Mariotti hides behind his editors, as other ST writers slam him

southsider2k5

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
He's perhaps the worst sports journalist in America, but he sells papers, and a desperate gutter publication like the Sun-Times will keep him as long as that remains the case, regardless of the fact that almost EVERYBODY hates him. That has been the story in a nutshell for years now.

HOw do we know that HE sells papers? Is there anyone that actually buys the paper BECAUSE of Jay? When he has his 'vacation' a while back, did readership decline? We get the SunTimes here at work, but only because the Trib is a pain in the ass to read format-wise. I disagree that he is actually a seller of papers, and that if he were to leave, the gains would be more than offset by the few minions who would follow him elsewhere. And if he takes Slezak with him, it would be a bonus!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
HOw do we know that HE sells papers? Is there anyone that actually buys the paper BECAUSE of Jay? When he has his 'vacation' a while back, did readership decline? We get the SunTimes here at work, but only because the Trib is a pain in the ass to read format-wise. I disagree that he is actually a seller of papers, and that if he were to leave, the gains would be more than offset by the few minions who would follow him elsewhere. And if he takes Slezak with him, it would be a bonus!

The thing is he is on Around the Horn everyday. And you know what sign is behind him?The Chicago Suntimes,the guy gets face time on a highly watched national sports talk show which in turn is free advertising for them and I dont think they would give that up.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)

That is like rule 1 of journalism. Controversy sells papers/gets ratings, manufactured or otherwise. Just about everybody hates Mariotti, but everybody sho'nuff still reads his articles and talks about them and how much they hate him. Personally whenever somebody posts some trash he writes I scroll over it or avoid the thread unless it's a thread ripping on him. He is basically the media's equivalent of a troll, and he's good at what he does.

OK, but big deal, we talk about Jay, but still, does anybody buy the paper because of Jay? I know the 'controversy sells' mantra, but does that really hold true? I don't think people in Boston are rushing out to buy the Sun Times, so the national part of the exposure is kind of wasted. They probably laugh at Chicago for having this dickwad 'represent' us. And I have only seen that show a few times, and each time I did, he came off as a bigger dofus than he does in print, so I can't see how that helps. I don't read his articles anymore, what I get now I get from these posts here. And even that is too much.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
That is like rule 1 of journalism. Controversy sells papers/gets ratings, manufactured or otherwise. Just about everybody hates Mariotti, but everybody sho'nuff still reads his articles and talks about them and how much they hate him. Personally whenever somebody posts some trash he writes I scroll over it or avoid the thread unless it's a thread ripping on him. He is basically the media's equivalent of a troll, and he's good at what he does.

I think that is true, up to a limit point. A good parallel example is Scott Boras and sports agents. Ideally, as an athlete, you want the best agent possible, and don't care if he's a jerk. Similarly, the Sun Times just wants to sell papers, and if Mariotti does, that great.

BUT, in both cases, if the agent or writer is SO over the top obnoxious that it repels clients (or readers), then the utility goes down quickly. I think Mariotti may be reaching that point - the point where readers start defecting to other papers, and start turning off Around the Horn, because of his presence. At that point, he'll be shown the door.

Alpha I don't know how many people buy the papers because of Mariotti (it doesn't exactly work like that though, it's more just getting publicity and having your name out there), but I can tell you, like NSS was getting at, that I don't buy the paper because of Mariotti, and I don't watch ATH either. I used to read it every day faithfully when I lived in Chicago. Now I ignore it entirely, and read the Trib when I can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
So, I'm one of the left-leaning homo abortion pot and commie people here, and when I was in the Chicago Area, I always subscribed to the Tribune. Didn't really care about the bias, but it was just a vastly better paper.

The better paper is the one that shows more viewpoints and isn't in the tank for one side. The Sun-Times is just a really s***ty paper. You might be on the left, but I'm pretty sure you're not a moron who wants to read about how much the Sun-Times loves Obama, etc.

Does the Tribune have it's biases? Of course, but it's not in the tank for either side, and their writers and editors are leaps and bounds better than the ones at the Sun-Times.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
The better paper is the one that shows more viewpoints and isn't in the tank for one side.

Or at least the one that doesn't feature obnoxious, over-the-top retards who use their columns as vehicles to attack their enemies, rather than to logically discuss sports.

Telander needs to get the heck out of there.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
His hatred for Ozzie and Jerry knows no bounds. Even even blames the Bulls coaching-search problems on Ozzie.

From June 7:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/99...T-jay07.article

That is one of the most shameful bits of sportswriting in the history of sportswriting. That guy's awful.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Anyone watching AROUND THE HORN on ESPN?

They were discussing Bulls and Vinny Del Negro, all of a sudden Mariotti says something about not ripping on the team too much, because Chicago writers might get mad, or something along those lines.

I don't think he gets it at all. Its not about being negative. Sam Smith was one of the most negative writers you would ever see, hell he was always trying to trade everyone. But the guy had a mind for his sport, and he didn't contradict himself from minute to minute. Its called intregity.

How has this been covered on the local sports radio in Chicago?

I would think that even with the Sox having the largest lead of any first place team in the MLB, the Cubbies being in first, the Bulls finally getting a coach and holding the #1 pick in the draft, the Blackhawks about to have the NHL rookie of the year, Benson getting his DUI and then cut, and with the Olympics placing Chicago in the final 4, this still would be a hot topic. Have any of the beat writers been on the airwaves to comment this article?

Edited by JoeBatterz

This is awesome: "The same critics who avoid ever stepping into the White Sox's clubhouse are calling the Chicago media soft for not skewering manager Ozzie Guillen. They want Guillen fired yesterday. Sounds tough, but the rhetoric comes up a little, well, soft."

Jay in a nutshell right there.

Just about everybody hates Mariotti, but everybody sho'nuff still reads his articles and talks about them and how much they hate him.

I skim 'em, don't read 'em.

They are too predictable.

He's a good writer but his opinions are boring and repetitive, especially columns on the Sox.

I think he thinks he's bold and brash, but anybody with a brain realizes he writes the same

stuff over and over.

For instance, I'd be interested in reading his take on the 7-0 homestand. But he's not talented enough to pick a column out of that.

He'll just wait for the next slump or Oz rant.

His topics in his bag of tricks:

Sox: Bash Oz; Bash Reinsdork; Bash Kenny for makeup of team; when break approaches write column about how Griffey is needed, must sign Griffey or Roberts; when no trade is made, rip the fact Sox don't have enough to win; if we lead in September, write about how the choke would be one of biggest in Sox history.

Cubs: Wood is not the answer at closer; Soriano is not good enough; Lou is great; Cuban is needed.

Bulls: Reinsdork must sell team; Paxson is handicapped by working for Reinsdork; Bulls fans deserve better.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)

As a person majoring in journalism, I approve of the accuracy of this post. Jay Mariotti is the worst journalist you will ever find, however he's not dumb. He knows by being a total idiot, he will get attention and get his website hits and get people to read the sports section. He's very good at what he does, however he never has or will get respect for it. Jay has sold his soul (and integrity) to the devil in the name of the green paper, and I give him credit for doing it very well, but he's still a douchebag with no class.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

He knows by being a total idiot, he will get attention and get his website hits and get people to read the sports section. Jay has sold his soul (and integrity) to the devil in the name of the green paper, and I give him credit for doing it very well, but he's still a douchebag with no class.

Disagree with some of your post. He does not try to be a total idiot. He's not that clueless. He's writing what he thinks are good columns. He has talent in terms of writing. He's very clever with his puns on names, etc. He's not trying to be an idiot to get attention IMO.

ALso I don't think he's sold his soul. He obviously does truly hate Oz and Reinsdorf.

I would agree he has no class.

And his topics for columns are out of Columnist 101 (first team QB sucks, play the backup; rip on the manager; rip on the coach; rip on the owner; very stereotypical).

I think both papers are great however for sports.

Love to read Couch and the Sox beat writers in both papers. Like the Trib columnists very much as well.

Great h.school coverage in both papers.

Chicago is fortunate to have good sports sections IMO.