Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
I hope we don't look back on the draft in the coming years and regret not taking Smoak or Crow....

We heard your "regret" post the first time.

Seriously, you could have said that about ANY player they drafted.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Even if Beckham ends up at 2B, it's still not that bad of a scenario.

He projects to be a mix b/w Khalil Greene and Michael Young offensively (Greene would be a .260 20HR hitter away from PETCO FWIW), and that's pretty good production from either a 2B or a SS.

I guess with O-Cab unlikely to stay, and Uribe not a long - term option, the Sox needed somebody they could count on from 2010 onwards to be a part of that middle infield.

You've got to like the potential of a Fields-Ramirez-Beckham-Swisher IF in a couple years.

QUOTE (Cowch @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
idk anything about this guy. Someone wanna give me a rundown? And maybe a rundown of Smoak and Crow too. Try not to be biased. haha.

i saw beckham play in person about 10 times....all as a freshman and soph though....he was tiny as a freshman...couldnt have been more than 150 but he was pretty solid....decent line drive type hitter....added a ton of power his junior year and jumped from like 7 to 13 to 24 HRs his jr year as he filled out his frame...

i believe he won the cape HR derby (which is with wood bats)

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
I think we can all agree we're happy the Sox didn't take Castro...

That was pretty much my only yuck pick.

Beckham, Smoak, Wallace. As long as we got one of the three I was happy.

Now lets go overslot in the 3rd round.

I am fine with the pick. Between Beckham and Smoak, it probably came down to utility. At worst Beckham can be a useful utility infielder while Smoak is somewhat limited to 1B/DH duties, which seem to be in abundance.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
Lots of players never play the position they were drafted at. I believe Konerko and Carlos Lee started as 3bmen in the minors. I think they drafted the player over the position.

konerko was a catcher, then a 3b, now a 1b

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Yay! We got a right handed hitting version of Chris Getz! Awesome! Who needs a switch hitting power hitter who could be in the bigs by 2010?

thats completely untrue... beckham way, way more upside than getz

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
Yay! We got a right handed hitting version of Chris Getz! Awesome! Who needs a switch hitting power hitter who could be in the bigs by 2010?

You're overreacting. Getz hit 4 HRs in College while Beckham hit 50.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Even if Beckham ends up at 2B, it's still not that bad of a scenario.

He projects to be a mix b/w Khalil Greene and Michael Young offensively (Greene would be a .260 20HR hitter away from PETCO FWIW), and that's pretty good production from either a 2B or a SS.

I guess with O-Cab unlikely to stay, and Uribe not a long - term option, the Sox needed somebody they could count on from 2010 onwards to be a part of that middle infield.

Ramirez, Getz, Richar?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)

Ummm Beckham has power.

He won't be as good as Chase Utley, but he'll hit 20-25 HR's a season if he makes it to the majors (and hitting at the Cell will help that).

In no way is he Chris Getz.