Sox hitters need more regular rest

VAfan

On a couple of threads now, I've floated the idea of bringing up Josh Fields. I still think it's a good idea. He's not tearing up AAA, but he's hitting fine down there. Slugging .497. OPS at .834. Whatever ailment he had, it seems behind him, as he's played regularly the last 10 games.

What Fields' presence would allow for that the Sox don't do very well is to rest guys regularly. Here are 4 guys that could benefit if Fields were brought up.

1. Konerko (32) -- bad thumb. If he's not going on the DL, he needs to sit 1-2x a week to rest it.

2. Thome (37) -- should sit against lefties. His 3-year OPS against lefties is .669; righties 1.101. (Yes, he's hitting lefties better this year, for the first time ever. Don't expect it to hold. If it does, then sit him against some righties.)

3. Crede (30) -- back issues. After day off last week, went on a tear for several days, then didn't hit the last 2-3. Should sit at least 1x/week regularly.

4. Dye (34) -- not getting any younger.

Between Brian Anderson and Josh Fields, we could sit these guys more often. And, by having Fields as the sub instead of Ozuna, our offense would not suffer as a result. Plus, Nick Swisher could get a break once a week too.

Fields would cover Thome and Crede. Anderson would cover Dye (Swisher to RF), Konerko (Swisher to 1B), and Swisher. Both subs would get 3-4 games a week, which should keep them fresh too. Defense would not suffer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 06:30 AM)
On a couple of threads now, I've floated the idea of bringing up Josh Fields. I still think it's a good idea. He's not tearing up AAA, but he's hitting fine down there. Slugging .497. OPS at .834. Whatever ailment he had, it seems behind him, as he's played regularly the last 10 games.

What Fields' presence would allow for that the Sox don't do very well is to rest guys regularly. Here are 4 guys that could benefit if Fields were brought up.

1. Konerko (32) -- bad thumb. If he's not going on the DL, he needs to sit 1-2x a week to rest it.

2. Thome (37) -- should sit against lefties. His 3-year OPS against lefties is .669; righties 1.101. (Yes, he's hitting lefties better this year, for the first time ever. Don't expect it to hold. If it does, then sit him against some righties.)

3. Crede (30) -- back issues. After day off last week, went on a tear for several days, then didn't hit the last 2-3. Should sit at least 1x/week regularly.

4. Dye (34) -- not getting any younger.

Between Brian Anderson and Josh Fields, we could sit these guys more often. And, by having Fields as the sub instead of Ozuna, our offense would not suffer as a result. Plus, Nick Swisher could get a break once a week too.

Fields would cover Thome and Crede. Anderson would cover Dye (Swisher to RF), Konerko (Swisher to 1B), and Swisher. Both subs would get 3-4 games a week, which should keep them fresh too. Defense would not suffer.

so you bring this up, while these guys are starting to get hot.

rest is a very overrated concept in baseball. These guys want to play, and play everyday. Do they get tired? Sure. But to put them on a routine of sitting 1-2 times a week is stupid, IMO. They'll need a day off, but these are professional athletes. If they can't handle playing at least 150-155 games, then they shouldn't be getting paid millions of dollars.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
rest is a very overrated concept in baseball. These guys want to play, and play everyday. Do they get tired? Sure. But to put them on a routine of sitting 1-2 times a week is stupid, IMO. They'll need a day off, but these are professional athletes. If they can't handle playing at least 150-155 games, then they shouldn't be getting paid millions of dollars.

It's not stupid or overrated when you're talking about time on the DL or significantly diminished performance.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
It's not stupid or overrated when you're talking about time on the DL or significantly diminished performance.

Has Crede shown ill-effects, has indicated his back has been hurting him? I don't think so. So why baby him? If we were going to DL Konerko, it would have been when his injury was at it's worst point.

Dye is old, but not that old. He's slow, but he's perfectly healthy. Thome is the only one you have a possible case for, but he's a DH. Thome is the only one who should have a possible random day off every once in a while.

I'm not sure what you're arguing about. Konerko really should've gone to the DL, I honestly have no idea why he was playing. Thome is a DL trip waiting to happen if you don't keep him fresh.

I don't want to sit him, but if you think Crede's back isn't still a question mark, you're lying to yourself.

The whole team has a day off next Monday 6/16 and the following Monday 6/23. There's another day off July 7th and then 4 more days off the next week for the All Star break.

Worry about this stuff after the All Star break. At that point, see if personnel changes are necessary. There will be almost two weeks before the trade deadline to get something done and/or promote someone internally.

Thome for one will get plenty of rest when the Sox travel to NL parks.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)

It is with position players. Luckily Ozzie has given our bullpen one of the lightest loads in baseball, which should pay off nearing the end of the season.

Thome doesn't need days off...in fact, I would imagine if you did give him a day off, he'd be hitting anyway in the clubhouse. And you don't need to worry about Jim's legs, you need to worry about his back.

Paulie just got a cortizone shot, he should feel better for awhile and I bet has offseason surgery.

Crede has been doin' alright and one or two days off isn't going to stop a tweak of the back.

This is more important after the all-star break, like someone said.

Fields' needs to be playing everyday regardless.

He's starting to swing to bat better in Charlotte, so let him keep doing that until at least the ASB, and then re-assess what you want to do with him from there.

He shouldn't be used until September IMHO, unless one of Konerko or Thome goes on the DL (which could still happen with Paulie for example).

But you have to remember that Konerko is also a big time 2nd half hitter. You're going to want him in the lineup as much as possible probably down the stretch.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
i'd be more worried about our pitchers getting overworked.

Hence why Loaiza was signed, and they've got Broadway as a fallback option in AAA.

No more rotating 5th starters, and plenty of depth to use, so the Sox have plenty of options there.

I actually don't understand this thread, this team won 7 in a row, in first place by 6 games. all the hitters mentioned are starting to hit, they need to stay in the lineup. Taking them out now for a 250 strike out hitter in the minors makes little sense. Konerko won two games for us last week, crede, was player of the week, Thome was three for four yesterday, and dye has been one of our more consistant players this year, swisher is starting to hit the ball very well. Lets wait a bit, until these guys really get tired. Right now is the wrong time. I am certain the sox will add a speed guy within a month, whether thats little hit owens or lofton or someone else. That will be your guy that will spell dye, swisher, and konerko (through swisher moving to first). Fields is not the answer.

I actually don't understand this thread, this team won 7 in a row, in first place by 6 games. all the hitters mentioned are starting to hit, they need to stay in the lineup. Taking them out now for a 250 strike out hitter in the minors makes little sense. Konerko won two games for us last week, crede, was player of the week, Thome was three for four yesterday, and dye has been one of our more consistant players this year, swisher is starting to hit the ball very well. Lets wait a bit, until these guys really get tired. Right now is the wrong time. I am certain the sox will add a speed guy within a month, whether thats little hit owens or lofton or someone else. That will be your guy that will spell dye, swisher, and konerko (through swisher moving to first). Fields is not the answer.

Agree on Fields and would love to see a speed guy but who do you move off the team? Not that the current guys are the be-all end-all but the only odd man out I see is Uribe. And despite his lack of hitting prowess he does have value to this team as a defensive backup and/or insurance policy. Not to mention those good speed guys don't grow on trees.

One thing to consider is the decrease in PED use especially amphetamines. The older players stats will be worth watching for a decrease in performance during August and Sept. The energy drinks that are now prevalent in the dugouts will only go so far.

These factors may require a closer look at rest but closer to the end of July and August. The nagging injuries may take a greater toll on the players.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Agree on Fields and would love to see a speed guy but who do you move off the team? Not that the current guys are the be-all end-all but the only odd man out I see is Uribe. And despite his lack of hitting prowess he does have value to this team as a defensive backup and/or insurance policy. Not to mention those good speed guys don't grow on trees.

If it happens then you move uribe. If it doesn't then you don't, it would be the same if fields came up. Who would you move? Same thing. I actually cannot believe I am contributing to this stupid thread. I break my own rules sometime.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
On a bruise?

I don't believe the injury is a bruise. If you look at another thread, I believe the injury is a tenosynovitis called DeQuervain's Syndrome which is an inflammation of the synovial membrane and tendons of the thumb and wrist.

It is also a condition that does not require surgery but can take a substantial amount of rest to heal.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
One thing to consider is the decrease in PED use especially amphetamines. The older players stats will be worth watching for a decrease in performance during August and Sept. The energy drinks that are now prevalent in the dugouts will only go so far.

These factors may require a closer look at rest but closer to the end of July and August. The nagging injuries may take a greater toll on the players.

i love this angle, I am not against giving rest, I am just against giving rest now that the team is starting to hit on all cylinders. You ride the wave. Quentin is a guy who has never played all year, swisher is out of positon and dye and konerko are old. You have to rest them I understand, just not now when they are heating up.

If it happens then you move uribe. If it doesn't then you don't, it would be the same if fields came up. Who would you move? Same thing. I actually cannot believe I am contributing to this stupid thread. I break my own rules sometime.

Well that's true, anyone is expendable if you get the right deal. If they can find a guy who plays good defense at 2B, SS, and 3B and has speed and is a pesky hitter, launch Uribe. But I can't figure out who that'd be.

Actually you did contribute to the thread by describing it in one word. It is yet another let's shoehorn Josh Fields into the lineup no matter what threads.

What's Pablo Ozuna adding to our team at the moment? Nothing. His OPS is .589. He's not even fast enough any more to be of value as a pinch runner. And he's not a plus defender at any position so he can't even be an LIDR.

Josh Fields, on the other hand, would add something to the team. He slugged nearly as well as Paul Konerko did LAST year over 100 games. And he hit much better than Jim Thome has against lefties over the last several years. Plus, Joe Crede goes up and down with his hitting. If you look, he's not hitting lefties AT ALL (.318 OPS). So, aside from resting his back, he should sit some of the time.

As for being hot, we were at home. But you could see in last night's game some of the problems we had in Tampa resurfacing.

I still believe having a bat of value on the bench that can spell your starters and be used to pinch hit (in addition to Thome) when we go to interleague play soon would be WAY more useful than having Pablo Ozuna around.

I would bring Fields up starting with the Colorado series.

What's Pablo Ozuna adding to our team at the moment? Nothing. His OPS is .589. He's not even fast enough any more to be of value as a pinch runner. And he's not a plus defender at any position so he can't even be an LIDR.

Josh Fields, on the other hand, would add something to the team. He slugged nearly as well as Paul Konerko did LAST year over 100 games. And he hit much better than Jim Thome has against lefties over the last several years. Plus, Joe Crede goes up and down with his hitting. If you look, he's not hitting lefties AT ALL (.318 OPS). So, aside from resting his back, he should sit some of the time.

As for being hot, we were at home. But you could see in last night's game some of the problems we had in Tampa resurfacing.

I still believe having a bat of value on the bench that can spell your starters and be used to pinch hit (in addition to Thome) when we go to interleague play soon would be WAY more useful than having Pablo Ozuna around.

I would bring Fields up starting with the Colorado series.

And it would be a dumb idea to bring Fields up starting with the Colorado series. Here is why, as explained by several other posters as well as me:

1. He is just starting ... just starting ... to find his stroke at Charlotte. He needs to play every day, he needs to hit every day. That won't happen if he's here right now, regardless of your rotation ideas.

2. Ozuna is doing what he does best. Being a reserve, giving the manager speed and flexibiity. Not sure what if any games you're watching, but his speed is just fine. He's made more than a few excellent baserunning plays over the past few weeks. He is a good influence in the clubhouse by all accounts, everyone loves him, the team is playing well and it's not a great idea to mess with the chemistry. OPS? He's a reserve fill in player. OPS isn't what a guy like him is measured on.

3. If anything, they need a left handed hitter on the bench. They don't have one right now but they do have a few right handed hitters on the bench. Yet you are advocating bringing in another right handed hitter who is striking out once every three times vs. AAA pitching. Forgive me if I feel that's faulty logic at best.

4. This is a pennant race. What he did last year in a no pressure environment means very little right now.

5. The best defensive backup they have at 3B is Juan Uribe. He is already on the roster. If Crede needs his back rested, they have one guy who can provide a spark and energy (Ozuna) and another who can provide stellar defense (Uribe).

6. There are reasons why Williams and Guillen haven't brought Fields up. Many of those reasons are stated in points 1 through 5 above. It seems to me they know their personnel and what they need pretty well.

7. The interleague aspect of double switches, etc. won't come into effect these next two series. They're being played in AL parks where the designated hitter is used. They have two more interleague series on the road, vs. the Cubs and the Dodgers. Further, it is more valuable to have defensive flexibility in situations where you are moving players around. Ozuna plays at leasts 3 positions. Fields plays one.