Supreme Court Rules Guantanamo Detainees Have Constitutional Rights To

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
No, I mean trial before they should be hung or not.

And during the trial when it's discovered someone is actually not a terrorist, you should _____ (please fill in the blank)

Or do you prefer summary executions?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Weren't the Nazis given fair trials where they could present a defense? (please correct me if I am wrong)

Hell, Saddam was given a "fairer" trial then these people are.

They were also attached to countries under the Geneva Conventions, for arguements sake.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
And during the trial when it's discovered someone is actually not a terrorist, you should _____ (please fill in the blank)

Or do you prefer summary executions?

Oh please. I would be absolutelty shocked if any one of the hundreds of people we have contained there don't absolutely despise America and/or haven't funded terrorist organizations, if not actually be a part of one of the many terrorist groups.

If it was up to me, I'd probably have them lined up in a striaght line, and shot with one of those bullets that goes straight through, so we dont waste any ammo. I'd also have the lawyers defending these terrorists executed as well for aiding terrorism.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Oh please. I would be absolutelty shocked if any one of the hundreds of people we have contained there don't absolutely despise America and/or haven't funded terrorist organizations, if not actually be a part of one of the many terrorist groups.

If it was up to me, I'd probably have them lined up in a striaght line, and shot with one of those bullets that goes straight through, so we dont waste any ammo. I'd also have the lawyers defending these terrorists executed as well for aiding terrorism.

Glad to see American's have officially given up human rights in favor of McCarthyism.

BearSox, You are a terrorist. Guess it's time to send you to Gitmo. I have no proof, but that doesn't matter. nice knowin ya.

That's EXACTLY what McCarthyism. Calling people names and branding them without any credible evidence then using that to impression or tarnish them.

Under THIS administration, they can call anyone a terrorist and lock them up with little to no evidence. Get put before court, and (as you suggested) get shot in a firing line. That's not the country i grew up in.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Oh please. I would be absolutelty shocked if any one of the hundreds of people we have contained there don't absolutely despise America and/or haven't funded terrorist organizations, if not actually be a part of one of the many terrorist groups

Then why does the government need to "rewrite" their evidence now that it is in public view? Much of it is probably flimsy and would stand up in a REAL court of law, not one appointed by Bush to nail anyone who stand sin his way.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Glad to see American's have officially given up human rights in favor of McCarthyism.

BearSox, You are a terrorist. Guess it's time to send you to Gitmo. I have no proof, but that doesn't matter. nice knowin ya.

This isn't McCarthyism. These people are known islamofascists and terrorists. Call me naive, but I don't think the military picked up a couple hundred random people and declared them terroritsts for the hell of it.

Hey, what the hell, why not read these terrorists their miranda rights before we detain on the battle field as well?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)

lol. This is amusing, but useless. There is no point in continuing. I'm at work and I'm too busy to spot you all the facts and additional knowledge you CLEARLY do not have (I think you should also factor what in what I do for a living, if you haven't figured it out by now, it's not that hard), if you do that on your own I encourage it. But I wouldn't expect it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
This isn't McCarthyism. These people are known islamofascists and terrorists. Call me naive, but I don't think the military picked up a couple hundred random people and declared them terroritsts for the hell of it.

Hey, what the hell, why not read these terrorists their miranda rights before we detain on the battle field as well?

well, we wont know for sure until these people are given fair trials, now will we?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
lol. This is amusing, but useless. There is no point in continuing. I'm at work and I'm too busy to spot you all the facts and additional knowledge you CLEARLY do not have (I think you should also factor what in what I do for a living, if you haven't figured it out by now, it's not that hard), if you do that on your own I encourage it. But I wouldn't expect it.

I haven't really been paying attention, but my first guess would be lawyer.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
That's a good guess, but no. I'll tell you when I go home for the day

Gitmo detainee?

Terrorist, at least. Definitely a terrorist of some type. You hate America and you don't care who knows it!

Since I'm a Democrat, that would of course make you my hero... :notworthy

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Gitmo detainee?

Terrorist, at least. Definitely a terrorist of some type. You hate America and you don't care who knows it!

Since I'm a Democrat, that would of course make you my hero... :notworthy

:lolhitting

I'm an intelligence analyst. I used to specifically be a CT analyst around the time the war started but now I don't focus so much on the overseas stuff like I used to. I still follow it, though. But terrorism is still the general focus so it's really my job to know all this, to understand terrorists, their mode of thinking and what they are and are not. There isn't some single monolithic "kill all Americans they are evil and must all die" movement, it just doesn't work like that. This is why I find myself burying my face in my palm when I read what people write on the net sometimes.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
:lolhitting

I'm an intelligence analyst. I used to specifically be a CT analyst around the time the war started but now I don't focus so much on the overseas stuff like I used to. I still follow it, though. But terrorism is still the general focus so it's really my job to know all this, to understand terrorists, their mode of thinking and what they are and are not. There isn't some single monolithic "kill all Americans they are evil and must all die" movement, it just doesn't work like that. This is why I find myself burying my face in my palm when I read what people write on the net sometimes.

I know that that isn't their primary goal, but there is no doubt all islamofascists hate America. I recall you made a post earlier about islamofascists including Hamas, Al-Qaida, Hezbollah, etc., and that they get their funding from different places and they all have different goals and such. That's all fine and dandy, but they all hate america, they are all terrorist organizations, and they are all a threat to national security.

I think I was born into the wrong era. I think I would have fit in much better during the 40's.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
I know that that isn't their primary goal, but there is no doubt all islamofascists hate America. I recall you made a post earlier about islamofascists including Hamas, Al-Qaida, Hezbollah, etc., and that they get their funding from different places and they all have different goals and such. That's all fine and dandy, but they all hate america, they are all terrorist organizations, and they are all a threat to national security.

I think I was born into the wrong era. I think I would have fit in much better during the 40's.

My point in saying that is that you can't just lump them all into the same category, and think you can just identify them easily. You can't. And it's honestly tricky trying to figure out who is a terrorist and who isn't. Oh and there are definitely terrorists at Guantanamo who will and should die, but not everyone at Guantanamo is a terrorist, and under the previous policies they were just left out to dry. The military didn't intentionally take people who they didn't think were terrorists, but that ended up happening anyway. If a person is an honest-to-god terrorist, and we have a case against them, they're not going free no matter what "rights" they have.

And "Islamofascist" is something of a misnomer to begin with. That really just describes one type of terrorist. And without getting into "blame America" mode honestly some of our foreign policy has contributed to it, both before and during the Bush adminstration. If certain things were to change, or begin looking more favorable/benevolent, some of those wells of support would start drying up.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)

A lot of different people across the world and in our own country hate America. All of these people should be locked up? I hate what China stands for with their atrocious labor and environmental standards. Should I be locked up in a Chinese prison for that?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)

You're naive.

Many people were turned in in Afghanistan for the reward money. There was never any evidence, except person X (Who was paid several thousand dollars) saying Person Y is a terrorist. Hundreds of people have already been released from Gitmo over the last 5 years because we found out that, hey, they really weren't terrorists and there was no evidence that they were.

Your line of logic is "If you've been arrested, you must be guilty. Why else would they arrest you?!" That is 100% opposite of our legal system. We don't "know" that these people are terrorists. We suspect it. You go to court, you present evidence, and you give a fair trial to prove your case.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 07:21 AM)
You're naive.

Many people were turned in in Afghanistan for the reward money. There was never any evidence, except person X (Who was paid several thousand dollars) saying Person Y is a terrorist. Hundreds of people have already been released from Gitmo over the last 5 years because we found out that, hey, they really weren't terrorists and there was no evidence that they were.

Your line of logic is "If you've been arrested, you must be guilty. Why else would they arrest you?!" That is 100% opposite of our legal system. We don't "know" that these people are terrorists. We suspect it. You go to court, you present evidence, and you give a fair trial to prove your case.

Thank you

...when we start actually letting terrorists arbitrarily go free is when I will start getting pissed off. That has not happened, but you'd think it would with the overreaction to this.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
Thank you

...when we start actually letting terrorists arbitrarily go free is when I will start getting pissed off. That has not happened.

Its GOING to happen, I would bet you money. If terrorists are going to get the same rights as everyone else, they are going to get the same kind of odds at getting off in court. That's a part of our system, just ask OJ how well the justice system works.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
Its GOING to happen, I would bet you money. If terrorists are going to get the same rights as everyone else, they are going to get the same kind of odds at getting off in court. That's a part of our system, just ask OJ how well the justice system works.

Short of rigging the system in a way that's completely counterproductive to the point of having a trial in the first place (in order to guarantee conviction, which would make us look pretty banana republic) there isn't a better alternative.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)

I had thought it already happened, but then I came across this link while looking for a supporting article:

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/06/21/gitmo-report-scalia/

That doesn't mean it WON'T happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)

there's a difference between celebrity and possible terrorist. somehow i doubt they'll get the same leniency.