Danks brothers drop Boras

Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Sign the younger one now.

Extend the elder one now.

I'm not joking on the latter part.

Yep agreed! Great news. Work out an extension with John where he gets some money up front and security in exchange for an extra year before free agency. Whatever works as a win win. This has to be an indication that Jordan is at least interested in signing. How about Crede next!

Edited by 103 mph screwball

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
No joke. Crede could talk with A Rod and Gary Sheffield for that matter. I believe they all dumped Borass too.

best example is Kenny Rogers dropping him and doing his own extension with the Tigers this past off-season

this is great for the Sox though, I love the potential of Jordan Danks and John is a stud already

Edited by JFields27

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
This is really really good, because they obviously did this for the White Sox. Jordan comes out of slot and will still get paid, but be easier to deal with... Now getting him in the 7th looks like a HUGE steal.

Obviously, if John keeps pitching like he has, at least we won't have a huge issue growing where we worry about signing him long term.

In this day and age they do things for themselves and not for the team- I mean talking money and their financial security that is

This is fantastic news, as they've gone from an agent that we can't deal with to our favorite agent. I heard a nugget from Baseball America today that anytime a team drafts a player with their first pick on the 2nd day of the draft, and that player was supposed to be a high pick in the draft, it almost always means they've negotiated and know a deal can be reached.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
The whole thing is interesting.

You'd have to believe Jordan Danks and the Danks family isn't happy about Jordan lasting until the 7th round. He was still rated very highly going into the draft, in the top 100. Granted he may not be the hot prospect he was coming out of high school but he's still done reasonably well with the Longhorns.

The fact he dropped to the 7th round reeks of Boras. A poster here said Baseball America people were told that Boras told all the teams that Jordan Danks would sign only for 1st round money.

My belief is that Jordan wants to turn pro and get going. He will likely get more than 7th round money due to the circumstances and this new agent isn't a pushover either. However I expect nothing acrimonious and we should see Jordan in the system, probably playing for Great Falls at some point.

I hope people aren't expecting a superstar though. He has some holes in his game he'll need to fix, not unlike most prospects. Regardless, this is good news and it will be good to get an athlete of his caliber into the organization.

I think its great news, and I am not joking here, but I have heard some clamor from bar talk people that Crede is about to do the same. Again just people talking who claim they have some knowledge.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
I think its great news, and I am not joking here, but I have heard some clamor from bar talk people that Crede is about to do the same. Again just people talking who claim they have some knowledge.

After the winning streak and whipping the Twins, The Danks news, and now this... consider my jeans creamed in.

Thats gotta feel awesome for Berry, whom I think only represented MB? (correct me if im wrong).

To go from 1 big time client to three pretty clients in-line for some nice dough? Not Bad. Taking them away from Boras? Priceless.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)

bar talk people? you mean drunks?

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 12:26 AM)
Thats gotta feel awesome for Berry, whom I think only represented MB? (correct me if im wrong).

To go from 1 big time client to three pretty clients in-line for some nice dough? Not Bad. Taking them away from Boras? Priceless.

Fields too.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
bar talk people? you mean drunks?

Thats why popular told me not to post, but I thought it was a good segway. For full disclosure Popular has this information but we do not know if the sources are reliable. I am not starting anything, I just thought it was a good segway. Nothing to believe, unless of course it is true!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 01:25 AM)
Those were pretty ridiculous. Even the loss that week was insane.

the loss that week was the Iguchi 3 run and grand slam to tie it up at 9 no? Man that sucked to lose but wow that was insane.

I can't believe this, everything seems to be going our way. After a frustrating run in first place, it's nice to just have a breeze of a week to go nuts.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
It could be very seriously argued that Boras cost Jordan a ton of money last week. The reason the Sox snagged him so late was due to signability issues fueled by Scott...

Good to see the rest of baseball is waking up to what a clown Boras is. I think the JD Drew incident woke up the remaining mentally slow execs as to what kind of person he is. The A-Rod was a lot more publicized and certainly didnt' help.

Good to se that as salaries continue to increase, teams are less likely to play the games Boras does.

Bob

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)

If Crede drops Boras, Ill change my member name ... haha :unsure:

Thats why popular told me not to post, but I thought it was a good segway. For full disclosure Popular has this information but we do not know if the sources are reliable. I am not starting anything, I just thought it was a good segway. Nothing to believe, unless of course it is true!

I didn't want to post it because I am not sure (whatsoever) that the source is reliable. Repeating, I can not vouch for the source.

All I do know is the man I heard it from deals with Chicago pro athletes frequently. I know that to be true because I checked up on his credentials (what he told me he did for a living, who he works for, etc.) And I did hear it in a restaurant/bar which is why Quick used that phrase. I shared it with quickman as a "take this for what it's worth, here's what I heard" ... but again I did not post it because I have no idea if it's reliable. I try very hard to only post things I know are true or from very reliable sources.

I will admit to being highly surprised/doubtful when I was told as it seems highly unlikely at this stage of the game. As such, I asked (almost interrogated) the guy to see if he knew his stuff about the Sox on several different levels. He passed the smell test but again, I can not and do not vouch for the information. It may be true and it may be BS. It came up when we were chatting watching the game. Crede hit a home run Sat. night and I said "the only guy more happy than Crede about that HR is Scott Boras" and the guy immediately came back with "not any more, Crede quietly dropped Boras a few weeks ago and is finalizing an agreement with an Arizona based firm for representation."

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)

I don't have any inside info, but I can see Crede staying.

1. The Sox can afford his raise by letting Cabrera and Uribe walk and having the young infield of Ramirez at short and Richar at 2nd.

2. Fields, Ramirez, Richar would be pretty young with at least 2 question marks.

3. Crede has demonstrated health, will still have some prime years, and is extremely unlikely to be a product of performance enhancement.

4. Defense has value to an organization that values pitching.

5. Crede seems to be a good clubhouse guy from what I've heard and read.

6. He's hitting pretty well. Good health may cut down on those epic slumps of the past.

7. Crede has said that he wants to stay and certainly knows the Boras controversy.

8. He's clutch. Freakishly clutch.

9. Sox should have continued payroll stability if attendance continues to improve with better weather and a team 6.5 games in first.

10. The fans like him and it would be a nice PR move similar to the Pauly and Mark signings.

11. Hopefully the Sox will have the 2008 Championship to defend.

12. Fields would have nice trade value to fill another need and his talk of quitting due to the clubhouse is not a huge issue but is noteworthy.

13. Sox drafted a 3b in the 3rd round of this years draft.

14. They have said that there will be no negotiations during the year. Just like Mark and JD. I'm sure KW would listen especially if Boras was out of the picture.

15. The Danks Family fired him for a reason. Joe and John are bound to talk a little.

16. I have a gut feeling.

I'm sure the Sox will pay Jordan Danks better than 7th round money but he will not pull Reinsdorf's gold fillings with pliers the way Boras would have. I'm sure the Sox had an idea what it would take before he was drafted and it would be a good idea to threat John's little brother fairly. Jordan is a nice prospect, but John Danks has proven himself and less than 2 years ago he was in AA. We have not even seen his full potential.