Trade deadline

Lemon_44

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
Unless we're willing to trade Q, Danks, or Floyd, there really isn't going to be anything big that the Sox can do this year.

If the Sox can't win with their current roster, they need to blow it up this winter and start over. Outside of lacking a true base-stealing leadoff hitter, there's no significant need anywhere.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
I dont really want to see anymore posts suggesting trading Floyd or Danks. Those guys are about as untouchable as it gets at this point.

Okay. I will knock it off. :D

I really do not think trading such young SP is wise either. However, I must say it is amazing to see what a difference a year makes with the increase in Floyd support here at ST. I hope he continues to build more momentum as September and October roll around.

On another non-trade note, is it a coincidence that the lineup is putting up a more consistent attack with Konerko sidelined? I suppose I should wait to see how they do v. the Cubs and Dodgers before saying there is any correlation.

From a story on Yahoo!

Not three months into the schedule, the Rockies are fielding inquiries about left fielder Matt Holliday, the Indians about C.C. Sabathia, the Pittsburgh Pirates about Jason Bay and Xavier Nady and the Mariners – eventually – about anything that isn’t bolted to the clubhouse floor, including, possibly, Erik Bedard. Cincinnati Reds general manager Walt Jocketty is expected to make Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn available, and Ben Sheets could come free in Milwaukee, as could Greg Maddux, Brian Giles and Randy Wolf in San Die

I would like to look at bay and nady as well for the right price. I know we have had the bay rumor before, but he has been a good player again this year.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
From a story on Yahoo!

I would like to look at bay and nady as well for the right price. I know we have had the bay rumor before, but he has been a good player again this year.

A flooded market would be key for the Sox, because it would push the prices of these players down. Hopefully this is true.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
A flooded market would be key for the Sox, because it would push the prices of these players down. Hopefully this is true.

Who out of that list actually makes us a significantly better team? A lot of the guys are OF's, which means we'd be replacing either Q, Dye, or Swisher, unless Konerko is out longer than the AS break for some reason. The other guys are starting pitchers, and quite frankly, there's no guy in our rotation right now I have any interest in replacing.

Time to float a crazy idea....ichiro? (not sure if this one's been mentioned yet)

Think he's virtually untouchable due to the marketability he provides for the Marniers, but if they wanted to REALLY blow that team up and start over you'd think his name would be mentioned, right?

He'd warrant a King's Ransom, but he'd certainly be worth it.

/endpipedream

QUOTE (Fotop @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Time to float a crazy idea....ichiro? (not sure if this one's been mentioned yet)

Think he's virtually untouchable due to the marketability he provides for the Marniers, but if they wanted to REALLY blow that team up and start over you'd think his name would be mentioned, right?

/endpipedream

Unless Ichiro actually does become available(which I doubt), I'm perfectly happy going with what we have.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)

/endpipedream

We have been pipedreaming about this in the Bavasi thread since McLaren was fired this morning :)

I have a very good business friend of mine who is a partial owner of the seattle mariners. He recently retired from Microsoft and is now the president of the Gates foundation. That said, I have been informed on several occasions that ichiro is a lifer in seattle. He will not be traded nor does he want to be traded. He has roots and extended family in seattle. Now that said things may change, but from my information ichiro stays in seattle.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
I have a very good business friend of mine who is a partial owner of the seattle mariners. He recently retired from Microsoft and is now the president of the Gates foundation. That said, I have been informed on several occasions that ichiro is a lifer in seattle. He will not be traded nor does he want to be traded. He has roots and extended family in seattle. Now that said things may change, but from my information ichiro stays in seattle.

friends of mine in the organization say the same thing. As long as he wants to be there he is the face of the organization.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
Can we deal someone for a young catcher with a good arm hopefully hit in the .250s would be fine, I am tired of runners stealing bases at will. If we don't want to lose AJs bat play him at first.

I'd love to possibly get Bryan Anderson from St. Louis. He doesn't have a cannon, but he is very good defensively and his arm is better than AJ's. He could be moved due to Molina blocking him.

Or another possibility is Teagarden from Texas. They have two other very good young catchers in Salty (possibly moved to 1B) and Max Ramirez. I'd imagine one of the three would be on the move. Of those 3, Teagarden probably has the least offensive potential, but is a stud behind the plate.

About the only realistic spot in the lineup the Sox can upgrade is at 2b. Alexei may come back down to earth, and getting a vet there makes sense. Esp. if the sox think Alexei can play fulltime SS in 2009. The Brian Roberts price tag would likely be astronomical. Not sure what else is there besides a Durham. I think the drop off in defense with Durham wouldn't make up for the increase in offense.

I still think Richar could become a .800 OPS guy in the future though at 2B.

The Sox need to decide whether or not they can go through some more lumps with him if they make him a starter from 2009 onwards.

Durham I don't know if you can depend on him much in the upcoming years, while Roberts is going to cost quite a bit.

The best cost effective solution may be in the organization still.