Beckham Huzzaaaah!

TCQ

1st Round Selection  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the White Sox's selecting of Gordon Beckham #8 overall?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • Not Sure

all i got to go on is the stats and the 2 minute videos. beckham is a little guy. he doesn't look 6'1" to me. smoak is a monster specimen who launches 450 foot bombs. anyone who thinks both have the same power potential is delirious. beckham's crappy fresh/soph stats worry me. also if a player doesn't have the range to play short, he doesn't have the range to play 2B in my opinion. just as many balls go to the right side. obviously you don't need the arm to play 2B. there have been mediocre range guys at 2B (like jeff kent). that doesn't make it a good idea. so then you have a .260 15 HR 3B with your #8 pick. great. a .260 15 HR SS is a different matter.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
beckham's crappy fresh/soph stats worry me.

He led his team in most categories both seasons and has been hitting 3rd for UGa since the 2nd half of his Freshman season. He's shown steady improvement year by year.

I would've liked Crow only because I go to Mizzou.

I don't know anything about this kid. I'd like to save this thread for a few years when he's hopefully up and helping us win another World Series.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
He led his team in most categories both seasons and has been hitting 3rd for UGa since the 2nd half of his Freshman season. He's shown steady improvement year by year.

He was also an all American as a freshman. Take a quick back track, this guy has been a stud throughout college and has just kept getting better and better.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
I would like to know your baseball experience, if you dont mind i dont know how you can make these predictions. How can you saw beckham's power wont translate to the bigs and smoaks will. Ya know there was a guy in our system with a natural swing. His name was joe borchard and he good sir is a bum.

What does my baseball experience have to do with anything? What, you have to be a pro to be able to evaluate prospects? For your information, I have been playing baseball my whole entire life, and have been following it my whole life. Granted, I might not even be able drink legally yet, but I think for the almost 20 years I have practically lived baseball, I have picked up on a few things. Does this make me a pro-scout? Far from it... but as someone who was born holding a baseball bat and has been hitting his whole life and has studied hitting his whole life, I think I have decent knowledge of a players hitting ability.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
He has the arm and I think he has the ability to stick at SS.

From what I have seen, his arm isn't all that great. I think he is a lock to be moved to 2B. The only way I see him sticking at SS is if we need a SS really really badly.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
From what I have seen, his arm isn't all that great. I think he is a lock to be moved to 2B. The only way I see him sticking at SS is if we need a SS really really badly.

Go back and watch some tape. He's got a good arm. There is zero reason to be concerned with his arm. He's got a SS arm. Its not Juan Uribe's arm, but grades out adequately. Its also why a lot of scouts project him to move to 3B if he won't stay at SS (not 2B, because his arm is strong).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
What does my baseball experience have to do with anything? What, you have to be a pro to be able to evaluate prospects? For your information, I have been playing baseball my whole entire life, and have been following it my whole life. Granted, I might not even be able drink legally yet, but I think for the almost 20 years I have practically lived baseball, I have picked up on a few things. Does this make me a pro-scout? Far from it... but as someone who was born holding a baseball bat and has been hitting his whole life and has studied hitting his whole life, I think I have decent knowledge of a players hitting ability.

And how much have you seen these two kids play? How many amateur kids have you scouted that turned out to be big league players? As a 20 year old watching baseball in the games you play and on TV, your experience in seeing what "translates" isnt very extensive. There are literally millions and millions of people out there with the same exact baseball experience you have, its not like you are above and beyond what other kids your same age have seen or done.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
And how much have you seen these two kids play? How many amateur kids have you scouted that turned out to be big league players? As a 20 year old watching baseball in the games you play and on TV, your experience in seeing what "translates" isnt very extensive. There are literally millions and millions of people out there with the same exact baseball experience you have, its not like you are above and beyond what other kids your same age have seen or done.

I never said I was a better or worse scout then other people. It's in my opinion about these two guys. Other have different opinions. I could very well be wrong. God knows I've had my fair shares of being wrong.

I don't see what the big deal about ME having an OPINION is.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
I never said I was a better or worse scout then other people. It's in my opinion about these two guys. Other have different opinions. I could very well be wrong. God knows I've had my fair shares of being wrong.

I don't see what the big deal about ME having an OPINION is.

No there isnt. There are plenty of off the wall opinions out there. But I wasnt saying you shouldnt have one, I was merely saying that although you have one, its probably not nearly as informed as the scouts who say otherwise.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
Go back and watch some tape. He's got a good arm. There is zero reason to be concerned with his arm. He's got a SS arm. Its not Juan Uribe's arm, but grades out adequately. Its also why a lot of scouts project him to move to 3B if he won't stay at SS (not 2B, because his arm is strong).

Did read that as well, seems allot of guys just spurting anything to discredit this pick.

I've seen Smoak play his whole career at South Carolina obviously, and I'm still much happier with the Beckham pick. Middle infileders with a good bat are harder to get than 1B/DH types. I don't get all the peoples animosity....guys who play first/DH that have power are a dime a dozen, and yes I know he is a switch hitter.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 09:00 PM)
I've seen Smoak play his whole career at South Carolina obviously, and I'm still much happier with the Beckham pick. Middle infileders with a good bat are harder to get than 1B/DH types. I don't get all the peoples animosity....guys who play first/DH that have power are a dime a dozen, and yes I know he is a switch hitter.

This is just as important as anything else in my mind. Unless you are absolutely dead set sure that said player is going to turn into a .950 OPS player at the very least or will be able to move to an outfield spot, you shouldn't draft a college 1Bman with the #1 pick. That, and the fact that the Sox just got their best hitter for a 1B prospect that they drafted in the 15th round too.

Oh, and for anyone that cares, a list of players who played in the MLB at Georgia. Nobody really eye-popping, but there were some respectable players.

Once he signs, he's expected to go to either Kannapolis or Winston-Salem. Bums me out a little that he won't be at Great Falls because I get to see them play. It's great though that he's far enough along in development to go right to A ball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
We draft a second baseman?

Hope he projects better numbers than most second basemen.

He's not a 2B, he's a SS. There's thought that he's going to have to end up moving to either 3B or 2B, but as of this current moment, he's a SS.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)

No....Just because you watch baseball doesnt mean you can evalutate a pro athelte. Also im pretty sure only professional scouts and those that have played higher level baseball should be the best at evaluating talent. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

PS So you cant drink but for 20 years you have been hitting and studying since coming out of the womb. You must of had some great hand eye coordination as a baby.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
Scouts inc says that he will be our #1 prospect as soon as he signs.

Anyone in the first 10 picks (replace Castro with Smoak) would have been our top prospect. I can't complain about this pick...especially after seeing him go yard today in the Super Regional game. I really wanted Smoak, mostly due to the Texeira comparison but I have since come around and have a clearer head. It was a good pick.