Signings from the 2008 Draft

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 02:05 AM)
Is it odd that Lee Fischer, our 46th round pick, was assigned to Kanny?

Yes, but he's terrible. They probably are just using him as a utility infielder. He's mostly solid on d. Maybe the I's needed another IF.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,4910552.story

White Sox's negotiations slow with Jordan Danks

But father hopeful deal will get done

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

11:15 PM CDT, June 18, 2008

Negotiations between the White Sox and John Danks' younger brother Jordan could last deep into the summer, but their father is hopeful an agreement can be reached before the Aug. 15 deadline.

"We won't know what's going to happen for a while," John B. Danks said Tuesday. "But Jordan is very excited to be drafted again by the White Sox.

"We've received nothing but positive feelings from [scout] Keith Staab."

The younger Danks, an outfielder who completed his junior year at the University of Texas, was the seventh-round pick of the Sox and is expected to get a bonus higher than the recommended slot money.

Danks is playing for the Beatrice (Neb.) Bruins of the MINK League, a collegiate summer league that uses wood bats. Danks played for the Bruins after his freshman year before playing for Team USA last summer.

The Sox have signed 19 players from the 2008 draft.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 03:23 AM)
Yes, but he's terrible. They probably are just using him as a utility infielder. He's mostly solid on d. Maybe the I's needed another IF.

Now, you know saying he's terrible is just you being nice because he's from Mizzou :) Whatever is below terrible in the dictionary and then below that, I would use to describe Fischer.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Kenny Williams Jr.- $150,000

It must be nice to get 150,000 K because of Daddy! This burns my ass how we wasted this selection!

Didn't Kenny say he didn't want to draft his son, but the staff wanted to instead?

Of course that is probably a major form of butt kissing.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
Didn't Kenny say he didn't want to draft his son, but the staff wanted to instead?

Of course that is probably a major form of butt kissing.

He's doing well through 3 games in Great Falls. Not that three games is a lot, but yeah. Maybe he'll end up looking like a steal. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Cowch @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
He's doing well through 3 games in Great Falls. Not that three games is a lot, but yeah. Maybe he'll end up looking like a steal. :lolhitting

the only part i think is accurate about this is the :lolhitting

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
I like how everyone is shutting the door on the KW2 pick already. Pretty funny, seeing as how Dad was a good major league prospect.

You don't understand. Anyone related to any of the coaches/personnel with the Sox has to suck. There's no other choice.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
I like how everyone is shutting the door on the KW2 pick already. Pretty funny, seeing as how Dad was a good major league prospect.

I watched a little of his college games, there is some talent there no doubt. I do not think he has the projectable talent to be a everyday major leaguer, but he's definitely not a stiff.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)

I'm not dismissing him, he could be a good player, nobody actually knows. My problem with it is they could have waited another 10 rounds (maybe more) and still easily gotten him.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
Just ask Oney Guillen. He's made sure of that.

What about his other son, Ozney. I read somewhere Kenny said he could be a 1st rounder out of high school but I wasn't sure if it was a tongue-in-cheek comment or a serious one.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
I take it he won't be signing.

Think about it...

Sign as a 20-something round draft pick or spend a year (or two) on scholarship to Florida State and hope you go higher.

On top of that... assume you have rich parents.

Minor league buses in the Carolinas... or suntanned sorority girls and the chance to be a stud-athlete on campus?

Tough decision for an 18 year old?

Edited by scenario