Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dexter Carter opened the season as the Sunday starter, but command trouble limited his work and relegated him to the bullpen. Carter was a 12th-round pick of the Rangers in 2005 coming out of high school, and his 6-foot-6, 200-pound frame and live arm still give scouts plenty to dream on. His fastball has touched 97 and he pitches around 92 mph. Carter's slider can also be a plus pitch, but like his fastball is inconsistent.

-Baseball America.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
I said it in jest, but I grew up in DG.

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, I actually find the Downers Grove South teams to be weak---the football program has become a joke. When Belskis goes, that program is going to be down the toilet.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, I actually find the Downers Grove South teams to be weak---the football program has become a joke. When Belskis goes, that program is going to be down the toilet.

I went to North, hence the comment from me.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Holy s*** Carter had an ERA of 8.7 this year.

That's OK. His peripherals were good.

35K's vs. 33 BB's. 16 wild pitches. And 7 HBPs.

To put his control in perspective, the guy with the next highest number of wild pitches on the team had 6.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
I looked up a few things on him in the last few minutes. Univ. of Texas shifted him from LF to CF this year. Last year he set a team record by stealing 19 bases in a row, this year he stole about the same amount but was caught a few times. Looks like he had the exact same kind of year at the plate, average slightly lower than last year but not by much. Strikeouts and walks almost exactly even, same as last year. He played in all or most of UT's games this year and last year as well, so he looks to be durable.

Not any injury history to speak of other than a fractured ankle his freshman year.

Stats don't tell the whole story but if one relies strictly on stats it doesn't appear he progressed much after a very good year last year. Not sure what that's worth or what it means. Boras seems to think it means a whole lot regardless.

Obviously the kid wanted to play for Univ. of Texas where his dad and mom graduated from and I'm sure he wants the degree. The Sox should have an advantage here, they know the family and the relationship is good. But I would bet this situation goes all the way up to 8/15.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but how about a little conspiracy theory based on nothing... Danks told Borass to make an outrageous demand so that the Sox could pick him again, knowing it would scare off the other teams.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
If he can touch 97, then there is no problem with the pick. You can't teach how to throw that hard. Obtaining that speed in this round is something I have no problem with.

Exactly, I was being serious about his stuff.

If we can get Danks' signed, that really helps turn around the overall draft for us.

I mean this guy was a borderline 2nd round pick, and because of his demands', he's slipped to the 7th.

We need to hit on some of these mid-rounders as well, and try to find another Chris Carter or a B-Mac.