KW to Colletti: Not so fast, my friend

thedoctor

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
Loaiza is not abum. He is a very good pitcher and has a god history with the Sox. Cooper shoud be able to get him on track and he can do the job he was signed to do - long relief and spot start. Uribe is a great glove man and may very well be a trade chip. I am still baffled by why he hsn't played at all since returning from the DL. Ramirez is playing very well, but Uribe can fill in at SS-2B or 3B and hasn't even been in in the late innings. No at bats either that I am aware of. If he is not filling any role other than keeping the bench warm and the water bucket full for the team I would think a trade is in line soon.

This thus make no assumption that Loaiza is 5 years older, has 5 more years of wear and tear on his arm, and assumes he has not lost any velocity or stuff over the past 5 years. Seems ignorant to me.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
Loiaza is a mopup guy, someone to eat innings in blowout wins or losses. That's his role, and it's an important one. It lets you save Dotel, Thornton, Logan, and to a lesser extent, Masset for when you need them most. So don't sweat whether he hits 83 or 86. His pitch speed isn't really important.

exactly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
The first game he pitched in, this is what the TV radar gun readings were showing.

88mph that is...

I was watching the 6/8 game on the other broadcast and not the Sox broadcast. Their gun had Loaiza in the low 80's. Gameday on mlb.com also had Loaiza in the low 80's with the fastball and high 70's with the cutter. Although, looking at the highlights, the HR Loaiza gave up to Casilla in his first appearance (6/6) was on an 81 mph cutter (comcast) which would put his fastball in the 84-86 range. So who knows with these guns. He's definitely a far cry from where he was.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
Loiaza is a mopup guy, someone to eat innings in blowout wins or losses. That's his role, and it's an important one. It lets you save Dotel, Thornton, Logan, and to a lesser extent, Masset for when you need them most. So don't sweat whether he hits 83 or 86. His pitch speed isn't really important.

from the corner, nothin but net

I just dont see KW trading Uribe. If an injury occurs to Cabrera or Ramirez than all that leaves is Ozuna. Richar is still recovering slowly down in the minors... its good to have depth on the bench, especially on the defensive end. Uribe and Anderson are amazing defensive replacements. I think the only thing this team needs now is a bat off the bench and if somehow we can aqcuire a 'true' leadoff hitter than we'll be set. But as Hawk would say "where would he play?" I guess we just dont have room for a true leadoff hitter.