Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm telling you, Kenny already got his SS of the future in Ramirez and he know's it. We will take Smoak...unless we are very intrigued by Crow.

Looks like our middle-infield of the future is Ramirez at 2B and Beckham at SS, or vice versa.

Singleton says Beckham at 2B and Lexi at SS. Take it for what it's worth...

Smoak to the Nats or the 'Stros?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Looks like our middle-infield of the future is Ramirez at 2B and Beckham at SS, or vice versa.

Smoak to the Nats or the 'Stros?

That's too bad. I guess Beckham's tools were too much to pass on. And they probably like Swish at 1B any way. Oh well, I guess, Smoak can go rot in the NL :crying

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
barf. if this guy can't play major league SS, it's a waste of a pick.

Well, I wouldn't say so. If he were to become a very good 2B, I don't think you could call that a waste. Yeah, SS is the sexy, premier position, but very good offensive 2B aren't easy to come by. You think Chase Utley was a waste of a pick b/c he ended up at 2nd?

Even if Beckham ends up at 2B, it's still not that bad of a scenario.

He projects to be a mix b/w Khalil Greene and Michael Young offensively (Greene would be a .260 20HR hitter away from PETCO FWIW), and that's pretty good production from either a 2B or a SS.

I guess with O-Cab unlikely to stay, and Uribe not a long - term option, the Sox needed somebody they could count on from 2010 onwards to be a part of that middle infield.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
Beckham will probably end up playing 2nd base. I think it is who the Sox targeted all along and he just fell to them. Guy from BA really liked the pick.

Although I don't put much in what the talking heads say, when Longoria and Jeter are mentioned when comparing Beckham, you have to feel optimistic. Callis said it was a great pick so we shall see.