Soriano out at least 6 weeks

DaTank

Broke his finger tonight, ouch. Glad we won't have to face him. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

CHICAGO -- The Cubs' Alfonso Soriano will be sidelined a minimum of six weeks after he suffered a fractured finger on his left hand when he was hit by a pitch by the Atlanta Braves' Jeff Bennett in the second inning Wednesday night.

X-rays revealed a minimally displaced fracture of his left fourth metacarpal, the team said. Soriano's finger will be in a splint for three weeks, and team officials said they will have a better idea after that as to when he can return. However, he is expected to be sidelined a minimum of six weeks.

With a runner on base and two outs in the Chicago second, Soriano was struck by the third pitch from Bennett, and the ball appeared to ricochet off the outfielder's face.

Soriano fell to the ground in obvious pain, but walked off the field under his own power, accompanied by Cubs athletic trainer Mark O'Neal.

Soriano, who leads National League outfielders in the All-Star balloting, was batting .283. He hit his team-leading 15th home run on Saturday, and was hitting .323 with 13 homers and 35 RBIs in his past 38 games since returning from the disabled list with a strained right calf on May 1.

The team was expected to call up outfielder Micah Hoffpauir from Triple-A Iowa to take Soriano's spot on the roster.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Maybe so, but it now gives Cubs fans an excuse to give when the Sox beat them in the two serieses.

I'm confused how, I really am- the yahoo.com and whitesox.com are reporting Zambrano will pitch in both series's, but I still don't get how. He might have to pitch on 3 or 4 days rest to go in the 2nd series.

Oh well.

I'm saying Cubs win 4/6 or they split at 3/3.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
Maybe so, but it now gives Cubs fans an excuse to give when the Sox beat them in the two serieses.

I wouldn't care so long as the wins are on the board. People said the Sox got lucky and they made excuses for 2005, but the banner in LF is all that matters to me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
I wouldn't care so long as the wins are on the board. People said the Sox got lucky and they made excuses for 2005, but the banner in LF is all that matters to me.

You know what's worse? When the Cubs won the last game in both series's, and then the Scrubs fans say the Cubs were better since they won the last game between the 2.

It would be just as dumb if the Sox won 6/6 from the Cubs this year, and then the Cubs went on to win it all, and a Sox fan saying we were better.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
You know what's worse? When the Cubs won the last game in both series's, and then the Scrubs fans say the Cubs were better since they won the last game between the 2.

It would be just as dumb if the Sox won 6/6 from the Cubs this year, and then the Cubs went on to win it all, and a Sox fan saying we were better.

The last statement has no possibility of ever happening.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
I'm confused how, I really am- the yahoo.com and whitesox.com are reporting Zambrano will pitch in both series's, but I still don't get how. He might have to pitch on 3 or 4 days rest to go in the 2nd series.

It's pretty easy to understand. The Cubs have the 16th and 23rd off, so instead of just following the 1-5 rotation, Zambrano will pitch every 5 days. This means he's pitching on the 22nd and 27th.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)

Oh well.

I'm saying Cubs win 4/6 or they split at 3/3.

Pitchers normally pitch on 4 days rest.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
Pitchers normally pitch on 4 days rest.

Z pitches every 5th day no matter what they skip everyone to make that happen. Not sure about Lilly and Dempster. I would think as their lead grows they may stop doing this to save Z a little but I am not sure.