the things kids are being taught these days...

juddling

well....it's one thing I guess if it's being taught in a country far, far away but somehow i think that Virginia doesn't apply....

McLEAN, Va. (AP) — Textbooks at a private Islamic school in northern Virginia teach students that it is permissible for Muslims to kill adulterers and converts from Islam, according to a federal investigation released Wednesday.

Other passages in the school's textbooks state that "the Jews conspired against Islam and its people" and that Muslims are permitted to take the lives and property of those deemed "polytheists."

The passages were found in selected textbooks used during the 2007-08 school year by the Islamic Saudi Academy, which teaches 900 students in grades K-12 at two campuses in Alexandria and Fairfax and receives much of its funding from the Saudi government.

The academy has come under scrutiny from critics who allege that it fosters an intolerant brand of Islam similar to that taught in the conservative Saudi kingdom. In the review, the panel recommended that the school make all of its textbooks available to the State Department so changes can be made before the next school year.

The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, a panel formed by Congress, last year recommended that the school be closed amid concerns that it promotes violence and too closely mimics the conservative Saudi educational system.

The commission made its recommendation last year to close the school even though it had not reviewed the textbooks. Now that some have been reviewed, "we feel more confident that the potential problems we flagged before really are there," said the commission's spokeswoman, Judith Ingram.

School officials have long denied that the academy fosters intolerance. It has acknowledged that some of the Saudi textbooks contain harsh language, but says that the texts have improved in recent years and are revised as needed by the academy before being distributed to students.

School officials and the State Department did not immediately respond to phone calls and an e-mail seeking comment Wednesday.

The commission said it obtained 17 of the academy's textbooks through a variety of channels, including from members of Congress. The texts did appear to contain numerous revisions, including pages that were removed or passages that were whited out, but numerous troubling passages remained, according to the panel:

_ The authors of a 12th-grade text on Koranic interpretation state that apostates (those who convert from Islam), adulterers and people who murder Muslims can be permissibly killed.

_ The authors of a 12th-grade text on monotheism write that "(m)ajor polytheism makes blood and wealth permissible," meaning that a Muslim can take with impunity the life and property of someone believed guilty of polytheism. According to the panel, the strict Saudi interpretation of polytheism includes Shiite and Sufi Muslims as well as Christians, Jews, Hindus, and Buddhists.

_ A social studies text offers the view that Jews were responsible for the split between Sunni and Shiite Muslims: "The cause of the discord: The Jews conspired against Islam and its people. A sly, wicked person who sinfully and deceitfully professed Islam infiltrated (the Muslims)."

More generally, the panel found that the academy textbooks hold the view that the Muslim world was strong when united under a single caliph, the Arabic language and the Sunni creed, and that Muslims have grown weak because of foreign influence and internal divisions.

:unsure: :unsure:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
As much as I don't like it, they are free to teach whatever they want.

That's mostly true, but I have to say, the promotion of violence that is clearly illegal here is a worry. I don't think that should slide.

The other rhetoric, as long as it doesn't absolve homicide, is fine for a private school.

As long as they aren't openly promotiong radicalization and/or endorsing jihad I don't see any justification for stepping in, or anything like that since it's a private school. I might not be a fan of the rhetoric, but we have to promote freedom of religion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
As much as I don't like it, they are free to teach whatever they want.

That's true, but as soon as they start teaching that it's ok to kill someone then i have no problem with them being shut down or monitored. I also would be doing a hard look at anyone who sent their kids there.

I don't find it shocking that crazy things are being taught at a religious school. I bet a lot of religious schools, no matter what the religion are being taught hate and things that are lies about the past.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
I don't find it shocking that crazy things are being taught at a religious school. I bet a lot of religious schools, no matter what the religion are being taught hate and things that are lies about the past.

I've gone to catholic school my whole life, and not once was I taught to hate.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
I've gone to catholic school my whole life, and not once was I taught to hate.

I was a Catholic school lifer as well, and while i was never taught to hate, I was exposed to historic Christian ideological writing that was every bit is extreme as in this Muslim school.

Just consider the litany of offenses punishable by death in Leviticus 20:

Curse your father and mother? Put to death!

Commit adultery? Put to death!

Have gay relations? Put to death!

Commit beastiality? Put to death!

Neighbors think you're a wizard? Put to death!

Sleep with a menstruating woman? Bad. . . but not quite kill you bad. Both parties cast out from society.

Few modern Christians adhere to these proscriptions to be sure, but they still read the historic passages that lay them out. How is that different from students in a Muslim school reading that the Koran has passages in it advocating that converts from Islam, adulterers and people who murder Muslims can be permissibly killed?

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Well I guess this is as appropriate a place as any to post this:

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?

October 2002

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,

Jim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
I was a Catholic school lifer as well, and while i was never taught to hate, I was exposed to historic Christian ideological writing that was every bit is extreme as in this Muslim school.

Just consider the litany of offenses punishable by death in Leviticus 20:

Curse your father and mother? Put to death!

Commit adultery? Put to death!

Have gay relations? Put to death!

Commit beastiality? Put to death!

Neighbors think you're a wizard? Put to death!

Sleep with a menstruating woman? Bad. . . but not quite kill you bad. Both parties cast out from society.

Few modern Christians adhere to these proscriptions to be sure, but they still read the historic passages that lay them out. How is that different from students in a Muslim school reading that the Koran has passages in it advocating that converts from Islam, adulterers and people who murder Muslims can be permissibly killed?

Just wanted to make sure that there was understanding here. There is a difference between the old Mosaic law that was needed before Christ came and what is followed now. You don't see any Christians out sacrificing sheep or anything like that because the old things have passed, and I doubt that you would see any Christian following those. You would be completely missing a main point of Christianity in that Christ's death and resurrection gave a direct access to God.

Of course that was probably your point. It is all about what is being taught. Are they being taught that they killing is a valid punishment for not being like them, or are they being taught that the old way of things has passed away? Does Islam have something like this? Maybe, but I do not remember studying that at all. The problem is that we are seeing people being killed and these Islamic laws being followed. That is the difference that I see.

Now that I have derailed this, back to your regularly scheduled program.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Just wanted to make sure that there was understanding here. There is a difference between the old Mosaic law that was needed before Christ came and what is followed now. You don't see any Christians out sacrificing sheep or anything like that because the old things have passed, and I doubt that you would see any Christian following those. You would be completely missing a main point of Christianity in that Christ's death and resurrection gave a direct access to God.

Of course that was probably your point. It is all about what is being taught. Are they being taught that they killing is a valid punishment for not being like them, or are they being taught that the old way of things has passed away? Does Islam have something like this? Maybe, but I do not remember studying that at all. The problem is that we are seeing people being killed and these Islamic laws being followed. That is the difference that I see.

Now that I have derailed this, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Not exactly - well, that's a subject of debate even within Islam as to how to actually interpret the Koran. The thing isn't written in chronlogical order and there are parts that have gotten lost centuries ago so in some places it's hard to say what the last guidance was, are they supposed to kill/forcibly convert the infidels or are they supposed to live with them peacefully? At some point in his life God said both things to Mohammed but they were under different circumstances.

Also apostasy is punishable by death within Islam, that much I can say for certain, it isn't even an extremist view.

The way the article is framing the situation, these are modern text books which are used as course material which encourage killing people. That is definitely illegal. If one of these kids kill someone the teachers in that school will probably get locked up, kind of a situation like Matthew Hale.

There is a difference to reading ancient texts and then discussing them as compared to using a modern text which calls for violence. The bible can be read in historical context, as this is the way laws used to be. This text book seems to suggest this is the way things need to be now.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Well I guess this is as appropriate a place as any to post this:

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?

October 2002

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,

Jim

I'm not sure thats an acutal letter. It seems to be a recap of the speech Martin Sheen made in the West Wing to a "Dr. Laura-esque" character.

Here's that scene:

BARTLET

I'm sorry, um... you're Dr. Jenna Jacobs, right?

JENNA JACOBS

Yes, sir.

BARTLET

It's good to have you here.

JENNA JACOBS

Thank you.

BARTLET

The awesome impact of the airwaves and how that translates into the furthering

of our national

discussions but obviously also how it can... how it can...

He sighs, and addresses Jenna Jacobs again.

BARTLET

Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an M.D.?

JENNA JACOBS

Ph.D.

BARTLET

A Ph.D.?

JENNA JACOBS

Yes, sir.

BARTLET

In Psychology?

JENNA JACOBS

No sir.

BARTLET

Theology?

JENNA JACOBS

No.

BARTLET

Social work?

JENNA JACOBS

I have a Ph.D. in English Literature.

BARTLET

I'm asking, 'cause on your show, people call in for advice and you go by

the name of

Dr. Jacobs on your show. And I didn't know if maybe your listeners were

confused by that,

and assumed you had advanced training in Psychology, Theology, or health care.

JENNA JACOBS

I don't believe they are confused, no sir.

BARTLET

Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

JENNA JACOBS

I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.

BARTLET

Yes, it does. Leviticus.

JENNA JACOBS

18:22

BARTLET

Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had

you here.

I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned

in Exodus 21:7.

(small chuckles from the guests) She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent

Italian, and

always clears the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for