Scotty Pods

BUZZ

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
Jim left the team on his own for more money. That will get alot of players boooed. Most fans don't like players who seem greedy and leave. It's mostly just Sox fans who blame management when guys like Ordonez leave for more money. Most fans on other teams blame the player. Like someone said earlier Sox fans are a fickle bunch. I for one don't boo anyone who is working thier rear off. I my boo a bad play but not the player everytime.

In this day and age, booing somebody for (gasp) wanting to take another 20 million dollars to play elsewhere is naive, and borderline stupid actually.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
In this day and age, booing somebody for (gasp) wanting to take another 20 million dollars to play elsewhere is naive, and borderline stupid actually.

I agree. They should be able to get whatever they can. I don't begrudge any player for this. I'm just saying from working at the different ballparks fans tend to feel betrayed by the perception of greed and boo these players. That's why Thome gets booed in cleveland. He comes off as a good guy (which he is) but then leaves Cleveland for more money.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
I agree. They should be able to get whatever they can. I don't begrudge any player for this. I'm just saying from working at the different ballparks fans tend to feel betrayed by the perception of greed and boo these players. That's why Thome gets booed in cleveland. He comes off as a good guy (which he is) but then leaves Cleveland for more money.

Agreed too. I think what I'm saying here is that people from Cleveland are stupid?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:00 AM)
I will not boo anyone from that 05 team.

^^^

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:06 AM)
I won't be at the game, but I'd cheer him if I were there. Why the hell not? Without his dominant first half, clutch September and amazing postseason, we'd be on year #91 without a title.

^^^

Agrees with Hizzle. But I will say that no way in hell, even with the dominant pitching, we sport a 15 game lead in August (turned out we needed just about all of that 15 game cushion just to hold the Indians off) without Pod's all-star first half. Especially with most of the other regulars struggling offensively most of the first half.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
The pitching staff says hello.

I meant by any one individual player. Without Pods' ability to get on, steal a base, get to 3rd by Iguchi, and score on a fly out was unbelieveable.

Man, the Carlos Lee trade looked bad at the time. :lolhitting

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
I meant by any one individual player. Without Pods' ability to get on, steal a base, get to 3rd by Iguchi, and score on a fly out was unbelieveable.

Man, the Carlos Lee trade looked bad at the time. :lolhitting

Not really, Lee was a salary dump and we got Pods and Vizcaino who was decent. Then with the money we saved we signed Hermy, AJ, and Gooch. Even at the time I wasn't pissed off. He wasn't staying beyond that year anyway.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:29 AM)
I'm sure that he's an awesome dude, though!

You know what...I met him down in Tucson and he was pretty much a dick.......

I love the Game 2 walk-off but I don't understand this standing O crap......

When Big Frank came back...YES.....he did deserve a standing ovation...but Scotty Pods????

I say just don't boo...I don't know why we would boo but yea I don't think he warrants a standing O

He's not gong to get a standing O, but he should be cheered loudly.

These guys received the love at the victory parade and the season after with numerous

standing Os.

But he should and I'm sure will receive cheers. Whether it turns into a prolonged ovation,

might be a spur of the moment decision of the fans.

No, Marte shouldn't get a strong ovation if he comes back.

Pods was more than a bit player on that team.

I hope that's thick sarcasm because Scott Podsednik won't kill anything this weekend but a fly, and he might not even kill that.

Hope you are right, Soxfan. You know as well as I do, former Sox tend to own us.

I'd love to see Pods come up to bat with a standing ovation and then he tips his helmet to the fans. That would make me feel good. He most certainly deserves to be cheered. Everyone on that 2005 team does.

scott18.jpg

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
You know what...I met him down in Tucson and he was pretty much a dick.......

I love the Game 2 walk-off but I don't understand this standing O crap......

When Big Frank came back...YES.....he did deserve a standing ovation...but Scotty Pods????

I say just don't boo...I don't know why we would boo but yea I don't think he warrants a standing O

And I met him and he was awesome, took a picture with me and everything.

Sometimes it depends where and when you catch these guys.

Not in the lineup today. :headbang

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
And I met him and he was awesome, took a picture with me and everything.

Sometimes it depends where and when you catch these guys.

Not in the lineup today. :headbang

yea you're probably right...plus he was standing next to AJ so I bet he wanted to be a tough guy....

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
Jim left the team on his own for more money. That will get alot of players boooed. Most fans don't like players who seem greedy and leave. It's mostly just Sox fans who blame management when guys like Ordonez leave for more money. Most fans on other teams blame the player. Like someone said earlier Sox fans are a fickle bunch. I for one don't boo anyone who is working thier rear off. I my boo a bad play but not the player everytime.

I recall like a $20-30 million difference and a couple years on the contract too...maybe it's cuz I was pretty young still, but it seemed like a no-doubter to me.

It also depends on how the player gets more money. If the player legitimately gets a better offer - say Bartolo Colon after the 2003 season - I wouldn't be as mad about it. The Sox offered him like 3/$36 while the Angels offered 4/$52...that's an additional year along with a higher average salary. I think it would suck to lose Colon, but I'd respect it. In the case of Magglio Ordonez, where he fries any chance the team had at resigning him by hiring an agent that just really does not work with the team, then I think he deserves a booing. Good for him for getting his money, but f*** him too for ruining the chance of returning.

(it was very hard to think of Sox examples...they generally either trade the players in the last year of the contract or resign them)

I also wouldn't have booed Frank Thomas upon returning to the Cell if the Sox had made a legitimate offer for him to return and he'd gotten a pretty lucrative deal on the free agent market. Neither happened, so that's pretty much meaningless. I would compare those two in that regard though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Agrees with Hizzle. But I will say that no way in hell, even with the dominant pitching, we sport a 15 game lead in August (turned out we needed just about all of that 15 game cushion just to hold the Indians off) without Pod's all-star first half. Especially with most of the other regulars struggling offensively most of the first half.

There are a several hundred #1 reasons why that team won the division. You can't just point out one factor and say without this the team yada yada...if you take out literally any player on that team and replace him with someone just a little worse, the Sox wouldn't have won the division.