MLB Draft and the White Sox

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
2 names popped out at me in this years draft...

Pick #180 - Kenneth Williams Jr. (aka the son of Kenny Williams)

Pick #210 - Jordon Danks (the brother of John Danks)

Interesting

Well....we got Danks anyway even picking Williams at #180...SSI should be happy...

Man, it would be fantastic if we can sign Danks. We almost signed him out of high school, and we have a good relationship with his family. Plus, he could be with the same organization as his brother...

I'd give him the 1st round money.

KWjr. is strikingly similar to Jerry Owens in his stance and approach (at least from the left side). I would not be surprised if KW had KWjr work with Jerry Owens in the offseason and such. KW has the fascination that fast guys with weak sticks should have goofy stances that provide them with no power.

Why would KW Jr have to work with Owens or why would he? That is what we have coaches for.

A #9 hitter in a college line up is going to go to AAA and coach their starting CF? Don't think so.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
Why would KW Jr have to work with Owens or why would he? That is what we have coaches for.

A #9 hitter in a college line up is going to go to AAA and coach their starting CF? Don't think so.

I think you misread what I said. I never said KWjr. coached Owens, I said I wouldn't be surprised if KWjr. worked with Owens as in getting tips from Owens and such. KW probably had KWjr. at a lot of the side practices and such, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had/wanted Owens to give him a few pointers.

You have what I said in reverse.

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I just read this from Keith Law at ESPN:

The worst pick of the day belongs to the White Sox, who took GM Kenny Williams' son in the fifth round. Kenny Williams Jr. is a senior at Wichita State who doesn't even play every day and who was ruled academically ineligible for the 2007 season. He's a good athlete and at least a 55 runner, but he's 22 years old, played in 12 games in total prior to 2008, and wasn't on most teams' draft boards, although two or three other teams appeared to have had him inside the 10th round. It is hard to imagine that he would have been their 5th-round pick if his name was Kenny Smith, but the White Sox liked Kenny Jr.'s athleticism, something that was relatively scarce in this draft's pool of college position players.

Kinda makes you proud to be a Sox Fan, huh?

QUOTE (SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
Forgive me if this has been posted, but I just read this from Keith Law at ESPN:

The worst pick of the day belongs to the White Sox, who took GM Kenny Williams' son in the fifth round. Kenny Williams Jr. is a senior at Wichita State who doesn't even play every day and who was ruled academically ineligible for the 2007 season. He's a good athlete and at least a 55 runner, but he's 22 years old, played in 12 games in total prior to 2008, and wasn't on most teams' draft boards, although two or three other teams appeared to have had him inside the 10th round. It is hard to imagine that he would have been their 5th-round pick if his name was Kenny Smith, but the White Sox liked Kenny Jr.'s athleticism, something that was relatively scarce in this draft's pool of college position players.

It would be nice if they at least got the round right if they are going to rip the Sox...

QUOTE (SadChiSoxFanOptimist @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)

I ws just going to ask if KW's son was a legit 5th round pick. For a team with a crappy minor league system, it doesn't sound like, especially if only a couple of teams saw him as a 10th rd pick.

If he wasn't a legit pick, then this is worse then Schu picking his daughter in the 45th round (or whatever it was). I'm guessing more fifth round picks make it to the majors then 45th round (though there are exceptions like Piazza and Buehrle in the 38th). And I've heard enough the state of the Sox farm system to know not too waste any picks anymore.

You know who gives a s***

KW2 has the same probability to make it as anyone else they could have taken right there..

You either make it, or you don't.. the MLB draft is a complete guess

While I agree that he would have still been there later, I don't agree we should be ripping them taking him.. Everyone seems more pissed that its KWs son, but what if it wasn't KW's son but was the exact same player.. I am sure there would still be questions around it but not as pissed as some people seem..

I don't really have a problem with it, draft an athlete and let the coaches try and develop him.. if he works out, great, if he doesnt he can join the long line of players that have been drafted that didn't make it

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
I ws just going to ask if KW's son was a legit 5th round pick. For a team with a crappy minor league system, it doesn't sound like, especially if only a couple of teams saw him as a 10th rd pick.

If he wasn't a legit pick, then this is worse then Schu picking his daughter in the 45th round (or whatever it was). I'm guessing more fifth round picks make it to the majors then 45th round (though there are exceptions like Piazza and Buehrle in the 38th). And I've heard enough the state of the Sox farm system to know not too waste any picks anymore.

The White Sox actually drafted 3 or 4 guys after Carrie Schueler that year that actually played in the major leagues. I think a couple of them signed with the Sox and one or 2 didn't. One was Placido Polanco. There was more nepotism in the White Sox draft this year as Travis Otto, son of Dave Otto, former big leaguer and Cubs broadcaster , grandson of Al Otto, White Sox part-time Chicago area scout, was picked in a later round.

Edited by Dick Allen

Whoops. Same draft though at least. Either way I could give two s***s if you want to take someone's kid in the 40th round. I have buddies that got drafted late in the game and I was better than them (it was just a matter that we all worked with a scout and the scout knew that these guys would actually sign (and they just wanted bodies).

And no, I am not even close to good enough to be capable of playing in the minors (nor were these guys). In fact, they wouldn't dominate a softball league.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
Whoops. Same draft though at least. Either way I could give two s***s if you want to take someone's kid in the 40th round. I have buddies that got drafted late in the game and I was better than them (it was just a matter that we all worked with a scout and the scout knew that these guys would actually sign (and they just wanted bodies).

And no, I am not even close to good enough to be capable of playing in the minors (nor were these guys). In fact, they wouldn't dominate a softball league.

I wish you would have told me about that before I finished high school. I could have sent you some videos and what not. :crying

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
KWjr. is strikingly similar to Jerry Owens in his stance and approach (at least from the left side). I would not be surprised if KW had KWjr work with Jerry Owens in the offseason and such. KW has the fascination that fast guys with weak sticks should have goofy stances that provide them with no power.

Which is why Jerry Owens has 0 plate appearances with the Chicago White Sox this season. Yep, some fascination.

Owens was a solid prospect when he was traded for a waiver claim. The Sox essentially claimed Owens off waivers from the Expos/Nationals for a player they were likely going to lose (who, BTW, has never had much more than a cup of tea ever in the majors). And, before anything about Podsednik is thrown out, that was much more of a financial move than it was a baseball move. Ken Williams does not warrant the assertion that he has some fascination with fast guys that have weak sticks.

Darin Erstad is not fast, so he doesn't fall in, and I never understood that obsession.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)

You mean you DON'T like Jerry Owens' John Holmes impression???

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
Which is why Jerry Owens has 0 plate appearances with the Chicago White Sox this season. Yep, some fascination.

Owens was a solid prospect when he was traded for a waiver claim. The Sox essentially claimed Owens off waivers from the Expos/Nationals for a player they were likely going to lose (who, BTW, has never had much more than a cup of tea ever in the majors). And, before anything about Podsednik is thrown out, that was much more of a financial move than it was a baseball move. Ken Williams does not warrant the assertion that he has some fascination with fast guys that have weak sticks.

Darin Erstad is not fast, so he doesn't fall in, and I never understood that obsession.

Fine, but there is no denying the similarites between KWjr. and Owens.