Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
C- or D+

I was thinking the same.

Although it seems someone asks this question every year on Soxtalk, and there's always those group of people who say "well, I think it's difficult to judge our grade right now -- (player A) or (player B) (bulls*** reasoning for failling to criticize the team)." I'm sure a few will come around and prove me right.

I'm probably looking too far into this drafting of Williams in the 6th round (since I couldn't tell you one other player I'd prefer at the slot), but it just seems to convey a sense of misdirection within our organization. It's obvious Kenny has a significant voice in who we draft. It's also apparent he wasn't supposed to go there. Am I supposed to believe we just made that one mistake, that earlier selections in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds weren't overdrafts as well?

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it anywhere yet (taken from SSS)

BP loves White Sox 4th rounder Drew O'Neil

Bryan Smith (4:42:33 PM PT): Another reliever worth mentioning, if only because I have some unique info: the White Sox take Drew O'Neil, from Penn State in the fourth. I LOVE this pick. I went through O'Neil's play-by-play logs last week, and look at what I found: O'Neil garnered 43 groundball outs in 2008, versus just THREE outfield flyball outs. He also had three infield flies and two lineouts. That's a sinker, and he's really about the same pitcher as Carlos Gutierrez.

O'Neil seems solid, I shy away from relievers though as I typically believe you can find a lot of raw arms elsewhere and turn them into relievers at one point or another. Its why I like starters more than anything in terms of drafting pitchers and SS more than anything when drafting bats (as both have the ability to fill other needs; starters can also turn into relievers; SS's can play practically anywhere on the field).

I was thinking Kyle Williams, who I know is a tremendous athlete, but this selection is TERRIBLE. Williams was ridiculously over-drafted. He is a very very good athlete (which is a plus) but his baseball abilities aren't at the level that warrant him going in the first 10 rounds. The Sox have done nothing but take easy signs when other superior talents were on the board.

I'm obviously not in the war room and I haven't seen a ton of guys so I base a lot on other publications (which may not be right) but my god I just hate the philosphy/direction the organization seems to have. Again, this is very early and with the MLB draft more than any other draft, you dont' know who 90% of the guys are so its hard to necessarily hammer a pick. But when a consensus tells me a guy won't go for another 10 rounds and its only the 5th or 6th round I wonder why. Later on, I could give two craps because the deeper into the draft the far different each teams draft board is going to look.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
O'Neil seems solid, I shy away from relievers though as I typically believe you can find a lot of raw arms elsewhere and turn them into relievers at one point or another. Its why I like starters more than anything in terms of drafting pitchers and SS more than anything when drafting bats (as both have the ability to fill other needs; starters can also turn into relievers; SS's can play practically anywhere on the field).

I was thinking Kyle Williams, who I know is a tremendous athlete, but this selection is TERRIBLE. Williams was ridiculously over-drafted. He is a very very good athlete (which is a plus) but his baseball abilities aren't at the level that warrant him going in the first 10 rounds. The Sox have done nothing but take easy signs when other superior talents were on the board.

I'm obviously not in the war room and I haven't seen a ton of guys so I base a lot on other publications (which may not be right) but my god I just hate the philosphy/direction the organization seems to have. Again, this is very early and with the MLB draft more than any other draft, you dont' know who 90% of the guys are so its hard to necessarily hammer a pick. But when a consensus tells me a guy won't go for another 10 rounds and its only the 5th or 6th round I wonder why. Later on, I could give two craps because the deeper into the draft the far different each teams draft board is going to look.

So, how would you grade our selections today? Overall, that is.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

How can you grade a baseball draft this early? I just don't understand that. It seems that people grade on if they liked the players. What if KW jr is the next Curtis Granderson. Nobody knows, I think you should wait 5 years to grade a draft.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
How can you grade a baseball draft this early? I just don't understand that. It seems that people grade on if they liked the players. What if KW jr is the next Curtis Granderson. Nobody knows, I think you should wait 5 years to grade a draft.

Yeah you should wait...but still, there's no reason to think that KW JR wouldn't have been there in 3 or 4 rounds if we'd wanted him then.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
Jeez. Until the KW2 pick, I would have given them a B thus far. But WTF is up with the favor draft? That is just dripping with unprofessional B.S. That knocks it down to a C.

The best part about baseball drafting is that outside of the top picks, you really have zero idea how the kids talent and skills will translate to major league baseball. Its entirely a crapshoot. Look at the history of #1 picks even. Its funny we grade this and grade that, but really nobody on here knows much about these kids.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)

If Kenny Williams Jr. ever sniffs the big leagues, I'll f***ing kiss your balls.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:19 PM)

Is it really that difficult to just give a letter grade with some reasoning to justify it?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
It's not that any of these 5 guys couldn't be studs, but they seem to fit the profiles of being overdrafted, sans Beckham.

I don't mind overdrafts on principle...I just mind overdrafts if the reason isn't 100% your scouts belief in their baseball ability. If someone tells me they've got a stud that no one else has found, that might be plenty of reason. But I really doubt that happened in KW's case.

I disagree with this drafting of Ken Williams Jr., it's just not a good idea for a lot of reasons. A whole heap of extra pressure just landed on this young man and taking the GM's son reeks of nepotism. To pick him on the 2nd day is not a big deal but there is every reason to believe taking him in the 6th round is a major overdraft.

Now, I hope Kenny Williams Jr. goes out and proves me completely wrong.

The other picks ... I could care less if they have a scouting video on mlb.com or if they've been hyped and rated highly by Baseball America. None of that matters. Supposedly they have a bunch of new scouts so you let those scouts do their job and you trust them. If in the rearview mirror it doesn't work out, you go and find new scouts or new front office people or whatever. How many so called draft experts on this board said the White Sox would snag Jordan Danks just as soon as they could? Well that didn't happen and maybe just maybe these scouts know something about these players that me (definitely) and most everyone else on this site (highly likely) do not.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
You want go get a good grade in the draft.

Beckham

Meville and yes throw first round money at him, you dont have a 2nd rounder anyway.

Danks

Then you can draft the rest in your order, they will all still be there.

Well, it looks like Danks is committed to going back to Texas for his senior year, as no one has drafted him.

ARE YOU s***TIN' ME?!?!??!? He couldn't even cut it with ASU....and he get's drafted?!?!?!? I can't even begin to tell ya how bad this pisses me off. Very disappointed we didn't take Kiel Roling in the 5th or 6th. Kyle friggin Williams....what a joke. Didn't look close...but noticed somebody said Jordan Danks was still on the board at the time of the pick....is that true?

ARE YOU s***TIN' ME?!?!??!? He couldn't even cut it with ASU....and he get's drafted?!?!?!? I can't even begin to tell ya how bad this pisses me off. Very disappointed we didn't take Kiel Roling in the 5th or 6th. Kyle friggin Williams....what a joke. Didn't look close...but noticed somebody said Jordan Danks was still on the board at the time of the pick....is that true?

Not Kyle. Kenny Williams Jr. Same dad, different kid.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)

It looks like he's going back to school. He was once projected as a first round pick, theres no reason he would drop so far unless he wasnt available.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
Not Kyle. Kenny Williams Jr. Same dad, different kid.

thanks. Didn't know he had another one at WSU. I know his youngest didn't even make Chaparrel HS (Paulie alma mater) JV team. I know this because my nephew's on the team. I still think that's a bit awkward to draft your own kid.

Edited by Wanne