KW to Colletti: Not so fast, my friend

thedoctor

The Dodgers, before obtaining shortstop Angel Berroa, attempted to acquire White Sox infielder Juan Uribe in a deal for Esteban Loaiza, major-league sources say. The Dodgers offered to split the difference between Loaiza's contract and Uribe's, but the White Sox balked and signed Loaiza for the pro-rated minimum after the Dodgers released him — a move that also enabled them to retain Uribe as a trade chip. The White Sox could move either Uribe or Pablo Ozuna and add a reserve outfielder now that Alexei Ramirez has taken over at second base . . .

rosenthal

They might have been the only team willing to take Uribe. What other teams might want Uribe now?

NOTE: I'm not saying this was a bad move, as Kenny got Loiza for nothing and at a cheaper price (right?).

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
NOTE: I'm not saying this was a bad move, as Kenny got Loiza for nothing and at a cheaper price (right?).

Exactly right. We would have been out much more and without our quality defensive backup.

As long as Uribe remains a defensive backup, he's pretty valuable to this team right now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
Exactly right. We would have been out much more and without our quality defensive backup.

As long as Uribe remains a defensive backup, he's pretty valuable to this team right now.

agree completely. some have allowed their hatred of uribe to cloud their view of his ability. is he a top-level shortstop or second baseman? no. is he one of the dregs of mlb who has no place playing pro ball? no.

he does have value, although some will allow their personal bias to cloud that reality.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
I'm pretty sure Baltimore won't be in contention next month, and if that's the case, they'd have no interest in wasting a couple mil and any type of prospect for Uribe.

Baltimore needs something of a stopgap at SS. Bynum is basically a backup infielder who is filling a void. Obviously we're not going to get anything anywhere near MLB-ready (that's just silly) but they would probably consider it.

Loaiza is not abum. He is a very good pitcher and has a god history with the Sox. Cooper shoud be able to get him on track and he can do the job he was signed to do - long relief and spot start. Uribe is a great glove man and may very well be a trade chip. I am still baffled by why he hsn't played at all since returning from the DL. Ramirez is playing very well, but Uribe can fill in at SS-2B or 3B and hasn't even been in in the late innings. No at bats either that I am aware of. If he is not filling any role other than keeping the bench warm and the water bucket full for the team I would think a trade is in line soon.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Baltimore needs something of a stopgap at SS. Bynum is basically a backup infielder who is filling a void. Obviously we're not going to get anything anywhere near MLB-ready (that's just silly) but they would probably consider it.

Yeah, for Jay Payton.

B-More's obviously the main option, but they've got Cintron there now IIRC.

Realistically, Uribe is only going to be a backup for almost every team. Hence the Sox need to look at teams that need a backup infielder, but then the Sox need to find an upgrade from Uribe themselves if they trade him, and I don't know if they can do that.

My guess is, Uribe stays here for the season, and then leaves for free agency.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 06:42 AM)
There are a lot of team who are only an injury away from needing an experienced MLB shortstop... and it's a long season. I wouldn't be in a hurry to dump Uribe.

+1

The Sox would also be screwed if they dealt or DFA'd Uribe and Cabrera got hurt. Keep Juan on the bench and use him as a defensive sub and to spell the starters when they get a day off. His bat makes him worth so little that trading him is almost pointless.

Loaiza is barely hitting 80mph on his fastball. This situation is like Parque a while back. I seriously doubt Loaiza makes it through the season with the Sox.

Is his velocity really that low?

I thought I read in one of the game threads when Loaiza pitched his fastball was sitting at 88 or so. ??

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Is his velocity really that low?

I thought I read in one of the game threads when Loaiza pitched his fastball was sitting at 88 or so. ??

The first game he pitched in, this is what the TV radar gun readings were showing.

88mph that is...

Edited by southsider2k5
making clear on speeds

B-More's obviously the main option, but they've got Cintron there now IIRC.

Realistically, Uribe is only going to be a backup for almost every team. Hence the Sox need to look at teams that need a backup infielder, but then the Sox need to find an upgrade from Uribe themselves if they trade him, and I don't know if they can do that.

My guess is, Uribe stays here for the season, and then leaves for free agency.

Uribe is a big time insurance policy. I don't think the White Sox are in a big hurry to launch him, unless they get something they really like in return.

It should be factored in that Uribe plays an excellent 3B even though he hasn't been seen much over there. If something happens to Crede or Cabrera or Ramirez, Uribe is the guy. We have to remember they (Williams and Guillen) are really valuing defense to support this pitching staff. Plus they like Ozuna in his role ... spot starter, pinch runner, spark plug, all around good guy to have on the team, etc.

What they might do is sign a guy or two for Charlotte and build some depth there, just in case. There have been quite a few guys DFA'd lately around baseball.

Although I will see if God forbid something happens to Cabrera, KW's first phone call will be to SF about Vizquel, despite Vizquel's weak stats last year and so far this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
The first game he pitched in, this is what the TV radar gun readings were showing.

88mph that is...

He pitched another game at the Cell I was at, his second appearance I think, and he was at 87 on the gun there. Comcast is usually 1 or 2 mph higher, which would be that 88. So while he certainly isn't blowing anyone away, he's also not pitching in the 70's as was stated earlier.

88mph that is...

Ok good, I thought so but wasn't sure.

When the Sox pick up a pticher like this, they're usually pretty good about knowing the guy is in relatively good health and has something to offer.

Actually I don't think they'll touch the roster until all these interleague games are done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)

88mph that is...

He hit 88 ONCE on the TV radar gun. Most of his fastballs were 85-86.

If that gun was even remotely accurate, I'm not holding my breath on waiting for him to regain '03 form, or even roster-worthy form.

Edited by WCSox