6/9 - Sox vs. MIN, 1:05 CT, CSN,

knightni

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
One of them is Contreras, I know... but the reason I ask that is because I'm a little surprised there's not been more All-Star buzz about him. It's not like he came otu of nowhere - he was a first round pick, after all.

unfortunately people tend to look at w-l when it comes to all-star

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Not wrong at all. It just depends on whether you count the "unqualified" pitchers or not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitchi...d=a&pos=all

Why would you count the unqualified?

He's 5th in ERA for qualified SP's in the AL, and Jose is 4th. Period.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
One of them is Contreras, I know... but the reason I ask that is because I'm a little surprised there's not been more All-Star buzz about him. It's not like he came otu of nowhere - he was a first round pick, after all.

Actually, right now, JD and JC have pretty close to identical ERA's. A scoreless 4th and Danks passes Jose I think.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
unfortunately people tend to look at w-l when it comes to all-star

Which pisses me off. A W-L record tells you NOTHING about a pitcher's individual performance during a season. Personally the first thing I look at is ERA, it doesn't tell you everything but as a stat it probably tells you the most by itself. When I'm judging who I pick for the All-Star game I don't even look at W-L record.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Which pisses me off. A W-L record tells you NOTHING about a pitcher's individual performance during a season. Personally the first thing I look at is ERA, it doesn't tell you everything but as a stat it probably tells you the most by itself. When I'm judging who I pick for the All-Star game I don't even look at W-L record.

ERA+ is also good since it's league and ballpark adjusted

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
ERA+ is also good since it's league and ballpark adjusted

WHIP is also very telling, and is probably the most meaningful stat for a reliever.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
first thing you should look at is WHIP when evaluating a pitcher

Mabye when eveluating how dominating a pitcher has been. But the goal is still to not allow the opposing team to score, making era more important, imo.

EDIT: I should say for a starter, relief pitchers are a whole different story.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
WHIP is also very telling, and is probably the most meaningful stat for a reliever.

Agreed, I wish there was a reliable stat for inherited runners allowed to score. It would make me so mad last year when Bukvich would come in last year, allow the runner on 2nd and 3rd to score on the first pitch, then allow no earned runs of his own so he's got something like a 3.63 ERA by the time he's done... ugh.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
first thing you should look at is WHIP when evaluating a pitcher

Not necessarily - some pitchers are very good at inducing DPs, or otherwise just keeping the lineup out of any meaningful rhythm. So you have to look at ERA and WHIP both.