Freddie Garcia anyone?

VAfan

This from Buster Olney's blog:

Freddy Garcia continues to throw in Miami and prepare for a comeback, and by the end of the month the free agent should be able to pitch a simulated game in Miami. Many teams remain in contact with his agents, and once he takes his rehabilitation program to the next stage, there's likely to be an army of scouts on hand to watch him throw. At a time when teams are beginning to weigh whether to trade prospects for pitching help, the only thing needed to acquire Garcia would be cash.

With Danks unlikely to make it through the season (given his youth and innings pitched), would anyone here want to welcome Freddie back? I certainly hope and expect Kenny Williams to be checking it out. Maybe Freddie would take a finish-the-year contract just to show he's back (if he is) with the idea of entering next offseason as someone worthy of one final multi-year deal? I'd be all for the former -- if he has a fastball again -- as it's low cost-high gain. He could duke it out with Esteban Loiaza for end-of-the-year honors. On that score, Freddie definitely has the postseason cred; Loiaza does not.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you talking about, Danks is going to be fine making it through the season. The last thing we need is Garcia and Loaiza on this team at the same time, you have two players who worked in the past, they arent going to be better then Danks at the present though.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
what are you talking about, Danks is going to be fine making it through the season. The last thing we need is Garcia and Loaiza on this team at the same time, you have two players who worked in the past, they arent going to be better then Danks at the present though.

Well, I don't necessarily like the Freddy Garcia option, but it's the truth. Danks wound down in the past and he may again this year in the dog days or near the playoffs. It's just a function of him being young.

Acquiring some depth, especially that with postseason experience, can never hurt.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
Well, I don't necessarily like the Freddy Garcia option, but it's the truth. Danks wound down in the past and he may again this year in the dog days or near the playoffs. It's just a function of him being young.

Acquiring some depth, especially that with postseason experience, can never hurt.

Especially if it's cheap.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)

yeah but you would expect last season to be the season where he got those kinks out and that he should be ready to go this season. I think he is more then capable of playing out the year, and hes the better option that having a question mark in the rotation with Loaiza/Garcia i dont even know why i need to say that its just wrong saying we need to mess with what has gotten us this far.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
Its broken. And needs to be fixed with multiple posts.

:lolhitting

Awesome.

Hitters are just starting to hit? Get Fields in there! Pitchers are the best in baseball? Stick Freddy Mary Jane Garcia in there!

Bizarre.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Why not consider Freddie Garcia if he is healthy? He is a real battler out there and could help-IF HEALTHY

This team has the best pitching staff in all of baseball right now. The starters have been flat out amazing, except for MB, who appears to be coming around. We have a guy in the pen who was originally a starter (Masset), and another starter we just added for mop-up and spot starts (Loaiza). Then there is Lance Broadway in AAA, waiting in the wings, like B-Mac was in 2005.

What could Freddie Garcia, long removed from playing, possibly do for this club?

If Garcia is healthy he will be a hot FA with many teams out for his service. At this point the best the White Sox could offer him is Loiza's long spot or a minor league spot, both of which he would likely not want since he could walk on to playoff contenders and be in their rotaiton (again, assuming he's healthy)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
If Garcia is healthy he will be a hot FA with many teams out for his service. At this point the best the White Sox could offer him is Loiza's long spot or a minor league spot, both of which he would likely not want since he could walk on to playoff contenders and be in their rotaiton (again, assuming he's healthy)

Bingo.

He'll go to a team such as the Mets or Yankees who'll offer him a guaranteed spot in their rotation.

Loaiza and Broadway are the backup options, and they're pretty good ones at that when you look at what other teams have depth wise.

I love the criticism about starting threads from guys who came to this site a lot later than I did. Please tell me that someone else brought up Freddie's name first? Or just shut up. Man, I never used to get defensive, but I really hate reading that kind of crap on this site. Just respond to the post, or ignore it, please. You won't find me ever criticizing someone on that score.

Now, as to the topic. Danks threw 139 innings last year. So far, he's thrown 74 this season. If he pitched every 5th game, that would be about 19 starts between now and the end of the year. At 6+ innings, another 120, by the end of the year. Can he do that without risk? Well, I'll leave that up to Don Cooper to decide.

But here were Danks' ERA by month last season: May 4.03 (5 starts), June 4.18 (6 starts), July 6.20 (4 starts), Aug 7.62 (6 starts).

This year, based on only 2 June starts, it's May 2.73 (6 starts), June 4.63 (2 starts).

Meanwhile, Gavin Floyd, while he's had more years in the majors, is already beyond his record for innings pitched in a season with this year's 78.1. His previous peak was reached last season at 70 IP. Check it out yourself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5922

Now, I have no interest in supplanting either Danks or Floyd as long as they continue to perform as they have this year, and as long as there is no threat to their long-term arm health. But baseball is about having a Plan B in place if something happens to Plan A. And since this is now a season where we need to be prepared for the postseason and not just the regular season, we need to strongly consider what would improve our chances in October.

Freddie Garcia may or may not be a pitcher that could do so. I don't want the Garcia of 2006 back. But I would love the Garcia of 2005 on our roster again at some point this year. And I would think that we would have very good odds of getting Freddie back compared to other clubs if his arm was strong again. First, we are as strong a contender as anyone. Second, he's already helped us win one WS ring. Third, isn't he still Ozzie's son-in-law? Or is it brother-in-law? He's also got the Venezuelan connection, doesn't he?

Anyway, no one's going to answer this debate right now, because no one knows whether Freddie has anything, or is just living a fantasy. But I certainly hope Kenny Williams checks it out. A pretty strong case can be made he was our best postseason starter in 2005. He won the division clinching game in Detroit, the ALDS clinching game in Boston, a complete-game win in Anaheim, and the WS clinching 1-0 game in Houston. Which reminds me -- he was a road master.

Edited by VAfan

I love the criticism about starting threads from guys who came to this site a lot later than I did. Please tell me that someone else brought up Freddie's name first? Or just shut up. Man, I never used to get defensive, but I really hate reading that kind of crap on this site. Just respond to the post, or ignore it, please. You won't find me ever criticizing someone on that score.

Now, as to the topic. Danks threw 139 innings last year. So far, he's thrown 74 this season. If he pitched every 5th game, that would be about 19 starts between now and the end of the year. At 6+ innings, another 120, by the end of the year. Can he do that without risk? Well, I'll leave that up to Don Cooper to decide.

But here were Danks' ERA by month last season: May 4.03 (5 starts), June 4.18 (6 starts), July 6.20 (4 starts), Aug 7.62 (6 starts).

This year, based on only 2 June starts, it's May 2.73 (6 starts), June 4.63 (2 starts).

Meanwhile, Gavin Floyd, while he's had more years in the majors, is already beyond his record for innings pitched in a season with this year's 78.1. His previous peak was reached last season at 70 IP. Check it out yourself.

Now, I have no interest in supplanting either Danks or Floyd as long as they continue to perform as they have this year, and as long as there is no threat to their long-term arm health. But baseball is about having a Plan B in place if something happens to Plan A. And since this is now a season where we need to be prepared for the postseason and not just the regular season, we need to strongly consider what would improve our chances in October.

Freddie Garcia may or may not be a pitcher that could do so. I don't want the Garcia of 2006 back. But I would love the Garcia of 2005 on our roster again at some point this year. And I would think that we would have very good odds of getting Freddie back compared to other clubs if his arm was strong again. First, we are as strong a contender as anyone. Second, he's already helped us win one WS ring. Third, isn't he still Ozzie's son-in-law?

Anyway, no one's going to answer this debate right now, because no one knows whether Freddie has anything, or is just living a fantasy. But I certainly hope Kenny Williams checks it out. A pretty strong case can be made he was our best postseason starter in 2005. He won the division clinching game in Detroit, the ALDS clinching game in Boston, a complete-game win in Anaheim, and the WS clinching 1-0 game in Houston. Which reminds me -- he was a road master.

What does time of arrival on this site have to do with anything? You tried that "I've been a fan since 1970" stuff before, so what, I've been a fan since 1966. Time of being a fan or time being on this site means squat. It seems people are telling you they don't like what you post. They are responding to the post by doing so. Maybe take a hint instead of telling people to shut up. And yes, Garcia's name has been brought up here many many times this year already.

On to topic as you say. Sure, fine, they should monitor Garcia and they are. Guillen, who is arguably as close to him as anyone (although not a son-in-law technically, Garcia is married to the wife's cousin), has stated he doesn't think Garcia will pitch effectively this year. That's been publicized a few times this year. They are monitoring the situation though, they've had scouts watching him and following his rehab, just as they did with Colon.

So, they are way ahead of you on this. If they need depth/insurance, they'll know it and they'll get it, whether it's Freddy Garcia or someone else. See Esteban Loaiza as Exhibit A.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)

Freddie Garcia may or may not be a pitcher that could do so. I don't want the Garcia of 2006 back. But I would love the Garcia of 2005 on our roster again at some point this year. And I would think that we would have very good odds of getting Freddie back compared to other clubs if his arm was strong again. First, we are as strong a contender as anyone. Second, he's already helped us win one WS ring. Third, isn't he still Ozzie's son-in-law? Or is it brother-in-law? He's also got the Venezuelan connection, doesn't he?

Are you including his 106.2 AAA innings??? I got him at 176.2 total innings in 2007 so reaching 200 is not a stretch.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Are you including his 106.2 AAA innings??? I got him at 176.2 total innings in 2007 so reaching 200 is not a stretch.

Basically its just lazy research by just searching ESPN.com. Floyd has had a good workload throughout the minors and Danks has shown the ability to approach that number as well. Freddy probably wont come back until August or Sept at the earliest anyway, so its kind of a dumb discussion right now. Also, this is exactly the reason why we signed Loaiza, and Ozzie and Coop have said they will use him for spot starts to help lighten the workloads.

Basically its just lazy research by just searching ESPN.com. Floyd has had a good workload throughout the minors and Danks has shown the ability to approach that number as well. Freddy probably wont come back until August or Sept at the earliest anyway, so its kind of a dumb discussion right now. Also, this is exactly the reason why we signed Loaiza, and Ozzie and Coop have said they will use him for spot starts to help lighten the workloads.

Nicely put.