Swish and OC

greg775

Wouldn't it be something if Swish and Cabrera are just getting started and are about to hit the s***

out of the ball the rest of the summer?

I will be the first to admit I was hating on both of them and even wanted Swish benched or merely released.

It's "be honest" time.

Did any of you, like me, want them off the team?

Were any of you totally critical of the two?

Congrats to both of them for not quitting.

Amazing plate appearances by both of late.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 12:42 AM)
Wouldn't it be something if Swish and Cabrera are just getting started and are about to hit the s***

out of the ball the rest of the summer?

I will be the first to admit I was hating on both of them and even wanted Swish benched or merely released.

It's "be honest" time.

Did any of you, like me, want them off the team?

Were any of you totally critical of the two?

Congrats to both of them for not quitting.

Amazing plate appearances by both of late.

Ummm, no. I've defended both for the most part. I recall saying Cabrera would get hot when the weather improved. As for Swish, I didn't comment much when he struggled, but it was pretty evident he was really unlucky and caught in between sometimes. You wanted him to be released? My God.

I was critical of both of them but to want either to be outright released even during their low points is definitely over-reacting. I did have a feeling Swisher would turn it around and was pretty silent on him but Cabrera I have to admit was frustrating until relatively recently. The saving grace for both of them is they were able to get on base via walk still fairly often, especially swisher.

I think as long as a player struggles he will be under constant criticism from the fan base. Thats part of the game.

Let's say Swish wasn't too hot with his .200 average but a lot of us on the board liked the trade and know what this kid is capable of, they are hitting right now and as long as they continue to do so be it.

Good for you Soxfan1.

I just wanted some honest reactions.

Yes I wanted Swish gone.

His ohfers I felt were pivotal in the team's horrid offensive performance.

I wanted BA to take over.

Now I feel otherwise. I hope Swish and OC can keep it up.

I'll say this -- I wanted them gone, yet I didn't. Why aren't we questioning the play of Konerko and Thome in this thread? The answer is simple really -- they have proven that they are capable of producing in White Sox uniforms. We've seen them be consistent with us in the past. But with OC and Swisher, we haven't. We know they're talented and capable, but have never seen them do well up until recently in White Sox uniforms. I think it was just a matter of proof that they can produce with us. Can you understand what I've just said?

I agree that in a forum like this....or any type of fan base you will always get constant scrutiny. Thats what we as fans get to do. We have addressed just about everyone this year 63 games into it. We've bashed on Swish, OC, Alexi, AJ, Thome, PK, JD. And of course, Mr. Uribe! The only two who have gotten a pass are Crede and Q. I wonder how soon people start turning on Q if he goes into a dry spell like he has the last few games.

I wanted both of them to move down the order, have more days off, etc while they were struggling mightily, but no I never wanted them off the team. The only ones I've wanted to see have an extended time away from the lineup are Uribe for the last month or so, and Alexei at the start, just because who'da thought he'd get a grasp on major league hitting so fast? I thought he would have benefited much more with time in Charlotte.

Thats why I'm a Network Engineer, and Kenny and Ozzie are making the baseball decisions.

No, I honestly can say I never wanted them "off the team" and I was never that worried about either of them. I thought Cabrera was a downgrade from Uribe defensively, and his whole whining about the error when he's gotten some pretty favorable scoring all year rubbed me the wrong way, but I was never worried about his slow start. I was never really worried about Swisher either, it was frustrating to watch, but the guy has a track record and he's only 27. People on this board were going way overboard with it and quite frankly it started getting annoying, there were times when I just hit the X and let the panic-fests run their courses for a while.

I certainly never wanted either one traded or released at their lowest value. There was too much of a track record to think they'd both completely forgotten how to hit the ball.

I did want Swish benched for awhile, but that's the extent of my insanity.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 06:10 AM)
No, I honestly can say I never wanted them "off the team" and I was never that worried about either of them. I thought Cabrera was a downgrade from Uribe defensively, and his whole whining about the error when he's gotten some pretty favorable scoring all year rubbed me the wrong way, but I was never worried about his slow start. I was never really worried about Swisher either, it was frustrating to watch, but the guy has a track record and he's only 27. People on this board were going way overboard with it and quite frankly it started getting annoying, there were times when I just hit the X and let the panic-fests run their courses for a while.

A bit of advice, it has happened here since day one!

I wanted Swisher to sit for an extended period of time, and had been pretty pissed at Ocab. At least Swisher had appeared to be trying, but from what I could see on TV, Ocab didn't appear to be hustling all that much, to me. I want effort, and results. I saw the effort in Swish, but didn't see it in Ocab, until the last few weeks. Now we are starting to see some results! Hopefully warmer weather brings out the best in those two, and that's all it was. I would hate to think that a professional was doggin' it for the first 2 months.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
Swish has sucked for the majority of the season so Iam not going to get to excited right now.This might just be one of those Uribe like hot streaks and when its done it gets real bad again.

Juan Uribe has a history of being a horrible offensive player. Nick Swisher does not.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
That's impressive that some here would come clean about wanting to CUT swisher.

i mean, had you never seen his career #s?

Based on his past numbers, you knew he would come around. He had been extremely unlucky, and probably had some problems when he was moved into leadoff, which further entrenched him in a slump. I never thought about cutting him, but giving him a couple of days off wouldn't have hurt.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Based on his past numbers, you knew he would come around. He had been extremely unlucky, and probably had some problems when he was moved into leadoff, which further entrenched him in a slump. I never thought about cutting him, but giving him a couple of days off wouldn't have hurt.

LOL @ anyone who suggested the Sox DFA Swisher. Yea, cause 27 year old outfielders with career OPS+ above 110 with reasonable contracts are easy to find. All of his underlying stats were fine, he was just getting unlucky. Swisher is never going to be a high average guy but he can still easily finish with his typical 265/365/450 line. With his average CF defense that's a good and useful player.

After homering from both sides of the plate in Monday’s dramatic comeback against the dreaded Twins, Swisher was attributing his recent success to hitting coach Greg Walker’s instruction and infusion of confidence, along with Swisher's own hard work.

"Also," Swisher said, "I started wearing Toby Hall's pants."