Greatest manager of all time

witesoxfan

Earl Weaver.

He was all about sabermetrics before it was cool, man.

(But seriously, Weaver was damn good judging by what I've read...as I'm obviously not old enough to remember him in action)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
Much as I despise him personally, I think Tony LaRussa has to be in this discussion. Very few have been able to do more with less.

Less than guys like Albert Pujols, Chris Carpenter, Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Dennis Eckersley, Rickey Henderson, Dave Stewart?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
lol. the guy has managed over 30 years.......

Very true...but if you're going to give him credit for doing "More with less", I think that it's a valid point that when he's done the most, he's had some of the best, most juiced up players in history.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Very true...but if you're going to give him credit for doing "More with less", I think that it's a valid point that when he's done the most, he's had some of the best, most juiced up players in history.

Over his career, sure, he's had some greats. But looking at his TEAMS, up and down, I think he's among the best modern managers in taking teams beyond what they seemed capable of.

Before it's all said and done, Bobby Cox's name should be brought into the discussion.

I don't care how good their scouting supposedly is.

14 first place finishes in 15 years is unbelievable.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)

I give LaRussa a ton of credit for thinking outside the box and hiring a former catcher as his pitching coach in Dave Duncan. Dave Stewart and Dennis Eckersley wouldn't be who they were without LaRussa.

I'm not sure if it's fair, but I eliminate Yankee managers from this list because of how much talent they always had. Any idiot could manage that team throughout the vast majority of their history IMO.

However, I can't just pick one. If I had to make a short list though, it'd include Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa, John McGraw, Sparky Anderson, and Walter Alston.

Edited by whitesoxfan101