Walker Article

knightni

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Leave the kid alone!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Hitting coach Walker's job safe for now

Manager Guillen doesn't blame coach for offense's struggles

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- It wasn't hard to track down Greg Walker prior to Tuesday's series opener with the Royals, as the White Sox hitting coach was working in the batting cages with position players from the time he arrived at U.S. Cellular Field.

Basically, the hard-working Walker was following his normal daily routine.

Getting Walker to talk Tuesday about Ozzie Guillen's angry commentary focused on the team's offensive shortcomings following Sunday's loss to the Rays, a diatribe that mentioned Walker by name, was a bit more difficult.

"Out of respect to the owner, I'm not commenting," said Walker, who went back to working with Jim Thome and Carlos Quentin following his brief statement.

Walker has been close with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf since his playing days 25 years ago. It was Reinsdorf who told MLB.com at the end of the disappointing 2007 campaign that anyone who knew anything about the game wasn't questioning the job done by the team's hitting coach.

Reading between the lines of Walker's no-comment, it's clear that Walker was less than pleased with Guillen's postgame outburst. The highly-professional hitting coach did not display his displeasure outwardly, however.

Guillen and Walker had not spoken as of Tuesday afternoon. But Guillen had plenty to say about the status of Walker's job. It wasn't quite the resounding vote of confidence issued by Guillen in the past.

"Well, the players are gonna dictate," said Guillen. "When I have to fire one of my coaches, I do it right away. I did in the past. I'm the manager of the ballclub, and he's the hitting coach.

"That's baseball. His job is fine right now. It's fine right now. But ... how long? ... I believe in his philosophy, I believe in how hard he works, but make it work. Make it work. It would be more fun. More fun for everyone."

As has been proven over the past 1 1/2 seasons, that request is easier said than done. Guillen did explain the inclusion of Walker's name Sunday, pointing out how it was the offense being criticized and Walker is the leader of the offense.

If it was a pitching issue, Don Cooper would have been called out. If the infield was the problem, then bench coach Joey Cora's name was going to be out there.

"How many times have I protected Greg Walker?" said Guillen. "That's our job. Who am I gonna blame? Me? I blame myself, too.

"I just begged the players a couple days ago to start hitting for him because I know how much this kills him. He's our hitting coach. I'm protecting my coaches the most I can, as long as they work, as long as they do what they're supposed to do, and as long as they're here every day with the players to help them."

With Guillen having control of the coaches' hiring and firing, he will ultimately make the call on Walker and any other member of his staff. General manager Ken Williams and Guillen have said numerous times before that they don't make changes solely to make someone a scapegoat for a team's struggles.

And when Guillen was asked Tuesday if Walker was doing his job, the White Sox manager responded that Walker was doing that and more. Even so, Walker could become the unfortunate odd man out if the offense doesn't turn around soon.

"I told Walker: 'Relax. Get out of the cage. Don't even talk to those people,'" Guillen said. "That hurts. That kills Greg Walker right now. I think [Monday] was the worst day off he ever had in his career, yesterday."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

All yesterday, people were saying that Walker deserves no credit for having done anything with CQ.

To me, a guy who has shown great talent at the minors, yet HASNT produced at the majors..... that's the type of guy who is aided by a hitting coach.

And a source for praise given to said hitting coach.

That, plus CQ's having switched from NL to AL. Pitchers he has not seen, etc.

Edited by Princess Dye

Walker had some other comments about the situation that I read in an ESPN article

Walker met team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf on Monday, according to the Chicago Tribune, and spent much of the day wondering about his employment status.

"I've never quit anything in my life," Walker told the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday. "I'll leave it at that. I have too much respect for Jerry Reinsdorf and what he's done for me. He's a good man and a good friend and he wants me to keep fighting, so I'm going to.

"There's some things I'd like to say, but I'm not going to say them. I'm going to keep my mouth shut and earn my money he's paying me. And if anybody doesn't like it, tough."

I've been thinking for a while that he was a lame-ass and needed to be fired but after reading the comments he made I have a lot more respect for him. Not saying that he shouldn't be fired but I have major respect for the way he's handled this situation

Well at least we know now that Walker is one of JR's boys, and it's probably ensured his job status.

Because if he wasn't, I doubt he would still be here.

But let's hope last night was the start of something for this offense.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
All yesterday, people were saying that Walker deserves no credit for having done anything with CQ.

To me, a guy who has shown great talent at the minors, yet HASNT produced at the majors..... that's the type of guy who is aided by a hitting coach.

And a source for praise given to said hitting coach.

That, plus CQ's having switched from NL to AL. Pitchers he has not seen, etc.

Quentin produced at the majors in his rookie season, quite a bit. He didn't start putting up crappy numbers until he got hurt.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Quit bein' a big skirt Walker. Who the hell else does it fall on besides the players? When the pitching sucks...Coop's huevos are in the sling. Hitters...IT'S YOU!

Greg Walker is a class act and old school. In his world you don't throw your teammates or coaches or managers under the proverbial bus. If there's something that needs to be said you say it to the individual, not to the press. A general rant is fine, but when specific names get thrown around, that doesn't fly with a lot of people, not just Greg Walker.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
Greg Walker is a class act and old school. In his world you don't throw your teammates or coaches or managers under the proverbial bus. If there's something that needs to be said you say it to the individual, not to the press. A general rant is fine, but when specific names get thrown around, that doesn't fly with a lot of people, not just Greg Walker.

If Walker was such a class act why did he go over his boss's head and over his GM's head and plead his case directly to his buddy the owner? And why was he so "hurt" just because Ozzie mentioned his name along with his own name? Why is Walker immune from any criticism or accountability for results?

Walker may or may not be a "good Coach" depending on how you define and judge that. But going purely by results, his hitters have underperformed for the past two years. Ozzie never made one negative comment about Walker before and Sunday didn't really say anything about him other than mentioning his name once during a frustrated rant. Big deal. If Walker can't handle that, he shouldn't even be there.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)

Ya know...sometimes ya do what ya gotta do. If you recall his rant...he mentions himself first. Maybe Walker needed a wakeup call instead of thinking he's all cozy with JR and all. You gotta have some thick skin sometimes and this team's offense...and their inability to be effective situational hitters falls on him. Would you have felt better if Ozzie just said "our hitting coach"? I'm not blaming all of these offensive woes on Walker...but it starts with him...PERIOD.

Again...none of us have any idea what preparation and information is being delivered to these guys in terms of plate approach...but obviously somebody's either not listening...or there's a lack of information and preparation being delivered. But when results don't happen...somebody has to be held accountable...players as well as coaches. Ozzie sent a message...from yesterday's result...that message was understood. We'll see if it carries over to today and the rest of the week. If Greg Walker has a problem with how Ozzie conducts business....move on then...Ozzie's not gonna change...nor should he.

This couldn't have come as a surprise to Walk, I've heard interviews last year where he himself all but admitted he could get the axe at any point if this misery continues, right or wrong. Guillen including himself and Williams in that rant, not to mention the "hitters" makes me want to send Walk some vagisil. His was but one name in a litany of them.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
If Walker was such a class act why did he go over his boss's head and over his GM's head and plead his case directly to his buddy the owner? And why was he so "hurt" just because Ozzie mentioned his name along with his own name? Why is Walker immune from any criticism or accountability for results?

Walker may or may not be a "good Coach" depending on how you define and judge that. But going purely by results, his hitters have underperformed for the past two years. Ozzie never made one negative comment about Walker before and Sunday didn't really say anything about him other than mentioning his name once during a frustrated rant. Big deal. If Walker can't handle that, he shouldn't even be there.

He did talk to JR on Monday. Walker was at the ballpark, working. Ozzie was with Freddy in South Beach.

Which hitters have underperformed due to bad instruction?

Thome? He was pretty good the past 2 seasons. OBP over .400. The 2 highest HR totals for a left handed hitter in team history.

Konerko? Also has been good. Injuries have slowed him.

Dye? WS MVP. Huge 2006. Hurt most of last season. People were thrilled he signed an extension.

Crede? Came on strong in 2005. Was great in 2006. Hurt last year.

AJP? Avg. down a bit from Minnesota days. Power numbers up.

Quentin? A revelation. If AZ had any thought he could do what he's done, he wouldn't be a White Sox.

Cabrera? He hasn't been as good as advertised. Considering he's playing for a contract, and admittedly selfish, do you think he pays any attention to a hitting coach?

Swisher? He's been horrible. I suppose you could say its on Greg Walker, but that would be laughable.

Ramirez? He's been a lot better hitter than most of baseball thought, or he would have been able to get more money?

Uribe? Every Uribe post blames Uribe for everything that goes wrong with the White Sox. Just the other day he needed to be released because of a couple of tough losses. The funny thing was he didn't even play.

Fields? If you read this board, you think he has a shot at the HOF.

Owens? Has done far better in Chicago than he has in Charlotte.

You don't call out your hitting coach and friend to the media. The Jerry Springer Show mentality needs to stop. Unfortunately, too many now think that kind of garbage is entertaining.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:20 AM)
He mentioned Walker's name along with his own in a rant about the team under-performing. Walker needs to grow a pair and not go whining to the owner over it.

Funny he never mentioned Don Cooper by name when the pitching was horses*** the past 2 years.