6/9 - Sox vs. MIN, 1:05 CT, CSN,

knightni

How about you put on the pads and helmet, go behind that plate and umpire?

Ross ... it's not personal. The whole site knows you're an ump. We know umps will make mistakes, they are human. It happens. However, people are just pointing it out. Dreckman was in fact inconsistent earlier in the game.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cowch @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Who would have thought Swish would be carrying us in any game a week ago?

I don't necessarily know about carrying, but I never was particuarly concerned about Swish. And all the hand-wringing about how such a horrible acquisition he was had started getting on my nerves, so I'd skip over threads and whatnot. He'll be fine.

Yes, but this is about two broadcasters b****ing. I just needed to tell them how much they've been whining as of late, or for better measure, for this whole season.

I agree Harrelson takes it too far sometimes but DJ doesn't whine about the umps much, if at all.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
I have. And this umpire is still brutal.

Since you haven't played major league baseball, should we just tell you to never criticize anything a player does?

Okay, so he's missed a few calls. The strikes are close and that play at the plate we were lucky to have. As far as criticizing players, I don't do that. They got to the bigs and have accomplished some great feats on the field so I won't ever heckle a ball player.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Ross ... it's not personal. The whole site knows you're an ump. We know umps will make mistakes, they are human. It happens. However, people are just pointing it out. Dreckman was in fact inconsistent earlier in the game.

Everything is personal. Its why people get so impatient with him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
I don't necessarily know about carrying, but I never was particuarly concerned about Swish. And all the hand-wringing about how such a horrible acquisition he was had started getting on my nerves, so I'd skip over threads and whatnot. He'll be fine.

I'm with you, he's 27 and in the last two years has proved to be a good hitter. Someone posted a statistical article showing how a lot of his peripheral numbers were consistent and his BABIP was ridiculously low.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
Okay, so he's missed a few calls. The strikes are close and that play at the plate we were lucky to have. As far as criticizing players, I don't do that. They got to the bigs and have accomplished some great feats on the field so I won't ever heckle a ball player.

You shouldnt criticize the broadcasters then, they have accomplished alot and put alot of work into what they do as well. This ump has been inconsistent and people will point it out. Thats what you get when you choose not to play, but officiate. When he sees the report on his strike zone today, he should adjust and learn from it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)

Yeah I never gave up on him. But today he is responsible for 3/4 runs. Maybe he'll hit a third when he comes up again. :notworthy

Everything is personal. Its why people get so impatient with him.

Ahhh, he's a good kid. He has umped for a long time for such a young guy, but yeah, it's not a criticism of the entire profession. If they're inconsistent, they're inconsistent. It is what it is.

MLB Umpires are paid well to do their job, if they aren't doing a good job why shouldn't we be able to call them out. Part of taking a job that puts you on television and whatnot is that your going to be open to that. If anything, umpires and referees get to much of a free pass when they do a bad job

From Swish's blog:

So, just wait till you see what the fellas and I have come up with for Father’s Day and help the fight against prostrate cancer. I’m sure you will love it and know you will laugh until you are blue!

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
I agree Harrelson takes it too far sometimes but DJ doesn't whine about the umps much, if at all.

Well, Hawk complains and then he rubs off his b****ing off on DJ, which then makes DJ complain, that's all.

I don't know, people complain about professionals all the time. Yes, when people complain, either media or filing lawsuits, against professionals such as accountants, attorneys, doctors, etc. it involves peoples lives and their $$$. However, you put yourself in position to be at the top of your profession and make good money, IMO the public can complain if you don't live up to standards

Swisher has been streaky his whole career.... we cant expect what happened earlier this year to totally vanish

That said, for what we pay him, if his career OBP holds...i think he'll be welcome here a long time.

in an ideal world, it's not at CF past this year.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
i dont but it sounds familiar...was he the ref the bulls always complained about?

I believe it was Game 5 of the '94 Eastern semifinals against the Knicks, when the Bulls were up by one and he called a phantom foul against Pippen. That pretty much lost the Bulls the game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
You shouldnt criticize the broadcasters then, they have accomplished alot and put alot of work into what they do as well. This ump has been inconsistent and people will point it out. Thats what you get when you choose not to play, but officiate. When he sees the report on his strike zone today, he should adjust and learn from it.

Don't give me that.

"I couldn't see well enough to play when I was a boy, so they gave me a special job - they made me an umpire."

Thanks President Truman.