White Sox sign Esteban Loaiza/Option Wassermann

Steff

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
The only positive I see with Loaiza possibly being in the bullpen is that he's done well against righty hitters the past two seasons. He's not a roogy, but if used right, it's possible he won't be a huge liability.

He returns to work with Cooper who apaprently is a god like pitching coach. Esteban can do the job he just needs a good coach and to be healthy

So, seems like four possibilities here, as far as I can tell...

1. Send Wassermann down, Loaiza goes to the pen

2. Release Masset (no options), replace with Loaiza

3. This is a pre-cursor to a trade of some kind

4. Send Loaiza to Charlotte, and boot Tomo Ohka. He becomes the backup to the starting 5.

I personally think that 4 makes the most sense. 3 might be good, depending omn the trade. 2 seems silly, as I don't think Masset is bad enough to warrant replacing him with Loaiza. And 1 would be odd role-wise, but might make sense.

I am really hoping for 3 or 4.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)

4. Send Loaiza to Charlotte, and boot Tomo Ohka. He becomes the backup to the starting 5.

I personally think that 4 makes the most sense. 3 might be good, depending omn the trade. 2 seems silly, as I don't think Masset is bad enough to warrant replacing him with Loaiza. And 1 would be odd role-wise, but might make sense.

Yeah, this can't be to release Masset. I know his WHIP is a bit high, but you don't release ANY pitchers with a 3.38 ERA in the current baseball climate.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Yeah, this can't be to release Masset. I know his WHIP is a bit high, but you don't release ANY pitchers with a 3.38 ERA in the current baseball climate.

Agreed. Loaiza's just a backup plan, and I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere but Charlotte. Our pitching is good, but a little depth won't hurt. And I doubt anybody was clamoring for Loaiza to start for them. He gets back to the organization where he had success, tries to turn around his career. Win-win, low-impact, no-risk move.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
I don't remember that. This was all I could find:

http://media.www.dailyvidette.com/media/st...ox-635686.shtml

Is that what you mean? Eh...by Guillen's standards, it's almost encouragement. :D

The Daily Vidette? Hell yeah! I think i put that story in the paper! :headbang Weird move though. Guess it can't hurt. Will see where this goes.

Edited by soxfan3530

I just find it hard to believe that no other team would give him a starting spot in their rotation. Especially a bad tem. Unless he knows he is finished wouldn't he Pirates, Reds, etc. be able ot offer him a spot to build up his value for this offseason.

Maybe the Sox just guaranteed him a rotation spot in AAA where he is free to leave whenever he wanted.

Why is everyone so eager to trade one of our pitchers? Outside of Wassermann, everyone is intergral to the pitching success they've had so far.

Right, no way should any of the pitchers be traded. The team is built on pitching and that's why it's in first place at the moment.

I remember reading here how Contreras should be dumped for nothing ... that's not the way to do things if you're trying to win. You collect pitching because inevitably there will be some attrition or guys will need a breather.

If over the course of the next few months, Loaiza can give them a few decent spot starts and some bullpen innings, it will be well worth it and then some. A pro rata portion of the MLB minimum is peanuts.

What remains to be seen ... whether Loaiza will spend any time in Charlotte to get back into a groove or whether he goes right onto the 25 man. I haven't listened to the radio today so I don't know.

The obvious guy to be demoted is Wasserman but it's also worth noting that Uribe and Ozuna have had very little playing time. I would be against going with 13 arms, that's too many in my book, but stranger things have happened in baseball.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
I just find it hard to believe that no other team would give him a starting spot in their rotation. Especially a bad tem. Unless he knows he is finished wouldn't he Pirates, Reds, etc. be able ot offer him a spot to build up his value for this offseason.

Maybe the Sox just guaranteed him a rotation spot in AAA where he is free to leave whenever he wanted.

Definitely not the Reds. They have Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Harang, and Arroyo, every one a better bet than Loaiza. The Pirates are also loaded with young pitchers, even if some of them aren't so hot. The Nats starters have been surprisingly good. The Brewers could use a pitcher, but even Bush has been as good as Loaiza this year.

Loaiza's just too old -- teams that are rebuilding are going to take their chances with the longest-shot youngster before going to Loaiza. Teams that are competing mostly have a passable 1-5.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)

I agree. No way I want Masset released.

Regardless of Loaiza's situation, I think that Wassermann needs to be moved back down. I'd rather see a position player on the roster than Wassermann.

I guess this could be similar to the Bartolo Colon situation maybe.

If he spends a month down in AAA, and then has to be called up otherwise he can request his release.

I wouldn't be majorly opposed to that.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Definitely not the Reds. They have Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Harang, and Arroyo, every one a better bet than Loaiza. The Pirates are also loaded with young pitchers, even if some of them aren't so hot. The Nats starters have been surprisingly good. The Brewers could use a pitcher, but even Bush has been as good as Loaiza this year.

Loaiza's just too old -- teams that are rebuilding are going to take their chances with the longest-shot youngster before going to Loaiza. Teams that are competing mostly have a passable 1-5.

Loaiza for the remainder of the year for a team not going anywhere is better than getting the FA clocking run when you are out of it already. He also could eat innings and possibly net you an extra pick in the draft if he pans out.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
Loaiza for the remainder of the year for a team not going anywhere is better than getting the FA clocking run when you are out of it already. He also could eat innings and possibly net you an extra pick in the draft if he pans out.

For a Jay Bruce, sure, you want to push the clock back. For a Phil Dumatrait, the clock's already started, and even if it wasn't, it's more important to see what you have than to worry about his super 2 status.