2nd Base.

justBLAZE

What a great game today and nice 5 game winning streak. The 15inning win over KC was very crucial IMHO.

Lets talk about 2 base.

The emergence of Alexei Ramirez makes most Sox fans very happy, as he seems to be the real deal.

But right now organization seems to be quite rich at the 2nd base position.

We have Alexei as a starter, and Uribe and Ozuna both bench players, both could be utility man.

In AAA we have Getz performing above average and what do we with Danny Richar, who was suppose to be our future 2nd Baseman?

Well, I think we keep Getz and Ozuna, as Ozuna can play pretty much anywhere. Richar and Uribe could be in a package together with better guys, as Richar still has potential so many GMs may look at him as a good prospect still.

Keep Getz, just because if Beckham doesn't progress due to inability or injury, we have insurance.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Well, I think we keep Getz and Ozuna, as Ozuna can play pretty much anywhere. Richar and Uribe could be in a package together with better guys, as Richar still has potential so many GMs may look at him as a good prospect still.

Keep Getz, just because if Beckham doesn't progress due to inability or injury, we have insurance.

Getz will never be better than a UTL infielder at the show. Ramirez is the shortstop for the next 3-4-5 years, with Richar moving into 2B. If Beckham sucks, the insurance is already in place. The Sox are not rich at 2B by any means. Ozuna is not an every day player, neither is Uribe. We can't call Richar an everyday player yet either. If Ramirez doesn't slide over, we've only seen a small window of him so far so we can't call him an everyday player either. Right now, at 2B, they have a big mash of "Need to get rid of and let's see type players." Getz and Ozuna, the two you mentioned, being the two least valuable by a wide margian.

I didn't like Ramirez at first, but I'm gaining respect for him. But let's not forget O-Cab is on the last year of his deal and that makes Alexei the SS of next year until there is a contract signed that says otherwise.

In my mind, Richar is the only option at 2B the White Sox have left. It will be an interesting offseason again for Williams. The Sox may see an entirely different infield without Crede, Cabrera, Uribe and quiete possibly even Konerko. I excpet to see something like Fields-Ramirez-Richar-Swisher/Konerko.

Jesus, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I love the Missile but let's see a full season or so before we annoint this guy the 2nd coming. He just moved his OPS over .700 tonight. Uribe is a super sub but far from ideal as an everday player. Richar I like also and he showed good plate discipline in his call up last season -- but he at best is a league average 2B playing for cheap.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
Except it doesn't make much sense at all, seeing as Uribe is on a one year deal, and even with the little surge Baltimore is on, they certainly aren't playing for this year. What would the O's want with Uribe??

In hopes that he heats up a bit but the team tanks so they can trade a nobody prospect for somebody with a shot. That'd really be the only legitimate reason I could think of.

That's a team I'd hate to be a fan of because they just seem to be run so poorly...it's impossible to tell if they're going into a win mode or a rebuilding mode from year to year, and even worse is that they have the Sawks and Yanks in the division too.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
What a great game today and nice 5 game winning streak. The 15inning win over KC was very crucial IMHO.

Lets talk about 2 base.

The emergence of Alexei Ramirez makes most Sox fans very happy, as he seems to be the real deal.

But right now organization seems to be quite rich at the 2nd base position.

We have Alexei as a starter, and Uribe and Ozuna both bench players, both could be utility man.

In AAA we have Getz performing above average and what do we with Danny Richar, who was suppose to be our future 2nd Baseman?

1) Richar has to get the attention of the Sox brass again, and prove why he belongs to the big leagues.

2) Uribe = lame duck. The more Ramirez plays and does good, great or more, the more Uribe sits.

3) Ozuna - still the Stud Utility Player off the bench for the Sox, both IF and OF.

4) Getz - Dunno. That's KWs call.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 01:01 AM)
Why not just let Ramirez play 2b the next 10 years?

Why does he have to move to ss?

Why would you put a guy who has all the profile of a SS at 2B for the next 10 years? I mean, the only reason to keep him at 2B would be if they found a way to get Jimmy Rollins or such. The Sox only depth at SS in the minors is the guy they just drafted, Beckham. The organization would be silly to keep him at 2B and expect to keep filling SS with one year Orlando Cabrera type stop-gaps. It just doesn't work that way. Whether he can field the position, that's another debate. If he can't field it, then yes, put him at 2B for the next 10 years.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves... let's wait until teams get a good scouting report on him and see how he adjusts before we start putting him anywhere for the next 10 years (which would probably be his entire career).

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)

LOL, we drafted the guy 4 days ago, and now we have to keep a player for insurance in case he sucks?

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Is there anyway we could trade Uribe to Baltimore? I looked at Baltimore's depth chart, and their starting SS is Freddie Bynum. This idea seems to make perfect sense b/c Uribe will be happy starting every day and the Sox will be happy to move him.

Baltimore is rebuilding. The new GM would not trade for Uribe for sure. He wants young players.

My bets are than Ramirez will keep playing well. He is getting more acclimated to MLB as the days go by. If you have noticed, he has been hitting the inside fastballs first. I guess teams see him so skinny they think he will be victimized. Then, they began working him outside and with offspeed stuff. He has been directing the ball to CF and RF. Other teams have been making adjustments but Ramirez have been handling them well. Ramirez es super fast. Therefore, he will have a lot of cheap hits and he will convert hits into doubles and so forth. This team has zero speed. You have to keep throwing Ramirez out there for this reason too. If the defense follow sleep, Ramirez will lay down a bunt in any situation.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 05:00 AM)
Baltimore is rebuilding. The new GM would not trade for Uribe for sure. He wants young players.

Not to mention the fact that Uribe can't hit anymore and is only under contract for this season.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Alexei defensively. I imagine that he'll be our Opening Day SS next year. I'd like to see him get more time over there when Cabrera gets a day off.

If Cabrera continues to improve I wouldn't be surprised if KW resigns him (especially if we don't or can't resign Crede). If thats the case I could see Cabrera starting at SS, Alexei at 2B and have Richar on the bench (dumping Uribe). Alexei can play both the middle infield spots so he can move over to give Cabrera days off and Richar would slide into 2B when either Cabrera, Ramirez, or even the CF'er needs a day off (for days when Ramirez is out to CF).

The emergence of Ramirez has certainly been interesting. He was given a chace to play everyday when Uribe was injured and now Juan can't get back in the lineup. Do you think we will be looking back on the Alexei signing and compare it to the Quentin trade? Both have done very well, but Alexei needs more time to prove himself. Rookie of the Year consideration possible though?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Not to mention the fact that Uribe can't hit anymore and is only under contract for this season.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Alexei defensively. I imagine that he'll be our Opening Day SS next year. I'd like to see him get more time over there when Cabrera gets a day off.

You are right. If the Sox wants Ramirez at SS next season, they better send him out there this season more regularly so next year he is acclimated to that position. How many guys are moved here and there and do well? Sometimes, we are expecting too much from him playing everywhere at MLB level with short notice.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
The emergence of Ramirez has certainly been interesting. He was given a chace to play everyday when Uribe was injured and now Juan can't get back in the lineup. Do you think we will be looking back on the Alexei signing and compare it to the Quentin trade? Both have done very well, but Alexei needs more time to prove himself. Rookie of the Year consideration possible though?

These are the rookie of the year candidates so far and Alexei has a lot of catching to do for sure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...mp;endDate=null

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
It's gotta be Ellsbury right now based on those runs at SB's. 28 swipes already? Wow.

David Murphy has some pretty good numbers too, 20 doubles and 7 HR's. Ellsbury has a total of 12 XBH's. In comparison, Ramirez has 10 XBH's in 70 less AB's than Ellsbury.

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
If Cabrera continues to improve I wouldn't be surprised if KW resigns him (especially if we don't or can't resign Crede). If thats the case I could see Cabrera starting at SS, Alexei at 2B and have Richar on the bench (dumping Uribe). Alexei can play both the middle infield spots so he can move over to give Cabrera days off and Richar would slide into 2B when either Cabrera, Ramirez, or even the CF'er needs a day off (for days when Ramirez is out to CF).

I'd be shocked if Cabrera gets resigned.