Madigan writes 14 pg. memo on impeaching Blago

bmags

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...0,2250083.story

SPRINGFIELD—House Speaker Michael Madigan is circulating a memo to legislative candidates spelling out how they can call for impeachment hearings for Gov. Rod Blagojevich—with talking points that compare corruption under the governor to a tumor that must be removed.

The 14-page rundown of Blagojevich's alleged "misdeeds and malfeasance" is sure to deepen the feud between the two Democrats.

"One thing we learned from the [imprisoned former Republican Gov.] George Ryan case is that we should excise a tumor when it is first discovered; not leave it in the body to continue to spread and do further harm," the memo reads.

Madigan spokesman Steve Brown said the Democratic Party of Illinois, which Madigan chairs, sent the memo to a "bunch of candidates" requesting more information about impeachment. The memo drew a terse statement from Senate President Emil Jones Jr.

"I think it's wrong for the Democratic Speaker and Democratic Party Chairman to promote the impeachment of a Democratic Governor," Jones said. "Impeachment is unwarranted in my opinion, and should not be used as a political tool.

"It is a serious state action that should not be used to divert attention from the issues at hand, which are the operating budget and passing a capital bill."

Get 'em Mads

Madigan, a democrat, managed to work quite well with multiple Republican governors. Heck, under Thompson and Edgar, it used to be noted how incredibly well the governor and the legislature worked together, despite being from different parties.

The fact that Madigan wants to impeach a governor from his own party should tell you just how awful Blago is. If you didn't know already.

This has always been Madigan's state anyway.

It partly shows just how in shambles the Republicans are, too, then. They weren't going to win vs. Obama, but even so getting Alan Keyes I believe hurt their party. Then, my rubber duckie could have beat Blago and they throw Judy Baar Topinka. I mean, Oberweis and Topinka...give me a break. Why not Joe Birkett, he lost to a strong candidate in Lisa Madigan, but he's got a pretty clean record and could've played the anti-corruption card.

But instead we got Blago. Good lord. PLEASE IMPEACH HIM, recall him, anything.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Madigan, a democrat, managed to work quite well with multiple Republican governors. Heck, under Thompson and Edgar, it used to be noted how incredibly well the governor and the legislature worked together, despite being from different parties.

The fact that Madigan wants to impeach a governor from his own party should tell you just how awful Blago is. If you didn't know already.

This has always been Madigan's state anyway.

Its totally personal. It has nothing to do with party.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
Its totally personal. It has nothing to do with party.

I think that's true to an extent. But look at what has been going on. This governor has refused to work with the legislature at all, and has numerous times asked them to pass expensive legislation but not raise taxes. That leaves one option - deficits - which the legislature, wisely, refuses to do. Plus Blago's obvious corruption in the office, and the fact that his entire approach to governance is to pout like a baby when his useless ideas don't go anywhere.

If I had been running the legislature for 20-something years and done well with it, and a governor came in and pissed all over the government, I'd be pissed too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
I think that's true to an extent. But look at what has been going on. This governor has refused to work with the legislature at all, and has numerous times asked them to pass expensive legislation but not raise taxes. That leaves one option - deficits - which the legislature, wisely, refuses to do. Plus Blago's obvious corruption in the office, and the fact that his entire approach to governance is to pout like a baby when his useless ideas don't go anywhere.

If I had been running the legislature for 20-something years and done well with it, and a governor came in and pissed all over the government, I'd be pissed too.

In Chicago it makes you a five term Mayor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
In Chicago it makes you a five term Mayor.

There is a key difference there...

Daley = corrupt but effective

Blago = corrupt and ineffective

That's the Chicago way, nowadays. You can be crooked, if things get done. Daley did a ton to put Chicago where it is today, as a world class city. That said, now that the city is seeing such major problems with infrastructure, the Block 37 debacle again, etc., I think Daley starts to become less invincible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
There is a key difference there...

Daley = corrupt but effective

Blago = corrupt and ineffective

That's the Chicago way, nowadays. You can be crooked, if things get done. Daley did a ton to put Chicago where it is today, as a world class city. That said, now that the city is seeing such major problems with infrastructure, the Block 37 debacle again, etc., I think Daley starts to become less invincible.

Maybe it is being an outsider, but the big difference I see between the two of them is one of them has a puppet legistlature. I think if Blago got to do half of the stuff that Daley gets to do, he'd be more "effective". The other difference is that Richie has no powerful enemies like Mads.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
Maybe it is being an outsider, but the big difference I see between the two of them is one of them has a puppet legistlature. I think if Blago got to do half of the stuff that Daley gets to do, he'd be more "effective". The other difference is that Richie has no powerful enemies like Mads.

And the state would have been broke a long time ago. Blago hasn't got anything done because he is constantly pushing knee-jerk proposals with large amounts of spending, but no way to pay for them. PLus, his ego I think just totally messed him up. i remember when he first got elected, there was talk about him running for President. yeah, that would have worked out real well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Like I said, if Blago has a rubberstamp legislature, he would get stuff done too.

I really doubt it. Blago is a tool. He doesn't get along with either the state Democrats OR Republicans.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
I really doubt it. Blago is a tool. He doesn't get along with either the state Democrats OR Republicans.

My impression is that people don't really like Rich, they deal with him because they don't have a choice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
My impression is that people don't really like Rich, they deal with him because they don't have a choice.

Daley is still very popular, so yes, they are under pressure to cave to him a lot. But also, they know that his initiatives and stances are in line with the voters, and they have been very effective. So they are more than happy to ride his coattails.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Is it true Blago flies in on a personal jet everyday from his regular home out there somewhere (forget where exactly) to Springfield?

I haven't heard that. Blago lives in the city of Chicago, as I understand it. Or did, anyway. If he does that on his own dime, or the dime of his contributors, it doesn't bother me (unless I was one of those contributors). If he does it on government dime, then he can sit his ass on the Amtrak or his car like everyone else who goes to Springfield from Chicago.

OK, check that, Amtrak won't work due to security. His driver can get him down there.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Is it true Blago flies in on a personal jet everyday from his regular home out there somewhere (forget where exactly) to Springfield?

I don't know if it's every day, but he does commute to and from Chicago an awful lot (on taxpayers' dimes), and he spends a lot of time working at home in Chicago.

Typically, Mayors of big cities aren't dealing with 'puppet' legislatures, it's just that city councils aren't designed to be that powerful compared to the mayor. The mayor is the only one with real name recognition in the city and is seen as the head of the city by the voters and that's how it is mostly run.

With some states, the governor also has a state legislature that mostly serve to the governor. Georgia is an example of this, one of the reason why Carter's one term was even less impressive, he never really had to deal with a legislature before.

Illinois, however, has a highly professionalized state legislature. They get paid well, get staff and we don't have term limits. This has, imo, lead to a successful legislature, and has been a benefit to us in a situation like this with a corrupt governor.

'Puppet' legislature is a misleading term, the way you use it.