Cuban Dayan Viciedo defected

Cubano

Tell GM Williams if Contreras and Ramirez have not. He is using the same agant as those too. Puerto Rican agent Jamie Torres. He is only 19 years old. He can play 3B, SS, outfield and he can throw 90 + MPH. He used to play for Yuniesky Betancourt and former big leaguer RHP Rolando Arrojo team, the Villa Clara Oranges.

He is ahead of more 19 years old.

Llego Dayan Viciedooooooooooooooo!

Height: 1.83 meters

Weight: 92 Kilograms

57-Dayan08_Viciedo_7_Lnew_rk.standalone.

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/167/story/222430.html

Viciedo in SS and Alexei in 2B will be a good combination for the Sox. He said that he wants to play for the Yanks but I think it is just a money thing. If the White Sox offers the right amount, they can get him.

Edited by Cubano

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
Tell GM Williams if Contreras and Ramirez have not. He is using the same agant as those too. Puerto Rican agent Jamie Torres. He is only 19 years old. He can play 3B, SS, outfield and he can throw 90 + MPH. He used to play for Yuniesky Betancourt and former big leaguer RHP Rolando Arrojo team, the Villa Clara Oranges.

He is ahead of more 19 years old.

Llego Dayan Viciedooooooooooooooo!

Height: 1.83 meters

Weight: 92 Kilograms

57-Dayan08_Viciedo_7_Lnew_rk.standalone.

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/167/story/222430.html

Viciedo in SS and Alexei in 2B will be a good combination for the Sox. He said that he wants to play for the Yanks but I think it is just a money thing. If the White Sox offers the right amount, they can get him.

Are you Dayan Viciedo?

His agent says that he can become a free agent because the draft just passed. If his name was not available, Bud Selig will deny him his free agency. Then, he will go to a third country to waste time there for his legal papers. This is what I am writing about MLB policies against cubans. I hate to admit it but it is discriminatory. I really hate to imply this.

Dayan Viciedo stats:

Seasons 3

Career at bats 1001

Oficial at bats 868

ave 286

hit 248

doubles 35

triples 13

HR 26

RBI 124

TB 387

BB 89

HP 27

SO 151

SB 5

CS 9

I got him in a DVD.

Edited by Cubano

I'm going to attempt a translation of this article, it's a little inaccurate but you'll get the point:

Cuban baseball star comes to Miami after escaping from the island

El Nuevo Herald

Roberto Koltun / El Nuevo Herald

Viciedo, 19, is regarded in Cuba as a star of the stature of Omar Linares, the most complete player that has passed the ball Cuban after 1959 and who was long coveted by Major League talent scout in 80 years.

Fotogalerie | Dayanara Viciedo reaches U.S.

The greatest promise of Cuban baseball, Dayana Viciedo, managed to escape from the island and is located in the United States following the footsteps of his other talented compatriots who have triumphed in Major Leagues.

Viciedo, 19, is regarded in Cuba as a star of the stature of Omar Linares, the most complete Cuban ball player since 1959 and the most coveted by Major League talent scouts in 80 years.

"At first I did not like me comparing with Linares, because he is almost a legend''said Viciedo during an interview with El Nuevo Herald." Then I got a little pride. As a third baseman that I am, I have two idols: Linares in the National Series [from Cuba] and Alex Rodriguez in the Major Leagues.''

Viciedo went by sea due to Mexico last May 20, accompanied by his family. Days after, he crossed the Mexican border and then traveled to Miami, where relatives and friends live.

"Most of the Cuban players dream of playing in the Major Leagues,''said Viciedo during the conversation, held this Saturday in a house southwest of Miami." This is an aspiration which has its risks, but I was willing to try. Inside, one wondered if you have a place among the best in the world, whether it belongs to the elite.''

The versions on the Viciedo flight began circulating since late last month between Cuban supporters.

A source close to the Cuban Baseball Federation confirmed to El Nuevo Herald last week that the sports authorities already knew of the departure of a young illegal to Mexico. His name was not among the 43 preselected to shape the West Indies squad to the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"It's a boy with a tremendous talent, but in recent times had been discouraged and was struggling a little'', the source said on condition of anonymity.

Viciedo acknowledged that in the last year his mind only hinged on the adventure that was already determined to undertake.

"Still this is a very good baseball player and emerging young talent with great promise, but in general the level has dropped [compared with past decades], the fall has been abysmal''said the athlete." Last year was very hard to Cuba in the international arena by some defeats.''

Born on March 10, 1989 in Remedios, Villa Clara province, Viciedo boasts the most spectacular eruption of the twenty-first century Cuban baseball after Kendry Morales, Industriales team player who left Cuba in a boat in 2004 and currently belongs to the Los Angeles Angels franchise.

"Dayanara will give a lot of talk in the Majors," said his agent, Jaime Torres Puerto Rican lawyer." Has come with youth, is very versatile and their conditions are exceptional. Very soon we will see him wearing the uniform of a Major League team. Frankly, reminds me a lot [of the Dominican Boston Red Sox] Manny Ramírez.''

With 1.83 meters high and 92 kg of weight, Viciedo (?) conditions for power hitting and versatility on defense defense, with skills to serve as SS, 3B, OF, and even P. Their pitches are over 90 mph, but Viciedo confesses that his mound presence "was definitely behind.''

He joined Cuban teams in the child and youth categories at the age of nine, and in 2004, at only 15 years old, began his career in the 44th National Series of the island.

He achieved what no other Cuban prospect obtained at the time - participate in three trade fairs in different categoriesat the same time : 15-16 years, youth and elders. In January 2006 he became the youngest player to participate in a Stars game, and that same year was included in the preselection for the Cuban I World Baseball Classic, held in the United States.

"On several occasions, Major League scouts approached me to make proposals'', acknowledged Viciedo." Since a couple of years ago I already had the idea of wanting to test with the best in the world. I'm living the beginning of a dream that I hope will be very nice.''

As a member of Villa Clara team in four sets to compile national batting average of .290, along with 300 hits, 36 HRs and 162 RBIs.

Villaclareño manager Victor Mesa said in 2006 that "Viciedo is a diamond in the rough, easy to polish'' and predicted that in a couple of years would become a star.

His career includes international tournaments regional and global levels in childhood and youth Pan American championship in Mexico in 2004, in which he was voted the MVP.

The arrival of Viciedo to the United States is produced a few months after that of Alexei Ramirez, a member of the national team and HR leader of the Cuban season of 2007, who used a family trip to Dominican Republic as a springboard to break its ties with Cuba and sign a contract with Major League Baseball.

Ramirez, 25, signed a contract in January of $ 4.75 million with the Chicago White Sox and is currently lining up as a regular outfielder, with his compatriot José Contreras, a former Cuban starting pitcher who defected in 2002 .

Both Ramirez and Contreras, as well as infielders Yunel Escobar (Atlanta Braves) and Yuniesky Betancourt (Seattle Mariners) (?) the list of Cuban Major League players who are represented by Torres.

"I could not learn a lot from them, because there talk of Major League Baseball is a difficult and can put people on notice that you do not always want to do well'', he acknowledged Viciedo." But at the hotels where we are staying during the series could see small (broadcasts?) by foreign channels.''

According to Torres, the next step for Viciedo will clarify its position regarding the Major Leagues with the aim of joining the game system. According to the migration policy that protects the Cubans, Viciedo and their families may adjust their status and become permanent residents of the United States at around one year and one day.

"Legally, he could have been chosen in the Major League draft [which ended on Friday], but was not chosen for any team, hence he can become a free agent,'' Torres said." I look forward to a response from the commissioner's office soon. If this fails, then we can try to bring him to a third country, where he may sign as a free agent.''

While Torres handles the paperwork that will pave the way for his client to the Major Leagues, Viciedo tries to see all the games that go on television and dreams of wearing the uniform of a professional as soon as possible.

"My favorite team is the Yankees, but if not with them, any club that wants to have me is not going to regret it, because I will give more than hundred percent of my effort'', said Viciedo." I am aware that now is when everything starts.''

Viciedo officially announces his presence in the United States and his plans to join the Major Leagues during a press conference scheduled for next Monday at 11 am at the Extreme Baseball Academy in Hialeah.

The defections of Cuban athletes have marked a downward spiral in recent months. In March, seven members of the national football team left the tournament preolímpico in Tampa and sought asylum in the United States, in order to become professional players.

Last May, the world judo champion Yurisel Laborde distanced himself from the Cuban delegation participating in the Pan American Judo Championships and announced its decison to stay in U.S. territory. Laborde was favorite to win an Olympic medal in Beijing this summer.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
Jamie Torres is his agent? Think he is also the agent of Count and Alexei, so if that's the case, looks like the Sox would have a good shot at him if they spend the money.

Ya, Cubano indicated in his initial post that Torres is the same agent as Count and Alexi and that hopefully the good relationship with Torres could allow the Sox to have a solid shot at this Cuban kid.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
Ya, Cubano indicated in his initial post that Torres is the same agent as Count and Alexi and that hopefully the good relationship with Torres could allow the Sox to have a solid shot at this Cuban kid.

haha missed that. BA compared him to a Cuban player that SF signed recently for $2.1 million. So if the Sox want this guy be prepared to sign him for over $2 million. Highly doubt the Sox make an attempt.

Holy s***, those are some ridiculous numbers. This guy sounds like a guy that if signed, would immediately be one of the best prospects in all of baseball. Heck, you could make a case if he was eligible for the draft that he would have went #1 overall. I'm guessing you are talking about a double digit signing bonus (ie, a 10M bonus, if not a bit more).

I'd personally have no problem giving him a 2-5M bonus and have him enter into the minor leagues, especially if the scouts agree with the assessment, but I don't know if the Sox will spend that sort of money on an international player (Ramirez was there first major international signing (well for that sort of money), but they have had very good success with Cuban players (Jose, El Duque (to a lesser extent), and Ramirez (looks good so far).

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
haha missed that. BA compared him to a Cuban player that SF signed recently for $2.1 million. So if the Sox want this guy be prepared to sign him for over $2 million. Highly doubt the Sox make an attempt.

2 million? That is nothing. A tiny drop in the bucket.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)

Depending on the confirmation of scouts, I would think he'd command similar money to what the top picks in this years draft commanded (if not a bit more, since he'll have be able to leverage multiple teams into larger offers). The report in the article, which is probably biased to an extent (and that includes Torres quotes), makes him sound like a very talented invidual (with the ability to turn into a super-star).

Again, I have no idea whether scouts would agree with the article, but if they did, you sign him and all of a sudden between Danks/Vicideo/Beckham you've added three big time guys to your system (all of which are "toolsy").

If the Sox really wanted to, they could really make a statement, throwing out a 1-2M to Danks, 1-2M to Long, 1M to the guy from Alabama, 2-5M to Beckham (I assume it will take something along those lines), and 2-5M to Viciedo. Of course we are talking about the potential of 14M in one draft (which really is a decent chunk of money to invest). Personally I've long said I'd have no problem budgeting a draft with about 10M every year (because I think it would allow you to have at least a few above slot signings, plus any money that you don't use on the draft, you pool up into the international market and spend it on other guys; if you don't spend the money, than you bank it and apply it to another year in case a really good crop of international guys is on the market).

If he's available to sign as a free agent I think that the fact that we already have two cubans on the team with the same agent gives us an automatic leg up on the rest of the MLB. If he's a legit prospect and his demands aren't outrageous then we need to make a play for him. We coughed up almost 5 million to sign Alexi, I don't see why we wouldn't do a similar deal to get this kid.

Baseball America has a piece up about this. They have some quotes from scouts who indicate he has a big body type and that as he's put on the pounds his defensive ability has degressed. The scouts quoted seemed to indicate he would eventually slide to 1st base. It does sound like he has a lot of power potential, but it also sounds like he will be eligible for the 2009 draft, which means he won't be a free agent.

Since he was in the US in May, Torres is going to have to convince baseball that he was eligible for the draft. However, since the draft sends an eligibility list to all teams and Torres name wasn't on it, it doesn't seem like Torres was eligible or the 08 draft (which means he'll have to wait a full season till he gets drafted).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1141

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
Holy s***, those are some ridiculous numbers. This guy sounds like a guy that if signed, would immediately be one of the best prospects in all of baseball. Heck, you could make a case if he was eligible for the draft that he would have went #1 overall. I'm guessing you are talking about a double digit signing bonus (ie, a 10M bonus, if not a bit more).

I'd personally have no problem giving him a 2-5M bonus and have him enter into the minor leagues, especially if the scouts agree with the assessment, but I don't know if the Sox will spend that sort of money on an international player (Ramirez was there first major international signing (well for that sort of money), but they have had very good success with Cuban players (Jose, El Duque (to a lesser extent), and Ramirez (looks good so far).

I am not seeing any ridiculous numbers. I believe those stats were compiled over 3-4 seasons.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
I am not seeing any ridiculous numbers. I believe those stats were compiled over 3-4 seasons.

Reading comprehension is a skill I have not mastered. I was thinking he put those numbers up in one season (hence why I was like holy s***, those are ridiculous numbers). Over 4 seasons those are much more pedestrian and that means if you were going to sign him, you'd be talking much more in line with a 1.5 to 3M bonus (probably close to 2M). Again that assumes he become a FA and it doesn't appear that will happen.

He is only 19 years old playing against pitchers like El Duque and Contreras. He played 3 season en Cuba not 4. Watch out for misleading facts in the american media guys!

He can be a 3B.

Remember, Alexei is 26 years old. This kid is only 19.

His agent will sell him as a SS to exploit the fact that Yunel Escobar (utility in Cuba), Yuni Betancourt (2B in Cuba) and Alexei (CF in Cuba) are holding SS or will hold (Alexei) SS positions in MLB in a very short time after defecting.

The Braves sign a lot of cuban players. The Yanks and the Mets will probably make a run at him. I hope the Nats, however, sign him. :D

If I knew hot to upload videos to youtube, I will show him to you.

Edited by Cubano

One more thing. The cuban season is only 90 games. His second season was not that good compare to his first and third I think. I"ll check on this.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
He is only 19 years old playing against pitchers like El Duque and Contreras. He played 3 season en Cuba not 4. Watch out for misleading facts in the american media guys!

He can be a 3B.

Remember, Alexei is 26 years old. This kid is only 19.

His agent will sell him as a SS to exploit the fact that Yunel Escobar (utility in Cuba), Yuni Betancourt (2B in Cuba) and Alexei (CF in Cuba) are holding SS or will hold (Alexei) SS positions in MLB in a very short time after defecting.

The Braves sign a lot of cuban players. The Yanks and the Mets will probably make a run at him. I hope the Nats, however, sign him. :D

If I knew hot to upload videos to youtube, I will show him to you.

Out of curiosity, how come the Nats? Is that the team you follow or do you feel that is the best place for him to make an immediate impact? In terms of Ramirez, I still think the Sox grade him out more as a 2B/CF and will consider resigning OC to a 2 or 3 year deal while Beckham (#8 overall pick in this week's Amateur Draft) develops to take over at SS.

To me what makes this guy so appealing his the combination of his skills and age.

I love the White Sox, but I live in WV close to D.C. I hate the Orioles and the Nats or Senators has a rich history with cubans. I like for him to sign with a bad team so he can be in the big leagues soon. I do not want him to sign with a big market team. Jamie Torres is a good agent and unlike other agents he tells his cuban clients that sometimes signing with a so so team is better than a big market club. Less money upfront but later on you are rewarded because you can shine with the bad team and make the big bucks once you are a free agent.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Baseball America has a piece up about this. They have some quotes from scouts who indicate he has a big body type and that as he's put on the pounds his defensive ability has degressed. The scouts quoted seemed to indicate he would eventually slide to 1st base. It does sound like he has a lot of power potential, but it also sounds like he will be eligible for the 2009 draft, which means he won't be a free agent.

Since he was in the US in May, Torres is going to have to convince baseball that he was eligible for the draft. However, since the draft sends an eligibility list to all teams and Torres name wasn't on it, it doesn't seem like Torres was eligible or the 08 draft (which means he'll have to wait a full season till he gets drafted).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1141

When was the last time these scouts saw him play?

Scouts are banned in Cuba and may see cubans in international tournaments for 5 or 6 games a year.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
When was the last time these scouts saw him play?

Scouts are banned in Cuba and may see cubans in international tournaments for 5 or 6 games a year.

Are scouts banned in Cuba only because of the US laws? or is it a rule on the Cuban baseball league side as well? I guess the question would be could a team that wants to look at Cuban talent hire someone from Canada (or anywhere else for that matter) to go down and take a look at the players down there?

I'm just curious what the specific rules are on this.