960 ushered in the era of the Network politician. For better or for worse, after the 1960 debate, not only did every politician have to have video skills, they had to have expert ones.

Today, aside from video, Senators Obama and McCain are going to face off across several digital consumer touchpoints including: the web, short form video, the blogosphere, time-shifted television, social networks, SMS, ringtones, mobile applications, even wikis. 2008 will usher in the era of the Networked politician. For better or for worse, not only will every politician need to have advanced media skills, they are going to need expert ones.

I know it's early days for the national race, but - just for fun - let's have a look at how the candidates are handling the transition from Network to Networked campaigning.

JohnMcCain.com is a very conservative website (pardon the pun). It feels old and clunky. To find some online video you must click "News & Media," then click "Multimedia" and when you finally get to the page, you find the blip.tv player a page full of single line descriptions and links to videos and branded links to YouTube and Veoh. There is no "multimedia," on the page - just short form video. The presentation is fairly disjointed. Actually, it looks like video is simply bolted on to the site and there is no context of any kind. There are no best practices about the implementation or the messaging. Anyone who is "in the culture" would view this part of the site as a hodgepodge of disparate content and know it was not for them. On the other hand, anyone not "in the culture" would immediately be put off by the complexity. One wonders who this part of the website is for?

At BarackObama.com you are greeted by a best practices, embedded video of Senator Obama welcoming you to his site. The link to his media area clearly defines Barack TV, which opens a well stocked Brightcove video player; a flickr-based photo page; a download page complete with everything a web-savvy digital native might want to download (including buddy icons) and a mobile page with Barack ringtones and SMS alerts subscription opportunities.

If this is the first Networked campaign, Senator McCain is looking like a digital tourist and Senator Obama is looking like a man who knows and respects the conventions of digital life in the 21st Century.

Full article here

There's a blog based suggestion making the rounds today that the rumored "Scary video of Michelle Obama" supposedly going off on the evils of Whitey, which has gotten enough play that the Senator was asked about it a couple days ago despite a complete lack of evidence that it exists, bears a striking resemblance to the topic of a 2006 book.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
I don't like Edwards much either, but, he definitely would have brought some political power to the ticket. He takes in a crowd that Obama has a hard time with.

I still think its Richardson.

I don't. I think it will be a liberal northeastern senator...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
I don't. I think it will be a liberal northeastern senator...

That would be foolish in my opinion. Lose 2 Senate seats? Nah. It should be a former or current Governor or someone else not currently in office (i.e., Wesley Clark, Edwards, Daschle). And it should be someone that will help him with a key swing state. A northeastern Senator would do little in that capacity.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
That would be foolish in my opinion. Lose 2 Senate seats? Nah. It should be a former or current Governor or someone else not currently in office (i.e., Wesley Clark, Edwards, Daschle). And it should be someone that will help him with a key swing state. A northeastern Senator would do little in that capacity.

Out of people who probably want the gig, though, I think Biden is the best person for the job. You're right about it not delivering a state, but I'm really thinking about VP performance after the election and not performance as a running mate.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Out of people who probably want the gig, though, I think Biden is the best person for the job. You're right about it not delivering a state, but I'm really thinking about VP performance after the election and not performance as a running mate.

Not delivering a state and losing 2 Senate seats. Personally I'm a big fan of Biden. He would make an interesting Sec of State.