Cuban Dayan Viciedo defected

Cubano

Hawk said that he talked to Alexei about this kid recently and it seemed that Alexei had nothing but good things to say (his story was cut short a bit - I believe that it was right at the end of an inning and he never really started talking about the conversation again). Personally, I believe that Alexei could be a very, very useful in trying to get this kid to sign with us.

Between "El Duke", Contreras, and now Alexei, I am becoming very fond of the Cuban players and hope we can add one more to our ranks with this kid.

*Edit*

On another note, Cubano... Is there anywhere that I can listen/read the press conference that those pictures in your above post are from? I'd be really interested to see it.

Edited by southsidehawkeye

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Article in English:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/americas/c...ory/562497.html

The baseball union has done nothing for cuban defectors. I literally mean nothing. The MLB is in bed with the cuban government since the Orioles went to Cuba.

Why would people who come into the country get any different treatment than people that were already here? He should have to go through the draft. But again, another player will try to work around the system so that they can pick their own team. Sorry this is a sore subject for me, I feel that every player should have to pass through the draft in order to sign with a team regardless of their country of origin, otherwise it becomes a bidding game that excludes too many teams that need the talent the most.

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Hawk said that he talked to Alexei about this kid recently and it seemed that Alexei had nothing but good things to say (his story was cut short a bit - I believe that it was right at the end of an inning and he never really started talking about the conversation again). Personally, I believe that Alexei could be a very, very useful in trying to get this kid to sign with us.

Between "El Duke", Contreras, and now Alexei, I am becoming very fond of the Cuban players and hope we can add one more to our ranks with this kid.

*Edit*

On another note, Cubano... Is there anywhere that I can listen/read the press conference that those pictures in your above post are from? I'd be really interested to see it.

That's very heartening to hear regarding Alexei and his connection with Viciedo.

Right now the Sox are in a fantastic position to rebuild their system from argubly the 2nd worst in the majors (I consider Houston's the worst), to a top 10 system if they went out and signed this kid, and the tougher signs in the draft e.g Long the 1B/P.

And you KW would love to use those type of assets in the farm to make some trades to take this team even further.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
That's very heartening to hear regarding Alexei and his connection with Viciedo.

Right now the Sox are in a fantastic position to rebuild their system from argubly the 2nd worst in the majors (I consider Houston's the worst), to a top 10 system if they went out and signed this kid, and the tougher signs in the draft e.g Long the 1B/P.

And you KW would love to use those type of assets in the farm to make some trades to take this team even further.

If we signed this kid, we would likely be in the top 20, not top 10 though. The guys we signed would have to show that they aren't just raw and have solid potential. Our draft class looks solid and this kid certainly would be an impact prospect, but still we are seriously devoid of anything minus Fields and Broadway (who aren't top prospects in the prospect world) in the upper levels of our system. Top 10 would come in 2-3 years, but you really can't make that jump from 29 to top 10 with one draft class and one FA signing, it usually takes a couple if not three draft classes and a few FA signings. Trades for minor league talent don't hurt as well.

With the young talent on the major league level, the Sox do not need a top 10 farm system. They need 5 or 6 MLB prospects.

If you have a high payroll, you only need a couple of younger guys on the MLB team (Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Anderson, Logan, Janks, Massett) and then a couple of younger veterans (Swisher, Crede, Buerhle, Vazquez, Dotel, Thorton) and some older veterans (the rest).

A decent farm system is 5 or 6 guys that can be used to reload the MLB team via trade or taking over for a veteran. Guys like Getz and Wasserman can be more benefical than Braodway and Fields based on teh role they play at the MLB level.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 07:20 AM)
Why would people who come into the country get any different treatment than people that were already here? He should have to go through the draft. But again, another player will try to work around the system so that they can pick their own team. Sorry this is a sore subject for me, I feel that every player should have to pass through the draft in order to sign with a team regardless of their country of origin, otherwise it becomes a bidding game that excludes too many teams that need the talent the most.

I agree with partially. Either everybody goes to a draft or everybody is a free agent. However, cubans are treated differently than other foreigners. Either you go to the draft or go to a third country. Why?

MLB has a special treatment for japanese players.

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
*Edit*

I don't have it. A forumer in another forum posted it like that without the link. You may try to do a search to see if you find something. I did not find the transcripts.

This guy is around 22 years old. He is special. 97 MPH heater, lefty and tall with long arms. His name is Aroldis Chapman and he plays for the Holguin Hounds. This took place last year in a warmup game ahead of the Intercontinental Cup in Chinese Taipei. He pitched against professional players from the Taipei league. You may have to stop the "We will rock you video". Then, wait for the mini clips to appear and click on them.

http://blog.xuite.net/weijunlin/blogbrother/14208394

Edited by Cubano