Flurry of transactions...

JPN366

Well David Cook has been promoted to Charlotte. (Sad fugee face) Dewon Day is demoted to B'ham, Ryan O'Malley is released from B'ham. Javier Colina is promoted to B'ham from Winston-Salem. The Warthogs will have an open roster spot now. My guess is either Sergio Miranda will return from Kanny or my money would be on Joe Persichina to move up there from Kanny. He's an awesome, hard-nosed ballplayer.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Well David Cook has been promoted to Charlotte. (Sad fugee face) Dewon Day is demoted to B'ham, Ryan O'Malley is released from B'ham. Javier Colina is promoted to B'ham from Winston-Salem. The Warthogs will have an open roster spot now. My guess is either Sergio Miranda will return from Kanny or my money would be on Joe Persichina to move up there from Kanny. He's an awesome, hard-nosed ballplayer.

Good to see Cook move up (sorry to the Barons fans!) - I wonder where he'll play. Colina is deserving it looks like.

As for the W-S spot, while Miranda appears to be getting it figured out finally, I doubt they will re-promote him again that quickly. I'd bet on Persichina.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
Good to see Cook move up (sorry to the Barons fans!) - I wonder where he'll play. Colina is deserving it looks like.

As for the W-S spot, while Miranda appears to be getting it figured out finally, I doubt they will re-promote him again that quickly. I'd bet on Persichina.

Cook can play all three outfield spots and play them well. He's only played RF and CF this year though. Charlotte will finally have plenty of outfielders now. No more Chris Getz and Fernando Cortez in LF. Persichina would fill Colina's void perfectly. Colina played 1st, 2nd & 3rd for the Warthogs and so can Joe. He can even play OF in a pinch.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
Cook can play all three outfield spots and play them well. He's only played RF and CF this year though. Charlotte will finally have plenty of outfielders now. No more Chris Getz and Fernando Cortez in LF. Persichina would fill Colina's void perfectly. Colina played 1st, 2nd & 3rd for the Warthogs and so can Joe. He can even play OF in a pinch.

So Cook is a solid OF defender at all positions? With his bat, if he can mash at AAA too, and if he's that good defensively, he may turn into something really valuable.

Thank god Cook got called up. All I hear is that he is wayy to old for the minors. So then put him in the league closest to make him "not that old". How old is Cook anyway? 26? Dosen't seem that old to me if he can make the major league roster next season at 27.

It would so sweet if we could trade Thome, Konerko, or Dye this offseason to make room for Cook to play CF if he were to continue his tear through the minors at AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
So Cook is a solid OF defender at all positions? With his bat, if he can mash at AAA too, and if he's that good defensively, he may turn into something really valuable.

Yes, he's good at all three spots. Good arm, good range, good hustle. Knights Castle is a much smaller ballpark, so his power numbers should at least be the same if not more. I defintely think he's major league caliber. He's the ideal ballplayer.

Always seemed locked in and focused at the plate. A team player all the way. If there is a guy on third with less than two outs, he'll hit the ball the other way either on the ground or in the air. Like I said, the ideal ballplayer.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Yes, he's good at all three spots. Good arm, good range, good hustle. Knights Castle is a much smaller ballpark, so his powers numbers should at least be the same if not more. I defintely think he's major league caliber. He's the ideal ballplayer.

Always seemed locked in and focused at the plate. A team player all the way. If there is a guy on third with less than two outs, he'll hit the ball the other way either on the ground or in the air. Like I said, the ideal ballplayer.

If he does rake at Charlotte, its kind of a shame that he's got nowhere to go. The Sox are pretty well loaded for outfielders this year and next. I get the feeling he'll be headed elsewhere to get his shot at the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
If he does rake at Charlotte, its kind of a shame that he's got nowhere to go. The Sox are pretty well loaded for outfielders this year and next. I get the feeling he'll be headed elsewhere to get his shot at the majors.

I'm sure Kenny Williams would love to trade him for David Weathers.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)

He may in fact be trade bait. But, after this season, he is a minor league free agent. I'd imagine, if he puts up good numbers in AAA, that he'll be looking for a major league deal somewhere. And unless the Sox clean house in the OF, which seems unlikely, that means Cook will be gone. Its too bad, because he looks to me like a guy who figured it out a little late but could be the real thing if given a chance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
He may in fact be trade bait. But, after this season, he is a minor league free agent. I'd imagine, if he puts up good numbers in AAA, that he'll be looking for a major league deal somewhere. And unless the Sox clean house in the OF, which seems unlikely, that means Cook will be gone. Its too bad, because he looks to me like a guy who figured it out a little late but could be the real thing if given a chance.

Well, let's think about the OF situation next year. Assume Ozuna and Uribe are gone, that creates a slot for Getz, and presumably we still need 1 more backup infielder. In the OF...well, the big elder 3 of Konerko, Thome, and Dye matter here. If one of them is moved, then presumably Anderson slides back in to the full time starting role, and then we're left with Owens and Cook as 2 obvious options for the backup OF role. If we were to only carry an 11 man pitching staff next year to start the season, that would create room for 2 backup IF's and 2 backup OF's.

Joe Persichina has been promoted to Winston-Salem. The first White Sox draft pick for this year to be assigned to a minor league team is...drum roll...46th round pick Lee Fischer has been assigned to Kannapolis to take Persichina's place.

http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/m...cher_lee00.html

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Well, let's think about the OF situation next year. Assume Ozuna and Uribe are gone, that creates a slot for Getz, and presumably we still need 1 more backup infielder. In the OF...well, the big elder 3 of Konerko, Thome, and Dye matter here. If one of them is moved, then presumably Anderson slides back in to the full time starting role, and then we're left with Owens and Cook as 2 obvious options for the backup OF role. If we were to only carry an 11 man pitching staff next year to start the season, that would create room for 2 backup IF's and 2 backup OF's.

i wouldn't assume Ozuna is gone. I think both Ozzie and KW like what he brings to the team. However, I think you're right and Uribe is gone and Getz could take his place.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Ryan O'Malley is released from B'ham.

That move was voided. Ryan O'Malley was not released by B'ham. Derek Rodriguez was promoted to Charlotte to take Adam Russell's place when he goes up to Chicago.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)

I'm not sure what your obsession with David Weathers is, but I don't think KW has one. You always make it seem like KW is going to trade every other prospect for him.

Besides that point, Cook is an older outfielder...he looks quite a bit like a late bloomer right now, but the Sox have Dye, Swisher, Quentin, Anderson, and, if you want to consider him, Owens too. Trading Cook either alone or in a package for a potential upgrade anywhere - be it the bench or bullpen (if that's even necessary) - is completely logical.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
I'm not sure what your obsession with David Weathers is, but I don't think KW has one. You always make it seem like KW is going to trade every other prospect for him.

Besides that point, Cook is an older outfielder...he looks quite a bit like a late bloomer right now, but the Sox have Dye, Swisher, Quentin, Anderson, and, if you want to consider him, Owens too. Trading Cook either alone or in a package for a potential upgrade anywhere - be it the bench or bullpen (if that's even necessary) - is completely logical.

The problem with trading a guy like Cook is...as a late bloomer, his value is significantly depressed compared to where it would be if he was putting up similar numbers at a normal age for his leagues. In other words, it makes very little sense to trade a guy like him until he's been up to the big leagues, because no team is going to give you anything more than a pittance for him because of his age until he shows off in the bigs. If a team trades for him, they're trying to get him as a steal because of his age, but they're not going to risk anything really useful on him. You might find some use for him by dealing him to a team that's selling off at the deadline, but his value would still be suppressed by his age.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)

By David Weathers, I mean an older, veteran reliever. I just use Weathers as an obvious example. Why trade Cook instead of Anderson or Owens? I'd take Cook over those two any day. And, I like Jerry Owens. He was B'ham's MVP in 2005. Just because Anderson was once the top prospect doesn't mean you keep him over a five tool guy like Cook, who is probably better. Brian Anderson was a great AA player, but he's yet to prove otherwise.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
So is this type of mid-season reshuffling fairly common, or could this be the comeuppeance from what Bureau was talking about before? (Players unfairly benched, etc).

Nice login name by the way. I remember that guy, a journeyman catcher, right? Anyway, Generally yes, this is common and because B'ham has already clinched a spot in the playoffs, their players who did well deserve a promotion to help at AAA. Although, I hope some of them come back in September if Charlotte doesn't make the playoffs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
The problem with trading a guy like Cook is...as a late bloomer, his value is significantly depressed compared to where it would be if he was putting up similar numbers at a normal age for his leagues. In other words, it makes very little sense to trade a guy like him until he's been up to the big leagues, because no team is going to give you anything more than a pittance for him because of his age until he shows off in the bigs. If a team trades for him, they're trying to get him as a steal because of his age, but they're not going to risk anything really useful on him. You might find some use for him by dealing him to a team that's selling off at the deadline, but his value would still be suppressed by his age.

Which is why I mentioned a bench player or a reliever. The Sox got Alex Cintron for Jeff Bajenaru, who, at his projected ceiling, was a middle reliever or potential setup guy, but he was still like 28 when the Sox traded him. Cintron was a respectable backup middle infielder in 2006. Going a bit further back, the Sox traded Ryan Meaux when he was 26 and in AA ball for Geoff Blum, who was versatile as hell and had a bit of power in his bat (a poor man's Juan Uribe, if you will)...both were quite valuable to the Sox bench. I would expect a slight upgrade in terms of offensive production, but that's about the type of player I'd expect to get for David Cook, and I'd have no problem doing that whatsoever. If you don't get the type of deal you're looking for, don't trade him. Versatile outfielders are always handy hanging out in the minors.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
So is this type of mid-season reshuffling fairly common, or could this be the comeuppeance from what Bureau was talking about before? (Players unfairly benched, etc).

Speaking of, what ever came about from that situation? I havent heard anything in a while.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 12:19 PM)
Which is why I mentioned a bench player or a reliever. The Sox got Alex Cintron for Jeff Bajenaru, who, at his projected ceiling, was a middle reliever or potential setup guy, but he was still like 28 when the Sox traded him. Cintron was a respectable backup middle infielder in 2006. Going a bit further back, the Sox traded Ryan Meaux when he was 26 and in AA ball for Geoff Blum, who was versatile as hell and had a bit of power in his bat (a poor man's Juan Uribe, if you will)...both were quite valuable to the Sox bench. I would expect a slight upgrade in terms of offensive production, but that's about the type of player I'd expect to get for David Cook, and I'd have no problem doing that whatsoever. If you don't get the type of deal you're looking for, don't trade him. Versatile outfielders are always handy hanging out in the minors.

But...the only reason you'd make that trade is if you really don't think that Cook has "Figured it out" and you're convinced that Cook is only putting up these numbers because of the age difference between him and the rest of the league he's in. If you think he's figured it out and has the tools to become a solid player, you don't make that move.

By the way, Jeff Liefer retired. That's why he hasn't played since May 27th. Funny, since there is an article just posted today on MiLB.com about him and the difference between playing in Japan and in the minors in the USA.

Edited by JPN366

If Cook plays in Charlotte anywhere close to the level he's been at the last 2 years, the Sox will find a place for him.

Think about it... he has a career OPS of .919... a career OBP of .388... and this year his production has been nothing short of staggering. A .467 OBP?? 1.044 OPS?? Guys with his kind of offensive ability and power who can play CF don't come along every day.

And he's younger than Jerry Owens.

Who knows? He may just turn out to be a AAAA player. But if he continues to hit like he has been, I think he has a real shot to be in the mix with Anderson and Owens for a roster spot.

It will be very interesting to see how he does in Charlotte, because this is probably his last shot with the Sox. He's Rule 5 eligible this fall. So his performance in the second half will likely determine if he stays or goes.

Edited by scenario