Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Going after the best athletes on the field I guess.

It's like a fantasty draft in the later rounds. You can just get who ever's the best and use them as trade bait. ;)

Edited by Cowch

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
So for those in the know of some of these guys, does it seem the Sox are having a decent draft outside of the KW Jr. pick? I know it is really early to tell at this point, but as far as prospecting goes it seems like they seem to be drafting some good players. (Based on what I have read)

It'll come down to who gets signed. If they signed Danks/Long/Uproch (or however its spelled) you are talking about a very good draft, imo, because along with those guys you have quite a few projectable arms coming in and a good looking shortstop. I'd be thrilled, but again, its a crapshoot, so who knows if the Sox will be able to sign any of those three tough picks (and if they don't sign them, the class obviously looks a bit weaker).

Long is probably the biggest longshot since its not as if he needs money so throwing 3rd round money his way may not entice him. I'm hoping the Sox throw 2nd round money to Danks and go top 4 round money with Uproch. I see no reason why they shouldn't because they clearly won't be breaking the bank on the early picks (or at least I doubt they will, nor have they done so in any recent drafts).

Heck, I'd trade Juan Uribe and let someone eat his contract if it meant the Sox took all that savings and poored it straight into the signing bonuses of those three guys.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
Saw this about Morel;

Are we? I guess if Crede leaves, we'll need a backup for Fields, but I wouldn't say we're really "in need" of a 3rd baseman.

I still dont' think the Sox are as high on Fields as a lot of people on here. I'm a big believer of dealing Fields for another prospect or two once he gets going in AAA (or if he gets going). He has too many holes in his game to be a truly great player (yet I think his value is pretty darn high on the trade market).

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 12:25 PM)
Jonathan Weaver has a projectable frame and hasn't signed with a four-year school. The 6-foot-3, 185 pounder has an easy, fluid delivery. His fastball sits in the upper 80s and touches the low 90s, and his breaking ball shows promise. He has committed to Heartland (Ill.) CC.

-BA.

Draft and foll....oh wait.

If we sign Danks, I would think he is immediately one of the best baserunners and the best defensive outfielder in the system. He is a premier athlete. There are questions with his bat, but I'm not sure I buy into that.

Oh and if we sign Danks, I shotty his AAP.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
I still dont' think the Sox are as high on Fields as a lot of people on here. I'm a big believer of dealing Fields for another prospect or two once he gets going in AAA (or if he gets going). He has too many holes in his game to be a truly great player (yet I think his value is pretty darn high on the trade market).

For as much as they have sucked at drafting the last 20 years they have done well in evaluating their own talent in trading. There are few players that we thought we would regret trading that we have actually regretted. After getting both Vazquez and Quentin from Arizona, I would think that the Chris Young trade is even, if not even advantage us. Danks has worked out thus far, with BMac on the DL. I trust us evaluating talent that is already in the minors/1st couple year players than I do drafting. So if they are not high on Fields and can sign Crede, I would not mind a trade.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
The paper in Dekalb said NIU's junior shortstop, Bobby Stevens, is a projected 6th-15th round pick. He's a nice little player and I've seen him play probably a dozen times if not a few more, but if that is accurate, then I am not the guy a scouting department is looking for because I'd have never guessed he'd be close to that high a pick. We've got a pitcher the Royals took last year that should be picked tomorrow as well.

In relevance to the thread though, I talked to a couple scouts earlier this year at an NIU game and they both LOVED our 4th round pick, O'Neil from Penn State, enough to mention him as one of the top relief arms they've seen this year. Supposedly in the Joe Smith mode as BearSox accurately said, and he could move through the system very quickly.

He got taken in the 16th round by Baltimore, and NIU's friday starter Trevor Feeney got taken later by Detroit. I went to a bunch of games this year and figured he would get drafted but not this high.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
I guess if Crede leaves, we'll need a backup for Fields, but I wouldn't say we're really "in need" of a 3rd baseman.

I think it's fair to say we're fairly weak there prospect-wise.

AA - Javier Castillo

A+ - CJ Retherford

A - Logan Johnson

Nice players, but...

If Morel ends up in Kanny, Johnson will probably move back to 2B which probably makes more sense for him anyway.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
He got taken in the 16th round by Baltimore, and NIU's friday starter Trevor Feeney got taken later by Detroit. I went to a bunch of games this year and figured he would get drafted but not this high.

Same here. I have probably been to 5 or 6 games each of the last two years, and I'd have never guessed Stevens would go in the 16th round as a junior. It was nice to see Feeney move up 8 rounds from 39 last year to 31 this year though, he has a good arm.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
I think it's fair to say we're fairly weak there prospect-wise.

AA - Javier Castillo

A+ - CJ Retherford

A - Logan Johnson

Nice players, but...

If Morel ends up in Kanny, Johnson will probably move back to 2B which probably makes more sense for him anyway.

Logan is a def 2B.

I think we have a good shot at signing Danks because I think KW jr will sign for 2 dollars and a new car.

Wade Kapteyn was taken in the 40th round by the Twins. The Sox took him in the 20th round out of Illiana Christian HS in 2006. The Baseball America scouting report then said he could blossom into a first rounder after college. He is now a draft eligible soph at Evansville. He had an ERA over 9 this year in 10 starts. Just throwing that out there.

Also, Jimmy Parque got drafted heh.

You and I are in lock step on this one. I'm not a betting man but if I were, and the White Sox had a hole in the next 6 weeks, he's the primary trade bait and they worry about next year's 3B after the season.

But this is the draft thread so I'll leave it at that.

There's no way we sign Long. He wants to come to college and I highly doubt he'd sign unless we gave him a s***load of money.

Secondly, Kenny Williams Jr. sorta sucks. 0-1 K, BB. He got pinch hit for in the 7th (I think it was the 7th). He is also credited with throwing a bat at his coaches after he took ball 4 (It was an accident, but hillarious.) He flung that thing right at them like he ment too, itwas interesting. Does have some good speed though.

Edited by chimpy2121

Lee Fischer, SS of Missouri, just got drafted by the Sox. He lost his starting job at Mizzou because he was hitting around the Mendoza line. Good defense though. He's from the south suburbs somewhere (don't remember) and I talked to his parents during one of the fall games. They are Sox fans, dad was cool to talk to. This has to be a favor to someone somehow.

I've got to start following college baseball more. I haven't heard of any of these guys. So other than Beckham and Danks, the only two guys we've drafted that I've got a clue about, who's worth keeping an eye on (in other words, which guys have a chance in hell of actually making it to the show?).

Edited by Jordan4life

Any Bloomington area people ever see the Riggins kid play? My dad did once and said the kids a monster 1B (about 6-2, 235) and a tremendous hitter. Played in the Area Code Games last year. He's signed on to play at NC State.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
Any Bloomington area people ever see the Riggins kid play? My dad did once and said the kids a monster 1B (about 6-2, 235) and a tremendous hitter. Played in the Area Code Games last year. He's signed on to play at NC State.

I have seen him play...

The one thing I can tell you is he is definitely a monster. I didn't walk away in awe of him, but I can definitely see how scouts are excited about his future. I think he will stick with NC State.

Another name of interest drafted by the Sox is Steve Sabatino out of Lockport. This kid is a stud pitcher.

Going to Notre Dame I believe, had arm trouble and was shut down for most of this year... but I tell ya what, I like his make up.

Sorry guys...

"I am officially a Florida State Seminole, and I could not be happier. I am counting down the days until my first day at FSU."

Kyle went on to tell me to make sure y'all know that the fans and supporters are what made it such a easy decision.

The first text I got from Kyle last night after day one of the draft ended was just one word - "Seminole". That obviously made my night.

Kyle put a number out there and said if he didn't get that number, he'd gladly come to school.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Sorry guys...

The quote goes really well for FSU until...

"Kyle put a number out there and said if he didn't get that number, he'd gladly come to school"

That's a pretty big if. Especially considering how many overdrafts and diamonds in the rough we had mixed in this draft.

They should be able to throw decent money at guys like Danks, Dubler, Steven Upchurch, Kyle Long, etc.

I can't see Long signing for anything but first round money and there is no way the Sox are going to offer him up 1.5 to 2 mill (hell, Beckham may not get much more than 2-3 mill (in fact I would be surprsied if he got much more, if any more than that).

If I was running an organization, I'd pay $$ to anyone who was talented that I could draft.

If a guy is a 23rd round pick, but has #1 round talent, pay him.

I'd rather waste 25 mil on prospects than on old vets who don't perform.