What if...

Let me start off by saying I haven't been able to post on here in awhile and I've been wanting to hear peoples opinions on this one for awhile now (well ever since PKs been struggling).Also I'd like to say this all "what if" happens before the Swisher trade. I wanna revisit a trade rumor that was circulating around these parts in the off-season. This trade im speaking of is the PK to the Halos for Kotchman, Santana, and Figgins. Now i know Chone has had his injury problems this season and the starting staff has been phenomenal (esp. Count who I'm ruling out in this post) but how good would this team have looked (when figgins is healthy) if this trade happened...Adding Figgins would give us that missing speed and lead off hitter. This then allows OC to go down to the 2 spot where he has excelled in and with the way he's hitting now would do wonders for this team esp. when Chone gets on in front of him. Once OC gets Chone into scoring position you have Carlos there in the 3 spot who's batting .424 with RISP. Then you get to move AJ lower in the lineup where he'll be able to drive in more runs and be more effective. Then you get Kotchman over Konerko which at this point in both there careers I'd take in a second(he's much younger, a better hitter right now, and just entering his prime). This also give you a well balanced lineup of and right handed hitters.

R HR RBI SB AVG.

1. Figgins (S) 19 0 7 11 .306 (33 games)

2. OC ® 36 3 20 9 .253

3. Quentin ® 40 16 53 4 .290

4. Thome (L) 27 12 31 1 .209

5. Dye ® 31 10 24 0 .285

6. AJ (L) 25 4 23 1 .296

7. Crede ® 25 12 33 0 .286

8. Kothchman (L) 27 6 30 1 .312

9. Ramirez ® 14 3 12 2 .261

How good would that lineup look????? Then you look at the pitching staff which is already pretty damn good and you're adding what looks to be an ace in the making in Erving Santana to the mix. This ultimately means that Count or Gavin, who have been 2 of our best starters would have more then likely not been on the staff this year, probably Gavin in AAA for another year which probably woudnt have hurt him that much.

Now lets say Buehrle stinks it up all year and we decide to cut ties with him next year and count retires, that leaves us with this next year.

1. Vaz

2. Santana

3. Danks

4. Floyd

and remember now im saying this happens before the swish trade so we still have DLS and Gio (who are both doing horrible but thats besides the point lol)

5. Either Broadway, Whisler, Gio, Egbert, Haegar, or trading a couple of those pieces to get a proven pitcher

now i know the sox are winning and im not complaining about this team at all, this has just been in my head for awhile and im sitting here working overnight security at a fireworks stand so i need somethin to keep me up so i decided to do a little write up and get others opinions on how sexy this team would be.

P.S. Also tell me why you think this trade never happened, was there issue with who the sox wanted, a issue with who the halos wanted, or do you think it was just a BS rumor.

I apologize if i just wasted 5 minutes of your life but it was 30 minutes well spent on my part lol.

:gosoxretro:

all i have to say is we're in first place. we may very well have a playoff caliber team if not better. why are we talking about trades that didn't happen? can't we just enjoy the present success?

and if you wanna know WHY it didn't happen... you answered your own question - those guys are raking, they're all good. and paulie is getting older. it was a ridiculous idea for a trade in all honesty.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
all i have to say is we're in first place. we may very well have a playoff caliber team if not better. why are we talking about trades that didn't happen? can't we just enjoy the present success?

and if you wanna know WHY it didn't happen... you answered your own question - those guys are raking, they're all good. and paulie is getting older. it was a ridiculous idea for a trade in all honesty.

Reddy I appreciate the response, let me repost this little section for you

"now i know the sox are winning and im not complaining about this team at all, this has just been in my head for awhile and im sitting here working overnight security at a fireworks stand so i need somethin to keep me up so i decided to do a little write up and get others opinions on how sexy this team would be."

also yes i agree it would be a ridiculous trade right now but in the offseason maybe not so much esp. before they got hunter, the angels wanna win and they wanna win now and if they would of picked up paulie in the offseason (when they thought he was gonna be another .270 hitter, hit 30-40 homers, and drive in 100 plus runs) they would have been ecstatic.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:35 PM)
Let me start off by saying I haven't been able to post on here in awhile and I've been wanting to hear peoples opinions on this one for awhile now (well ever since PKs been struggling).Also I'd like to say this all "what if" happens before the Swisher trade. I wanna revisit a trade rumor that was circulating around these parts in the off-season. This trade im speaking of is the PK to the Halos for Kotchman, Santana, and Figgins. Now i know Chone has had his injury problems this season and the starting staff has been phenomenal (esp. Count who I'm ruling out in this post) but how good would this team have looked (when figgins is healthy) if this trade happened...Adding Figgins would give us that missing speed and lead off hitter. This then allows OC to go down to the 2 spot where he has excelled in and with the way he's hitting now would do wonders for this team esp. when Chone gets on in front of him. Once OC gets Chone into scoring position you have Carlos there in the 3 spot who's batting .424 with RISP. Then you get to move AJ lower in the lineup where he'll be able to drive in more runs and be more effective. Then you get Kotchman over Konerko which at this point in both there careers I'd take in a second(he's much younger, a better hitter right now, and just entering his prime). This also give you a well balanced lineup of and right handed hitters.

R HR RBI SB AVG.

1. Figgins (S) 19 0 7 11 .306 (33 games)

2. OC ® 36 3 20 9 .253

3. Quentin ® 40 16 53 4 .290

4. Thome (L) 27 12 31 1 .209

5. Dye ® 31 10 24 0 .285

6. AJ (L) 25 4 23 1 .296

7. Crede ® 25 12 33 0 .286

8. Kothchman (L) 27 6 30 1 .312

9. Ramirez ® 14 3 12 2 .261

How good would that lineup look????? Then you look at the pitching staff which is already pretty damn good and you're adding what looks to be an ace in the making in Erving Santana to the mix. This ultimately means that Count or Gavin, who have been 2 of our best starters would have more then likely not been on the staff this year, probably Gavin in AAA for another year which probably woudnt have hurt him that much.

Now lets say Buehrle stinks it up all year and we decide to cut ties with him next year and count retires, that leaves us with this next year.

1. Vaz

2. Santana

3. Danks

4. Floyd

and remember now im saying this happens before the swish trade so we still have DLS and Gio (who are both doing horrible but thats besides the point lol)

5. Either Broadway, Whisler, Gio, Egbert, Haegar, or trading a couple of those pieces to get a proven pitcher

now i know the sox are winning and im not complaining about this team at all, this has just been in my head for awhile and im sitting here working overnight security at a fireworks stand so i need somethin to keep me up so i decided to do a little write up and get others opinions on how sexy this team would be.

P.S. Also tell me why you think this trade never happened, was there issue with who the sox wanted, a issue with who the halos wanted, or do you think it was just a BS rumor.

I apologize if i just wasted 5 minutes of your life but it was 30 minutes well spent on my part lol.

:gosoxretro:

To coin a phrase...the best trades are the ones you don't make.

I like the lineup we have now, especially with Ramirez playing 2b.....I would love it even more if the BAs of Thome, Konerko and Swisher were anywhere above .250 right now.

Edited by OilCan

a couple things.....i dont think we were ever that close at all to that trade and i think we were going to have to send another piece....i said this offseason i would have done kotchman for konerko straight up let alone with figgins and santana......that said i think that rumor was more rumor than it was fact...

also we just resigned buerhle long term....how and why would we cut ties with him at the end of the year? i suppose we could trade him...but as long as we are playing the game of trades that never happened....how about if we traded buerhle for cueto and votto like was rumored?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 10:48 PM)
Reddy I appreciate the response, let me repost this little section for you

"now i know the sox are winning and im not complaining about this team at all, this has just been in my head for awhile and im sitting here working overnight security at a fireworks stand so i need somethin to keep me up so i decided to do a little write up and get others opinions on how sexy this team would be."

also yes i agree it would be a ridiculous trade right now but in the offseason maybe not so much esp. before they got hunter, the angels wanna win and they wanna win now and if they would of picked up paulie in the offseason (when they thought he was gonna be another .270 hitter, hit 30-40 homers, and drive in 100 plus runs) they would have been ecstatic.

sorry for the gut-reaction-post. it just came right after an awesome win last night so i wasn't really into the whole "what if" thing last night. didn't mean to be a douche. sorry bud. :gosox3:

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
LOL, The Angels, also in 1st place, are giong to trade Figgins and Santana AND Kotchman for a 32 year old PK who is clearly declining?

GImme some of that good stuff!

well... it was supposed to be a retrospective thread... of course they wouldn't NOW.