White Sox sign Esteban Loaiza/Option Wassermann

Steff

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
His fastball was in the mid 80s when I saw it, and he had very little in terms of offspeed pitches.

So he's Buehrle with a better fastball now? ^_^

Anyways, after further research, I've discovered that Loaiza has been brought in to teach Quentin Spanish, according to this lengthy article...

Arizona catcher Johnny Estrada takes what some might call a perverse pride in not speaking Spanish. He is an American from Hayward, after all, whose great-grandparents emigrated from Mexico, though he's not exactly sure from what part of the country.

What he doesn't appreciate, he said, is being scorned for not understanding Spanish by foreign-born Latinos in the game.

"I've dealt with it my whole career ... like I have to defend myself because I don't speak Spanish," Estrada said. "They're always asking me, 'How come you don't speak Spanish. Aren't you Mexican?' "

So he said he has dealt with the frustration the best way he knows -- with humor.

Estrada and Baltimore Orioles pitcher Russ Ortiz named their fantasy football team "No Habla Inc."

"We're fake Mexicans," Estrada said with a grin before disclosing their American-born Latino, non-Spanish speaking ranks, which include Arizona hitting coach Mike Aldrete, outfielder Carlos Quentin, Baltimore outfielder Chris Gomez and the A's Chavez.

"I feel like I'm around my 'peeps,' " Estrada added.

Growing up, Estrada said his grandmother would speak to him only in Spanish.

"And she'd flick us in the ear because she thought it was bad we didn't speak it," he said.

Cincinnati Reds closer Eddie Guardado said he had similar experiences growing up in a Mexican-American family of nine children. Guardado is the lone member of his family who does not speak Spanish fluently, though he said he understands and imbibes in the Fake Mexicans' official language of "Spanglish."

"At my grandpa's house (in Stockton), they had (Spanish) on Channel 19, the novelas, and I'm sitting in front of the TV like, What the hell are they saying?" Guardado said.

Guardado had his Chavez-in-the-carniceria moment in his second spring training when he was asked by a trainer to translate for a Venezuelan player undergoing treatment.

"I couldn't do it," Guardado said.

The way he and the rest of the Fake Mexicans see it, Spanish skipped a generation because of their parents' efforts at assimilating.

"(My dad) worked in the fields when he came over here, but he wanted better," Guardado said. "That's why he learned English. Speaking Spanish, that was only allowed when they were working the fields. (The general public) didn't have anything to do with you if you didn't know English."

Thus, English was spoken in the Guardado home.

Texas Rangers shortstop Michael Young said he has received many double takes from people when they find out he has Mexican blood flowing through his veins, along with Irish roots.

"The first thing I get every time I take my hat off is, 'Wow, I didn't realize your hair was that dark? What the hell?' I get that a lot," said Young, whose mother's maiden name is Pedroza and whose family came from Mexico City to El Paso, Texas, then to Southern California.

Young, who said he understands Spanish better than he speaks it, grew up in Covina with his mother's side of the family.

"A lot of guys our age, when their parents came out as Mexicans, (the establishment) tried to make an effort to Americanize them as quickly as possible, make sure they understand English and make sure they understand the American culture," Young said. "But when we get a little bit older, we want to make sure we really understand our Mexican culture."

But not speaking Spanish does add challenges to understanding the culture -- or at least leads to a good deal of teasing. Chavez has been ribbed by Mexican pitcher and A's teammate Esteban Loaiza. And many other unknowing foreign-born players have attempted to converse with Chavez in Spanish, only to be rebuffed, much as the Spanish-language media were by Washington Nationals closer Chad Cordero at the 2005 All-Star Game.

From the foreigners' view, Loaiza said there is a gauche moment when coming across a non-Spanish-speaking American cousin, despite sharing sangre, blood, with him.

"See, he's over there, on the other side of the border," Loaiza said of Chavez with a laugh, pointing out how the A's clubhouse was divided -- the foreign-born Latinos on one side and Chavez and everyone else on the other.

"He says he understands but el no sabe nada," Loaiza added. "He doesn't know nothing."

So why doesn't Loaiza teach Chavez Spanish, if it's that important?

"He will listen, but then he'll forget all about the culture, and that's why we give him (grief)," Loaiza said. "At least try. Look at Ichiro (Suzuki); he's from Japan, and he speaks three languages."

Plus, Loaiza seemed to take offense to American-born Latinos with Mexican blood calling themselves "Mexican," real or fake.

"No, they're not Mexicans," Loaiza huffed. "They're from here."

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
My old man just called and said Levine was just on ESPN 1000. He said part of the reason for all this was to protect Mark. Levine claims Buehrle has had a shoulder problem since ST, and he can't start on 5 days anymore, but needs a week. Now I don't know how much of this is factual(if Levine is correct, I know he said it), but I suppose we will find out pretty soon.

So Loaiza's going to be starting now? Hopefully Levine was stating hypotheticals, becase Loaiza would be a huge step backwards for the rotation.

Got this in email from the Sox (also news on Wise):

CHICAGO - Prior to tonight's game vs. Kansas City, the Chicago White Sox signed free-agent right-handed pitcher Esteban Loaiza to a one-year contract through the 2008 season and optioned right-handed pitcher Ehren Wassermann to Class AAA Charlotte.

The White Sox also announced that outfielder DeWayne Wise has accepted an outright assignment to Charlotte.

Loaiza, 36, was 1-2 with a 5.63 ERA (15 ER/24.0 IP) in seven games (three starts) with the Dodgers this season. He will wear uniform No. 48 with the White Sox and is expected to work out of the bullpen. The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Loaiza has gone 126-114 with a 4.65 ERA (1,083 ER/2,096.0 IP) and 1,381 strikeouts in 374 games (333 starts) over 13 major-league seasons with Pittsburgh (1995-98), Texas (1998-2000), Toronto (2000-02), the White Sox (2003-04), Yankees (2004), Washington (2005), Oakland (2006-07) and Dodgers (2007-08). His 126 victories rank second all-time among Mexican-born pitchers, trailing only Fernando Valenzuela (173).

Loaiza made 55 starts with the White Sox from 2003-04, going 30-14 with a 3.65 ERA (149 ER/367.0 IP) and 290 strikeouts before being traded to the Yankees on July 31, 2004 in exchange for pitcher Jose Contreras. He was named to the American League All-Star Team in both of his seasons with the Sox. Loaiza's best season came with the Sox in 2003 when he finished second in the AL Cy Young Award voting after going 21-9 with a 2.90 ERA (73 ER/226.1 IP) and 207 strikeouts in 34 starts. He led the AL in strikeouts that season, tied for second in wins and ranked third in ERA. He was the starting pitcher for the AL at the 74th All-Star Game at U.S. Cellular Field, throwing 2.0 scoreless IP

Wassermann, 27, was 0-1 with a 14.85 ERA (11 ER/6.2 IP) in 11 relief appearances with the White Sox this season after being recalled from Charlotte on April 27.

Wise, 30, was designated for assignment on May 31. He appeared in six games with the Sox after his contract was purchased from Charlotte on May 23. Wise was batting .338 (51-151) with eight home runs, 18 RBI, 31 runs scored and 12 stolen bases in 43 games with the Knights. He led the International League in on-base percentage (.420) and ranked second in average at the time of his promotion to the White Sox.The White Sox 40-man roster is at 39.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
Anyways, after further research, I've discovered that Loaiza has been brought in to teach Quentin Spanish, according to this lengthy article...

dosestabankh6.png

That Esteban...he's The Most Interesting Man in the World!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
I would think that Masset would be first in line for that job before Esteban. Nick has way more upside and at this point is a better pitcher. Loaiza is still just rotation insurance.

And for putting him in the pen instead of Wass, that makes Zero sense.

lets hope so, masset should be the 6th starter if that is the case, but if buerhle's shoulder is injured this proves a couple of things. first , the sox continue to lie about him not being hurt, second, JR continues to prove he is right about signing pitchers to longer term contracts. They all break down. Check barry Zito. Check pedro.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:37 AM)
Wow, I couldnt have been more wrong, I dont understand this move at all. Lance is better than Loaiza at this point. Stupid, Masset was perfect as the long man.

I honestly think people on this site will be shocked when they see Loaiza pitch. Too many people are thinking he still has the ability he showed 5 years ago.

I know they want to give Masset a more important role, which thus far he does deserve so we need someone to take his long relief role, but Loaiza is not gonna be good and calling up anyone would just hurt them since they would rot on the bench. If Estey was getting torched with the dodgers whats gonna happen here in the AL and at the cell? We'll wait and see.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

Hey, there's another guy in Charlotte besides Broadway who's been putting up some pretty good numbers as of late. Over the last month Haeger has been outstanding. His record is only 4-4, but he should have 6+ wins. The pen has let him down a few times. His ERA over the last 7 starts has been around 3.00 and his BB/K ratio has been very good. He's been the best pitcher in Charlotte recently. frankly, I would take Broadway or haeger vs. EL.

I believe at this point in time Broadway and Haegar are better served to pitch on a regular basis and increase their trade value in case something needs to be done later this month or next.

Loaiza is most likely not going to get a substantial role with this team other than a spot start and an inning here or there. His arm should be fresh whenever it is needed. He has been written off a few times but has bounced back before.

Low risk/High reward

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
Well it's been pretty obvious they really like Masset and the work he's done this year, and we've seen him a few times in the 6th and 7th now. By doing this, you can send Wassermann back to triple a, give the spot Masset used to have (long relief) to Loaiza, and use Masset in the 6th or 7th if you need him or if Dotel needs a night off. Makes sense to me.

QFT...couldn't have been more right on.

To make room for Loaiza on the 25-man roster, the Sox optioned reliever Ehren Wasserman to Class AAA Charlotte. Loaiza takes his spot in the bullpen.

"Just protection,'' White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said of his latest Loaiza addition. "One thing that (manager) Ozzie (Guillen) and Coop (pitching coach Don Cooper) expressed to me a couple of weeks ago was a desire to maybe move Nick Masset into a little bit more prominent role in the back of the bullpen on days when (Scott) Linebrink or (Octavio) Dotel may not be available.

"We've obviously gained a lot of confidence in Nick's ability to get big outs and throw groundballs and get us double-play situations.''

Loaiza was 1-2 with a 5.63 ERA in seven games (3 starts) with the Dodgers this season before the Sox claimed him off waivers. The right-hander was in uniform Wednesday night against the Royals.

"My concern was the bullpen, the way we were using it,'' White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We've got to protect our pitchers the best we can. Loaiza can do both. He's going to be the long man and an emergency starter. That's the way we're going to start with him. That will give us an opportunity to use Masset more. Because the way Masset is pitching, I think we should use him a little bit more.''

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
QFT...couldn't have been more right on.

To make room for Loaiza on the 25-man roster, the Sox optioned reliever Ehren Wasserman to Class AAA Charlotte. Loaiza takes his spot in the bullpen.

"Just protection,'' White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said of his latest Loaiza addition. "One thing that (manager) Ozzie (Guillen) and Coop (pitching coach Don Cooper) expressed to me a couple of weeks ago was a desire to maybe move Nick Masset into a little bit more prominent role in the back of the bullpen on days when (Scott) Linebrink or (Octavio) Dotel may not be available.

"We've obviously gained a lot of confidence in Nick's ability to get big outs and throw groundballs and get us double-play situations.''

Loaiza was 1-2 with a 5.63 ERA in seven games (3 starts) with the Dodgers this season before the Sox claimed him off waivers. The right-hander was in uniform Wednesday night against the Royals.

"My concern was the bullpen, the way we were using it,'' White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We've got to protect our pitchers the best we can. Loaiza can do both. He's going to be the long man and an emergency starter. That's the way we're going to start with him. That will give us an opportunity to use Masset more. Because the way Masset is pitching, I think we should use him a little bit more.''

Wait...we're still paying him the minimum, right? Not the prorated part of his original contract. Right?

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:29 AM)

I like the sound of that. :cheers