Danks brothers drop Boras

Steve9347

link

Danks brothers switch agents

By Mark Gonzales, 2:30 p.m.

John and Jordan Danks have switched representatives, two sources confirmed.

The elder Danks declined to confirm before Monday's game, but a source said over the weekend that the Danks family elected to have another family adviser represent Jordan Danks, the Sox's seventh-round pick in last week's amateur draft.

John and Jordan Danks were previously represented by Scott Boras. Their new representative is Jeff Berry, the agent for Mark Buehrle and Josh Fields. John switched agents around the time Jordan was drafted Friday.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really really good, because they obviously did this for the White Sox. Jordan comes out of slot and will still get paid, but be easier to deal with... Now getting him in the 7th looks like a HUGE steal.

Obviously, if John keeps pitching like he has, at least we won't have a huge issue growing where we worry about signing him long term.

My guess is that the Danks family dropped a hint that John Dankes was considering changing agents.

It seems to much like a coincidence that he kept Boras for the draft (where it would hurt his draft stock) to then drop him the next day (when you would get the benefit of Boras negotiation).

It almost seems like they purposefully hurt Jordan's draft position.

Or

After not getting drafted in the first day the Danks family realized that no one wanted to deal with Boras, told some people in the Sox organization that they were tired with Boras representation and the Sox drafted him knowing that he wanted to get a contract signed.

I dunno, from a player's standpoint this doesn't really make sense. If there is one thing you're absolutely sure about with Boras it's that you'll be rolling in cash. Granted, it's not all about the cash with some players but still. I guess the Danks Bros. are pretty confident in themselves.

My guess is that the Danks family dropped a hint that John Dankes was considering changing agents.

It seems to much like a coincidence that he kept Boras for the draft (where it would hurt his draft stock) to then drop him the next day (when you would get the benefit of Boras negotiation).

It almost seems like they purposefully hurt Jordan's draft position.

Or

After not getting drafted in the first day the Danks family realized that no one wanted to deal with Boras, told some people in the Sox organization that they were tired with Boras representation and the Sox drafted him knowing that he wanted to get a contract signed.

The whole thing is interesting.

You'd have to believe Jordan Danks and the Danks family isn't happy about Jordan lasting until the 7th round. He was still rated very highly going into the draft, in the top 100. Granted he may not be the hot prospect he was coming out of high school but he's still done reasonably well with the Longhorns.

The fact he dropped to the 7th round reeks of Boras. A poster here said Baseball America people were told that Boras told all the teams that Jordan Danks would sign only for 1st round money.

My belief is that Jordan wants to turn pro and get going. He will likely get more than 7th round money due to the circumstances and this new agent isn't a pushover either. However I expect nothing acrimonious and we should see Jordan in the system, probably playing for Great Falls at some point.

I hope people aren't expecting a superstar though. He has some holes in his game he'll need to fix, not unlike most prospects. Regardless, this is good news and it will be good to get an athlete of his caliber into the organization.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
It could be very seriously argued that Boras cost Jordan a ton of money last week. The reason the Sox snagged him so late was due to signability issues fueled by Scott...

Yeah, I agree. John articulated how the family was really disappointed that Jordan dropped so far, and after the Sox drafted him, they probably told John and the rest of the family exactly what Boras was telling teams'. I'll bet that was the straw that broke the camel's back. John probably talked to Mark about the situation and Mark set them both up with his agent.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
It could be very seriously argued that Boras cost Jordan a ton of money last week. The reason the Sox snagged him so late was due to signability issues fueled by Scott...

Very good point...

...even if they have to pay him more than his draft status is worth this could be a win/win situation for the Sox and both Danks Bros.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
Would that really be tampering? I thought that teams talk with players about signability all the time.

If you have an agent, I'm pretty sure the team can't talk to the player about contract matters without including the agent (or at least getting the agent's okay). That issue came up with ARod's contract, and I don't see why it'd be any different for an amateur player. I guess they could have told Jordan that they'd sign him if he dumped Boras, as long as they cc'd Boras, but I don't think they want to poison that well, even if they don't drink from it that often.