Draft is 24 hours away...

JDsDirtySox

With the draft being 24 hours away... I am curious to see who everyone wants. I know we have been talking about the draft for weeks, but now that we are here, tell me who you would take.

Lets assume Tim Beckham Brian Matusz and Pedro Alvarez are off the board, but everyone else is fair game.

Who are your top 3 choices/wishes for our Chicago White Sox.

Mine are:

1. Buster Posey

2. Kyle Skipworth

3. Brett Wallace

I think if either Crow or Posey were to drop to us, we'd have to take them.

Smoak would be next on my want list... Beyond that, flip a coin between Alonso, GBeckham, and Wallace IMO.

My only concern about Beckham are the reports that suggest he'll eventually end up as a 2B rather than a SS. If that's the case, I'd rather use the pick on a powerhitting 1B.

Edited by scenario

Good god, if Buster Posey were to fall that would be tremendous. Hell, if we wanted to convert Posey to SS, he'd grade out above Beckham (thats how good of an athlete Posey is). I can't utter how excited I'd be if Posey fell into the Sox laps.

Skipworth is the more likely candidate to fall though. Crow is not going to get past the Reds (despite all this talk about Kelly going there) just like Castro is not going to be taken by the White Sox.

1. Skipworth. HS catchers with his talent don't come around very often. Comparable to Mauer a little. Will take time, but we've got A.J signed for another few seasons, so there's no rush.

2. Smoak. Gonna need a replacement for Thome / Konerko, and this guy could move through the system quickly.

3. Crow. Would give us a potential ace prospect if all went to plan. 3 pitches he can dominate with, even if he relies on his slider a lot.

Posey I thought may have had a chance of slipping yesterday, but everything I've read today about him indicate he's almost a lock for the top 5. Skipworth to #6 is what I expect.

As for who we'll pick, Beckham or Wallace is what I am expecting at this stage.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
Hosmer will go 3 or 5, book it. And him going 5 is the only shot Smoak falls to the Sox pick.

Well, if Beckham goes no. 1, then Posey falls to 5, IMO. The Giants won't pass on Posey. So, that leaves KC and Baltimore as the only real big threats to take Smoak, and it looks like Baltimore wants Matusz. Also, it looks like the only player KC would take ahead of Hosmer is Beckham.

I really think that if Beckham goes no. 1 overall, there will be a good chance now that both Smoak and Crow will be there at 8. Man, that'd be a tough decision.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
Hosmer will go 3 or 5, book it. And him going 5 is the only shot Smoak falls to the Sox pick.

Awesome. We need either a surprise (which Hosmer would be considering his demands) or an overdraft for this to be a possibility.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Well, if Beckham goes no. 1, then Posey falls to 5, IMO. The Giants won't pass on Posey. So, that leaves KC and Baltimore as the only real big threats to take Smoak, and it looks like Baltimore wants Matusz. Also, it looks like the only player KC would take ahead of Hosmer is Beckham.

I really think that if Beckham goes no. 1 overall, there will be a good chance now that both Smoak and Crow will be there at 8. Man, that'd be a tough decision.

I'm hoping Smoak goes 3 (Royals could have went with Alvarez at 3, but that doesn't look like it will happen unless Pitt shocks the world and doesn't take him) to the Royals, Hosmer than would go 5 to the Giants (they like Hosmer more than Posey I think) and than we'll see Posey quite possibly slide to 8. Its me hoping, but who knows.

I cant wait to watch this .. but i havent looked at the class as much as i did last season .. oh well .. ill go read up on some stuff ... unless people can fill me in on this Smoak fella

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 04:18 AM)
I'm hoping Smoak goes 3 (Royals could have went with Alvarez at 3, but that doesn't look like it will happen unless Pitt shocks the world and doesn't take him) to the Royals, Hosmer than would go 5 to the Giants (they like Hosmer more than Posey I think) and than we'll see Posey quite possibly slide to 8. Its me hoping, but who knows.

Posey... eh, what's his potential, .285, 15-20 homers, good to great defense and he should walk a bit so a decent OBP.

With the no. 8 pick I want someone with star potential and I don't think that guy is Posey. Give me Smoak.